PDA

View Full Version : what ever happened to that car rental guy

spikerS
04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Not too far back in the past there was a guy on here that was going to start up an exotic car rental in YYC.

Tried searching for it, but came up empty, was hoping for an update. Was going to rent an Aston Martin for a weekend for kicks sometime and wanted to see about pricing.

jwslam
04-10-2013, 07:24 AM
singulari
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/new-business-start-up-in-calgary/showthread.php?threadid=337214&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Singulari-Experience/164352023646432

max_boost
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
So they are done? That went well.

lilmira
04-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Didn't sound like a viable business in this city. If he can make it work, props to the guy though.

CanmoreOrLess
04-10-2013, 08:39 AM
He was selling silver and gold memberships, one wonders if any buyers got their money back. The silver sold out and the gold had room for two more, this was all a few weeks before the project seems to have gone pear shaped. One assumes deposits were taken or the memberships were paid in full, they were even taking bookings on their website for cars. The whole thing does not pass the smell test, no recent updates, no public "project dead" postings, website down, etc.

His old website frozen in time. I guess posting rentals with euro plates makes this all so real:

http://novavon7.wix.com/singulari-revamp

*DEAD until proven otherwise.

*was branded a scam, I'll dial it back to a failed business idea until and/or someone comes forward and chimes "I was ripped off".

JRSC00LUDE
04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I get what you're saying but I'd be inclined to reserve that judgement till you start actually getting stories from people who are out their money over it. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
04-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I get what you're saying but I'd be inclined to reserve that judgement till you start actually getting stories from people who are out their money over it. :dunno:

:werd:

If it was a true scam, I'm sure more than a couple of his members would have found his thread via google, and commented by now. Either the business hasn't managed to fully start yet (it is still winter conditions after all), or they've gotten refunds, or promises of.

Most of Beyond is so eager to jump to conclusions these days.

heavyfuel
04-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Didn't sound like a viable business in this city.

Is there even such a thing?

Xtrema
04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Viable business in general or just this car time-share in particular?

anyone got the membership and rules on this place? There's nothing concrete on the website on how it works.

89s1
04-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Just because your business is failing doesn't mean they all do.

Kloubek
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

ZING!!

CanmoreOrLess
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:werd:

If it was a true scam, I'm sure more than a couple of his members would have found his thread via google, and commented by now. Either the business hasn't managed to fully start yet (it is still winter conditions after all), or they've gotten refunds, or promises of.

Most of Beyond is so eager to jump to conclusions these days.

Corrected from a scam to a wait and see.

heavyfuel
04-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Sure looks like this one did lol, regardless of your astonishingly astute observation.

Tej.S
04-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ZR Autos going to start an exotic rental business?

cancer man
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Tej.S
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ZR Autos going to start an exotic rental business?

I thought it was submarines..

fiveowed
04-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Tej.S

http://www.zrauto.ca/article/2/calgary-driving-experiences.html

well you can get a half hour ride in the enzo, for only $999.95 :nut:

redline
04-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by fiveowed

http://www.zrauto.ca/article/2/calgary-driving-experiences.html

well you can get a half hour ride in the enzo, for only $999.95 :nut:

For that kind of money,you should be able to drive it...

speedog
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by redline
For that kind of money,you should be able to drive it...
K, then you buy one and start up a business offering just that.

If ZR Auto wants to charge whatever they like for a client to sit as a passenger in one of their cars, then so be it - it's probably just gravy money to them. Yeah, a thousand bucks sounds steep but until someone else comes along in the marketplace with a better offer, then it's their game alone to compete in.

nobb
04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
If I recall, this guy's core business model seemed to solely be to rent these high end automobiles. ZR Auto actually seems to offer sales, service, and etc...with the high end rental as a side service offering. This service on it's own is perhaps not even that profitable, or even acts as a loss leader. But it's solely for promotional purposes or to gain a certain "image" for the business to make it stand out.

Many car manufacturers have loss leaders, like the GT-R, LFA, Chevy Volt, Viper etc etc...but those products only serve as a company image. The real gravy is in selling the boring Corollas, Civics, and etc.

rage2
04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by nobb
If I recall, this guy's core business model seemed to solely be to rent these high end automobiles. ZR Auto actually seems to offer sales, service, and etc...with the high end rental as a side service offering. This service on it's own is perhaps not even that profitable, or even acts as a loss leader. But it's solely for promotional purposes or to gain a certain "image" for the business to make it stand out.
I think the whole ZR Auto side of the business is a loss leader, or a clever scheme to write off a ton of car expenses for his own cars. The money is in the pawn shops and check cashing side of the business. There's not a lot of turnover in terms of inventory there from what I've seen, that Mini and the Novatec Ferarris have been on the site for years now. It also looks like they've switched focus to tuning cars now. Surely tuning his own Enzo doesn't make any money lol.

Tik-Tok
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I think the whole ZR Auto side of the business is a loss leader, or a clever scheme to write off a ton of car expenses for his own cars. The money is in the pawn shops and check cashing side of the business. There's not a lot of turnover in terms of inventory there from what I've seen, that Mini and the Novatec Ferarris have been on the site for years now. It also looks like they've switched focus to tuning cars now. Surely tuning his own Enzo doesn't make any money lol.

He probably wrote off the Enzo accident as "advertising costs" in his taxes :rofl:

Tej.S
04-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Still can't believe he ended up in the water in his "ZXX" lol. From what I've heard, he's a real genuine guy though and a lot of the cars in his showroom are f*cking gorgeous(crappy decals aside).