PDA

View Full Version : Tax Help While Seperated

2.2vtec
04-08-2013, 08:14 PM
A friend of mine just tried to file his taxes using Ufile but his martial status changed from married to separated.

His ex spouse has not filed her taxes and the program is asking:

"*Net federal income of your ex-spouse (line 236 of his or her return) Warning: Do not use an estimated income below the actual. "

She has not filed her taxes yet and he wants to file his taxes separately as they did when they were married.

Any advice on what he should do? I'm assuming he just needs to go to a tax accountant?

Davetronz
04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
I had the same problem last year.
Ended up having to wait for her to do her taxes (which meant that I ended up doing them for her) and then getting the value from there. I'm sure tax accountants might have better info, but that's what I did when I was doing it online.

triplep
04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Here is what you your buddy is missing

"Warning: Do not use an estimated income below the actual."

The reason is saying this is because if he uses say 0, then the program will automatically allow him the dependant amount and claim to many credits for him that he isn't entitled to. Also, it says not to use an estimated income below the actual, if he puts enough income so that he isn't entitled to any transfer amounts, heck if he is worried, just put her income at 100k and he should be fine. As you are providing an estimate, that most likely won't be below her actual income.