PDA

View Full Version : Deck has power but no output to speakers

pontiacFan
04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Just recently installed a Kenwood (KDC-X659) deck in a 91 pontiac firefly which had it's stock stereo installed at first. Refer to my recent post here: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=4102804#post4102804

I took the advice of sr20s14zenki:

"Best way i can recommend is to take a test light, and find your constant power, ignition power, and ground. After you have found those, take a 9v battery and start trying pairs of wire. Should hear pops thru the speaker you are energizing."

I matched all the correct wires and got power to the deck. I then connected all the speaker wires by testing each wire individually and IT WORKED! All the speakers were playing music perfectly and everything was looking up. But then something weird happened. When I drove the car home all the sound from the speakers stopped halfway through a song. I thought it was just a fluke and went home. The next morning it was working again. And now all sound has completely stopped.

I investigated the issue and found this:

The power is working (no blown fuse), all the speakers are working, I cut the crimped wires and tested with a battery (heard the popping noise) then reconnected the wires. -still no sound- I've went through all the settings on the deck to see if the speakers have been muted some how but still no luck. Has anyone experienced something like this before? Could this be from hardwire installation that the positive and negative wires from the kenwood deck plug in are connected to the wrong ones on the car wires?

90accord
04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Make sure it's grounded properly to a ground other then the black from the car, it may be grounding through the antenna which causes problems! I had that issue in my truck and changed it to a solid ground and it fixed it!

Graham_A_M
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Is the deck wholly turning off? or just the deck stays on, but the sound disappears?

If your deck resets and you lose all your settings, its likely a grounding/wiring issue. If only the speakers cut out, it'll be something else, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

sr20s14zenki
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Yep, sounds like a grounding issue. Make sure your grounding surface is nice and clean, sand it down to metal if you must. most decks have a safety system in place, where they will shut down the outputs if they cannot correctly cycle the power. Typically it shows up as the speakers work quietly, but as soon as you turn it up, it shuts down.

The wiring pinout for the geo metro didnt work for you?

RickDaTuner
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
You're grounding out one of the speaker leads to chassis ground. when you turn it up the deck its turning off the amp to protect it due to you pulling 0hms through it.

Follow this wiring diagram to connect your speakers

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/955.html

sr20s14zenki
04-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Your grounding out one of the speaker leads to chassis ground, when you turn it up the deck is turning off th amp to protect it due to you pulling 0hms through it.

Follow this wiring diagram to connect your speakers

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/955.html

That would be something to check, but i have had it happen, where i had a less than adequate ground from the deck, and it shut down all channels as soon as i would turn it up. Sanding and putting a proper connector on the end, remedied the problem right away. Check both, Rick is also well versed in car (=

Graham_A_M
04-08-2013, 08:36 PM
^ same here man, I had my own car audio company since I was 17, I closed the doors to it when I was 19, since Calgary is BRUTAL towards getting people to buy your product if they've never heard of you. Which isn't easy without investors, being a broke ass 19 year old.
I now have 17 years in the car audio sector. Starting when I was 13. ;)