PDA

View Full Version : Elysium

beecue
04-09-2013, 05:59 PM
oIBtePb-dGY

Looks sick. I really enjoyed District 9. It would have been nice if Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp had done the Halo movie.

drtoohotty1
04-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I like the Bugatti emblem lol

Xtrema
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by beecue

Looks sick. I really enjoyed District 9. It would have been nice if Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp had done the Halo movie.

Seems like a lot concept work for Halo ended up here.

Tram Common
04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Seems like a lot concept work for Halo ended up here.

Nah, Blomkamp just has a thing for "space stations" ... all his stories, going back to well before Halo even existed, have some sort of spaceship or station in them.

Looks awesome. I can't wait. District 9 breathed life back into the then dying science fiction film genre... let's hope this, along with all the other upcoming sci-fi blockbusters, continue that trend into perpetuity.

beecue
06-17-2013, 03:47 PM
-RSDaRttpzk

403Gemini
06-17-2013, 04:05 PM
2nd trailer makes it look like a movie with a plot

I will see this :D

ZEDGE
06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Wow, now it makes sense. HAHA

Looks good.

finboy
06-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Gonna be seeing that

Tik-Tok
06-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
Wow, now it makes sense. HAHA

Looks good.

:werd:

Not just "I have to get to Elysium..." They could have included a bit of the plot in the original, lol.

403ep3
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Hah first trailer was just a bunch of random scenes. +1 for trailer 2 explaining a lot more

Xtrema
06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Hah first trailer was just a bunch of random scenes. +1 for trailer 2 explaining a lot more

Well, after trailer 2, I don't think I need to watch the movie any more. It gave everything away.

cherpintow
08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Went and saw this yesterday. Very solid movie. If you're into futuristic gadgets and like sci-fi you will probably like this movie. A bit of cheesey stuff but I was so blown away by the creativity of the future technology that I let it slide.

beecue
08-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah it was pretty good but not as good as District 9. I had a hard time understanding the spider guy.

Super_Geo
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Movie was very heavy handed and all of its characters one-dimensional... really had higher hopes for it, was a big fan of District 9 and Matt Damon is one of my favorite actors.

6.5/10

Kloubek
08-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree with Super_Geo, but actually enjoyed it. I mean, it's in essence an action flick so you expect some cheese and questionable characters. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Manhattan
08-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Very disappointed with this movie. So many heavy handed and eye rolling moments. The story was complete garbage and wasn't impressed with sci-fi element. Thought the medibed in the trailer was just a small glimpse of future tech and it ended up being the main focal point. And it wasn't all that interesting. Just shines some light over you and you're cured. Almost fell asleep during the second half of the movie.

Some of the dumbest moments include: Hacking into the system in less than a minute and changing Earth citizens from illegal to legal fixes everything. "Rebooting" the entire system like a laptop. Medibeds laid out in the kitchen of every home in Elysium.

This movie did not have a brain.

cycosis
08-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Disappointed as well. Weak story, Jody Foster over acting, twitchy cameras... no where near as good as District 9.

Still blown away the bad guy with the sword was the main character in District 9.

BlackRadon
08-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Heard a few people snoring... Nuff said. I agree with the last few posted. Disappointed.

DeleriousZ
08-17-2013, 11:48 AM
saw it last night, should have saw pacific rim instead...

403Gemini
08-17-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm a bit torn on it...

*Minor Spoilers below*

I did enjoy it, but it was nowhere near the quality of District 9. I felt the characters were extremely one dimensional and I really didn't care about anybody - even Matt Damon.

Also I wasn't very impressed with the exoskeleton use. It did nothing other than rip a harness off a crashed ship and tear a head off of a droid, that's about it.

Krugar wasn't used to his full potential. I expected him to be a bit more ruthless and menacing... Sharlto Copley was EXCELLENT in District 9. I hated Wikus in the beginning , but you really sympathized with him towards the middle/end, even though you could see his selfishness throughout the entire film. In this, I found him to be a more annoying villain. Maybe it's his voice, but he didn't seem threatening in any manor and never really a threat.

The bouncy cam was fucking aggravating. It's always been one of my main gripes and the only movie I found it worked in was the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, every other movie it's simply laziness. Be it Transformers, Hunger Games, to Elysium - bouncy cam used inappropriately - and consistently throughout the ENTIRE film - is terrible. I'd rather watch a fucking 3D movie and I hate 3D.

I feel the film got tied up WAAAAY too much on the health care issue discussed above. The inspiration was really interesting for this film, Blomkamp was in Mexico and got picked up by a corrupt mexican cop with another director (or producer... i forget, they were shooting a Nike commercial if I recall) and he said when they ended up paying the cop off, he dropped them off in middle of nowhere, so they had to walk back to America. When they got to the border, after walking through all these slums - they saw the border in middle of the night with these giant flood lights staring down at these poor neighbourhoods & people in mexico and he realized how stark the contrast is of the "free world" just 50 feet away , right next to poverty. They never TOTALLY explored this in the film but rather "Hey, we just want to get up there to get cured!" I mean, I understand the health care message , but I felt almost guilty that I was sympathizing with the people on Elysium. I wouldn't be happy if I worked my bag off to live up there, and then random drop ships were appearing for homeless people to smash in my windows and use my medicare bed.

That being said.... (major spoilers below)

When all people were activated as being citizens of Elysium and drop ships landed which had the beds in them, and were droid operated - i then sympathized with the people on earth because I just thought "Well, NOW the people of Elysium just look lazy that they had this and didn't want to help the people of Earth, and they wouldn't have had to even lift a finger.

One big issue I had as well is - congrats - you wrote a code/virus/boot sequence to change the code of all people everywhere to be citizens in Elysium. What's to say , 24 hours later somebody on Elysium doesn't simply code it back and everything reverts back to normal?

I'd give the movie a 7/10 (being generous because I enjoy sci-fi...). I did enjoy it, but didn't like that literally ALL of the action scenes were in the trailer. Trailers are giving away TOO much - like District 9 - i remember the trailer of the robot suit catching the rocket the guy was firing at the space ship - that was a pinnacle moment in the plot, so when I watched the film, i felt no tension in that moment since i knew it was coming.

anarchy
08-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Saw this last night and like most, was really disappointed. I was a huge fan of District 9 - what made D9 so brilliant was the deeper story and indirect storytelling that indirectly addressed apartheid in South Africa. They kept the storyline simple and really let Copley shine through as an actor. It created enough emotion that you actually sympathized with the prawns.

In Elysium, there was none of that. The plot was overcomplicated, they never really developed any characters, I never felt emotionally tied to Matt Damon in any way. In fact, this is one of those times where an unknown would have worked out better than using a movie star as the main character. I didn't see Max in the movie, I saw Matt Damon. The story started off great, thought it had potential for a great movie tying into healthcare and illegal aliens.

Spoilers:
I didn't even know who pinpiont as the bad guy. Was it Kruger? Jodi Foster? The people of Elysium? And how is it possible that Spider's crew had huge ass high tech monitors and equipment, and they were relying on a 17 inch laptop to do the 'hacking"? I guess tablets don't exist in the future.

Manhattan nailed it - how does 'rebooting' solve anything for longer than a few hours lol. So people rush the medicare ships....now what?

Overall, very disappointed. The special effects were great, some cool tech (even then it wasn't used to it's full potential), but overall there was no soul to this movie.

5/10 - and even that might be generous. Would not watch again.

403Gemini
08-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Another gripe: All the cool guns were used for a total of about 30 seconds each.

finboy
08-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I really liked the first half, but it went downhill REALLY fast after that

Hopefully the next effort by the director is more solid, I hear it has die antwoord at least :dunno:

jwslam
08-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by anarchy
I guess tablets don't exist in the future.

Originally posted by Manhattan
Thought the medibed in the trailer was just a small glimpse of future tech and it ended up being the main focal point.
In this last scene here, I saw a robot holding a tablet and thought WTF.

Nobody else caught that?

403Gemini
08-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I also thought the exoskeleton was underutilized as well.

One thing that really drew my interest to this movie was the exoskeleton. When I saw the trailer and Damon getting the exoskeleton put on, I thought it would have had a lot more to do with the plot other than simply being a brain implant to hold information for Spyder. He used it's strength to what? Rip off a droids head & tear off a harness when a ship crashed?

I expected the radiation to completely incapacitate Damon's characters body and the exoskeleton would be like an engine controlling him - but this wasn't the case. In fact he still keeled over a few times because of the radiation, even with the suit on.

In the trailer when Spyder says "Whoever has this, has the power to override their whole system" i was expecting it to be something about the suit - as in it could connect into their computers, control missile defense systems, etc. - however nobody survived the procedure of having it implanted (especially when he says post surgery "This ain't gonna kill me")

I don't know, maybe it was foolish of me to expect some sci-fi in a sci-fi movie lol. Turned out, he was a glorified flash drive!

403Gemini
08-18-2013, 10:06 AM
OH YEAH

And how the fuck did dubstep survive 140 years? lol

DeleriousZ
08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
OH YEAH

And how the fuck did dubstep survive 140 years? lol

it's been around for 20 years already, no reason it couldn't last another 140 lol

Tik-Tok
08-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

it's been around for 20 years already, no reason it couldn't last another 140 lol

It probably came and went 10 times, lol.

C_Dave45
12-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Forgot all about this in the summer. Just downloaded a great MKV copy and watched it last night. I liked it. Better than District 9 actually.
It's a futuristic action movie...cheese is the main ingredient. Still a great movie.

Inzane
12-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Just downloaded a great MKV copy and watched it

I liked it.... a great movie.

So... will you be sending money to the studio now that you've watched it and enjoyed it? (Or was that a paid download?)

blairtruck
12-23-2013, 06:13 PM
i just watched a great mkv also. thought it was a good movie. not great but good.
anything under 2 hours is what i like in my movie experience. 3 hours blah

C_Dave45
12-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

So... will you be sending money to the studio now that you've watched it and enjoyed it? (Or was that a paid download?) Yeah I'll get right on that... :rofl:

Originally posted by blairtruck
i just watched a great mkv also. thought it was a good movie. not great but good.
anything under 2 hours is what i like in my movie experience. 3 hours blah

What movie did you watch? Elysium is 1:49

blairtruck
12-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Yeah I'll get right on that... :rofl:

What movie did you watch? Elysium is 1:49

i liked it was not 2 hours. and blah to any 3 hour movie i meant