PDA

View Full Version : Lottery

hadson
04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
hello,

i have searched this forum have not found anything on this topic thus creating a thread. does anyone here play the lotto?. i know it is a gamble and the chances of winning are not much at all. i just had a question what is the best way to play the lottery by combo? (lets you win multiple prizes) i see 9 number combo for max and 649 going for like 168$ giving you like 9 numbers 84 diff selections etc. is that really worth it or is it better to just buy like 75 2$ plays that gives you one six number selection witch is about 75 just looking for serious answers

Thanks in advance.

Tik-Tok
04-10-2013, 09:58 PM
You get no discount for the combo plays, the chances are the same for the dollar amount, it just makes it easier to give more of your money away.

hadson
04-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You get no discount for the combo plays, the chances are the same for the dollar amount, it just makes it easier to give more of your money away.

i know but my question was witch one is better to play if you spend 168$ 9 number combo 84 selections or getting like 75 2$ plays the odds of winning something/

Edit sorry didn't read it properly so the chances are basically the same if you go with either?

Tik-Tok
04-10-2013, 10:01 PM
It's easier to check your ticket with a single 9 number combo, instead of having 75 tix to check, lol.

hadson
04-10-2013, 10:03 PM
yea true it makes no difference then i assume whether you get 75 diff tix or one 9 number combo you're chances are equally the same was doing a little research if any others have a take on this let me know. and also it wouldn't matter if you pick you're own numbers or choose quick picks ?

eblend
04-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by hadson
also it wouldn't matter if you pick you're own numbers or choose quick picks ?

Well that depends if you think you have the lucky numbers. At the end of the day lottery is just a tax on people who are bad at math, so whichever way you want to waste your money, go for it, be it quick pick or own numbers. I would say go with the quick pick...not like you going to win anyways

Seth1968
04-11-2013, 07:50 AM
and also it wouldn't matter if you pick you're own numbers or choose quick picks ?

Lets say your lucky 6/49 numbers are 2-9-19-27-41-44. You buy one of those as well as a quick pick in which the numbers are 1-2-3-4-5-6. Which has the better odds of winning? Neither, they have the exact same odds.

Yet, tell someone to buy a 6/49 ticket using the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6, and they'll say, Those numbers will never come up you idiot".

CanmoreOrLess
04-11-2013, 08:17 AM
My wife used to buy the same set of numbers twice for one draw. She claimed when she wins, she gets a bigger piece of a shared pot. I was not certain if this was confidence or self-delusion as she is in general fairly lucky in games of chance.

The numbers have no idea as to their proper order, only humans place order on them. Certain numbers are picked more often as are certain numbers in numerical order.

I personally know of three major lotto winners, all did quick picks, so there is your "edge". I know of far more losers, we too practice the quick pick method.

GS430
04-11-2013, 08:26 AM
does anyone here play the lotto?. .

No, not at all.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8T1A4CEEQrA/T3BSEqu96PI/AAAAAAAAARw/aiOezHUuqrA/s1600/sarcastic+meme+face+-+you+don%2527t+save.jpg

Seth1968
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
There is no number or "combination" trick that will increase your odds. The only way to increase your odds is to spend more money.

a social dsease
04-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Lets say your lucky 6/49 numbers are 2-9-19-27-41-44. You buy one of those as well as a quick pick in which the numbers are 1-2-3-4-5-6. Which has the better odds of winning? Neither, they have the exact same odds.

Yet, tell someone to buy a 6/49 ticket using the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6, and they'll say, Those numbers will never come up you idiot".

While a ticket with the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6 has the same odds of winning as any other combination, the problem is that there are likely many people out there buying a ticket with 1-2-3-4-5-6. I bet if 1-2-3-4-5-6 ever was drawn it would end up being split among 50+ people. Therefore I think a set of completely random numbers is the best way to play.

hadson
04-11-2013, 11:10 AM
thanks for the input everyone

Supa Dexta
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I wish we could hold personal online lotteries where you get like 1000 ppl to put in 20 bux for a chance to win 15k or something

or 10,000 ppl at 5 bux and win 40k or something. 100k ppl 5bux for a chance to win 250k..etc..

You could skim the top pretty hard and its still a good amount to win at decent odds. Online its easy enough to round up a lot of people quickly and payal 5 bux.

spikerS
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
playing a block of numbers will increase your chances of winning, but only slightly. with each additional number you add to the block, you odds go up that you will win.

The idea behind the block relies on you being close to the winning numbers.

The idea is that if you buy a random QP, you might get 5/6 numbers. by buying a block, and every combination of that block, you increase your odds of winning versus buying an equal number of (random number) quick picks.

In the end, your odds are probably equal no matter which way you go.

Mibz
04-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by spikers
The idea is that if you buy a random QP, you might get 5/6 numbers. by buying a block, and every combination of that block, you increase your odds of winning versus buying an equal number of (random number) quick picks. lol wut?

Your last statement is correct.

If you buy 20 QP numbers you have the same chance of winning as if you buy a 20 consecutive numbers or 20 variations of the same numbers.

sillysod
04-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Unless Baby Jesus himself came down to you and told you which numbers to use you might as just well go ahead and use a quick pick.

I do not play the lottery (okay I buy a ticket MAYBE once every year or two), but know someone that does religiously. She uses the same number every time because it is easy for her to check them.

The best is the OMG I won $1800.00!!!!! When I inform her she spends probably $50.00/week on tickets she would need to win that every 9 months and really she is losing she just doesn't get it.

spikerS
04-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
lol wut?

Your last statement is correct.

If you buy 20 QP numbers you have the same chance of winning as if you buy a 20 consecutive numbers or 20 variations of the same numbers.

It is a slight, because if you are close, say 5/6 numbers, and the 6th number is in your block, then you have the winning ticket.

but your actual odds remain the same. I am horrible at explaining it. This whole method was explained to my by a mathematician in a conversation that I was able to follow for about 45 seconds.

spikerS
04-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Unless Baby Jesus himself came down to you and told you which numbers to use you might as just well go ahead and use a quick pick.

I do not play the lottery (okay I buy a ticket MAYBE once every year or two), but know someone that does religiously. She uses the same number every time because it is easy for her to check them.

The best is the OMG I won $1800.00!!!!! When I inform her she spends probably $50.00/week on tickets she would need to win that every 9 months and really she is losing she just doesn't get it.

the best lottery story I know is:

My grandparents (really just good family friends) played their family's birthdays religiously. One day, my grandfather was going out golfing with my step father and was told to buy the ticket. to which he forgot the numbers, and rather than calling home from the payphone, (pre cell phone days), he just got a quick pick.

When he gets home, my grandmother has like 8 people in their place, everyone bubbling over with excitement. My grandfather is like WTF? and My grandmother relates in hysterics that they won the 6/49.

My grandfather had to explain that he forgot the numbers and bought a quick pick.

Apparently he slept on the couch for a month and lost 15lbs because he had to do his own cooking.

Moonracer
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM

LOL that's like a savings account for idiots!

ExtraSlow
04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I liek the stampede lottery. My odds are still terrible for any of the big prizes, but I get some free entries to the grounds, plus a discount on rodeo tickets, so I'm not actually "out" much money at all.

I actually once built an "expected value" calculation into a spreadsheet, and the stampede lotteries are pretty close to an even bet if you make use of the free grounds entries and discounted tickets. I used to have a lot of time on my hands at work . . . . :rolleyes: :D

hadson
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I wish we could hold personal online lotteries where you get like 1000 ppl to put in 20 bux for a chance to win 15k or something

or 10,000 ppl at 5 bux and win 40k or something. 100k ppl 5bux for a chance to win 250k..etc..

You could skim the top pretty hard and its still a good amount to win at decent odds. Online its easy enough to round up a lot of people quickly and payal 5 bux.

this can work also with group play meaning we all pitch in 10$ or however much we would want and split the jackpot in the end our odds would be much more this way have like 20-40 people

AndyL
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I prefer that investors way of doing it - think it was on 20/20... wait till the jackpot gets big enough- buy every combination... but you've gotta be beyond "beyond baller" status to buy every number...lol

once upon a time i worked at a shop with a huge lottery pool - i swear they were buying 3-5k in quickpicks every week... every month they'd pay out winnings... it was awesome, paid my next months buy-in and a few cases of beer pretty much every month.

ExtraSlow
04-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Even buying every number combo is a losing proposition, as you end up splitting the jackpot with a bunch of other chumps. There is no winning "strategy" to standard lotteries.

Graham_A_M
04-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Yeah my best friends moms cousin plays religiously, and has for the last 19 years. I think she spends about $50-100 a week on it. She still has yet to win anything, and I calculated that at least, (@ $50/week) she would have spent $49k over that entire time on lottery tickets. At most (with the $100 weeks), it would have worked out to $98,000 over those 19 years.

I dont know about you guys, but I can buy a decent car for $98k. Yet what does she have to show for it? Nothing other then a HUGE pile of worthless paper that is useless.
Bravo! Way to use your fricking head. :nut:

But you know, thats all okay since next few months she's going to win big isn't she? :facepalm: Sometimes simple logic doesn't even work with people. Its like.... fuck.. :banghead:

codetrap
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I dont know about you guys, but I can buy a decent car for $98k. Yet what does she have to show for it? Nothing other then a HUGE pile of worthless paper that is useless.
Bravo! Way to use your fricking head. :nut:

But you know, thats all okay since next few months she's going to win big isn't she? :facepalm: Sometimes simple logic doesn't even work with people. Its like.... fuck.. :banghead: The same could be said for hookers, beer, dining out, movies, vacations, even cars or racing motorcycles. After they've depreciated to nothing, what do you have? Some worthless paper and a bunch of memories.

Tik-Tok
04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
The same could be said for hookers, beer, dining out, movies, vacations, even cars or racing motorcycles. After they've depreciated to nothing, what do you have? Some worthless paper and a bunch of memories.

Memories are better than a old lottery ticket though. I've never heard anyone want to talk about their ticket from years ago that didn't have a single winning number :rofl:

CD007
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Ya, no exaggeration on the "$50 a week"

Lol

Disoblige
04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Since we're talking about sensible spending... Record high pot for Lotto 6/49 tomorrow (55+ mill).

I'd be interested in starting a pool for just tomorrow's draw (max 25 people).
$50 per person, ends up with 625 lines ($1250.00).

I'll be the trustee, you'd just interac e-mail me the $50 and I'll add your name to the list. Deadline is tomorrow so not sure how plausible this plan is haha! Might make a new thread of there is enough interest.

Your trust to me is just based on this forum or if you know me. I would scan all 625 lines for you and no you will not be screwed. Monies won will be distributed accordingly. If it's not a lot of money, it will get redistributed into more tickets along with the free tickets.

Impulsive Beyond Ballers, where are you? :P

Kloubek
04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
My wife used to buy the same set of numbers twice for one draw. She claimed when she wins, she gets a bigger piece of a shared pot. I was not certain if this was confidence or self-delusion as she is in general fairly lucky in games of chance.

This is just plain silly.

She's right to a certain degree: If she were to win with this numbers and 1 other person won with the same numbers, she'd get 2/3 of the pot instead of half.... thereby increasing her winnings from 50% to 66.6%.

That isn't really a big increase though, when you consider she's paying double on her ticket to get that small increase. Also, if nobody else picks the same numbers (which is more common than not) she gets no extra amount since she's just competing with herself. That makes no sense.

If she decided to play a whole different set of numbers, she's doubling her chance of winning instead. To me, that is a much better investment.

Sorry man, I mean no offense, but your wife is a flake.

codetrap
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Memories are better than a old lottery ticket though. I've never heard anyone want to talk about their ticket from years ago that didn't have a single winning number :rofl: I don't disagree. However, it's her chosen form of entertainment. I would put a losing lottery ticket memory on par with having to go see a Twilight movie with my wife. I remember it, but I generally don't talk about it.

Now, that one time I did win $100, that was great! The victory feeling was much more on par with the first time I saw Star Wars. Of course, there was the one time that we had 5/6 numbers that were -1 of the draw numbers. I remember that pretty clearly, because I was amazed at how close, yet so far away we were.

I admit I buy the occasional ticket. Why? Because I like to daydream that my ticket is the big winner. I know intellectually that it's not going to win, but the entertainment value I get from planning all the stuff I'd do, like pay off my family/friends debts, setting up my nephews/nieces/friends kids education funds (that they don't know about), having a big party with all my real friends, perhaps somewhere tropical. There's a couple of former family members I'd consider putting a hit out on. I also have a good idea who my fair-weather friends are. Those are the ones I'd just ignore completely.

sillysod
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by CD007

Ya, no exaggeration on the "$50 a week"

Lol

She buys ticket packs for both weekly 649 draws and the Lotto Max.

I didn't factor in her scratch tickets. lol.

quick_scar
04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Can anyone that knows me personally vouch for "Disoblige"?

I would be in on the $50 pool.

sputnik
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I admit I buy the occasional ticket. Why? Because I like to daydream that my ticket is the big winner. I know intellectually that it's not going to win, but the entertainment value I get from planning all the stuff I'd do

:werd:

I play the lottery with some guys at work when we meet up for breakfast every Friday morning before work.

We each bring a ticket, sign each others tickets and wax hypothetical about how this is our last day at work. For us it isn't much different than a cover charge at a bar, a lottery ticket is basically the cover charge to sit at the breakfast table with us.

Sugarphreak
04-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Artega
04-12-2013, 01:25 PM
To get back to the original question, I believe picking between 9 number block vs 84 quick pick are similar in the sense you are still picking a string of numbers that have the same chance to win the jackpot. But there are more prize money to be had if you had indeed picked the correct numbers and all the numbers around it.

Let’s say you picked 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 for simple argument sake. Your 6 numbers combination will be 123456, 123457, 123458, 123459 etc. The winning combination is 134567. You would have won the lottery’s jackpot. But you have also won the secondary prizes because you also bought a number of tickets with 5 of 6 winning numbers ie 123456, 234567, 124567, 123567 etc…
So in that sense. If you truly believe you have picked 9 numbers that could potentially win, it would pay out more.

But I think if you working it out mathematically, your chance of winning and expected reward will still be the same because if you had purchase 84 quick picks you would have chosen a larger set of numbers. Whereas in the above scenario, you would have zero chance of winning, if the winning number was 10, 11, 12 ,13, 14, 15.

Disoblige
04-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar
Can anyone that knows me personally vouch for "Disoblige"?

I would be in on the $50 pool.
Haha, what I meant to say was YOUR trust since I would be the one with your $50 :)

quick_scar
04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Haha, what I meant to say was YOUR trust since I would be the one with your $50 :)

And if someone that knows me can vouch that you are a stand up honest person, I would trust you with $50. Its no different then a group buy really. You are trusting someone with your money, in order to get something back at the end.

Disoblige
04-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Yep I completely understand that.
Link to pool is here:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/368723/lotto-649-pool-for-sat-april-13-50-in-cap-at-25-people/

I'm not here to scam anyone by the way. I love Beyond too much to even think about messing around.

Kloubek
04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
+1. Disoblige is legit.

(Or, at least, has been long enough to see what we do to people on here who fuck other members!) :)

EK69
04-12-2013, 06:26 PM
The question is can he be trusted with the $55 mill that we will win tmr? :rofl:

I dunno anyone on these forums and have entrusted him :nut: lol

Disoblige
04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Pfft. Prepare to get Banerjee'd.

Mibz
04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
I know (roughly) where he lives :P

2BLUE
04-12-2013, 07:08 PM
There should be a beyond lottery pool for lotto max or 649. I think the best way would be 1 year subscription so your not chasing people down every week for the cash.

max_boost
04-12-2013, 07:11 PM
TomcoPDR is organizing one right now. We got about 7 guys in.

We are also doing CCR for those interested .:rofl:

Disoblige
04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
lol knowing Tomco and some of his casino pics of slots, and what you guys do with CCR, I'm glad I don't hang with you guys. I would be way too tempted with you guys around.

Disoblige
04-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread so picked one to bump.

With Covid and many of us twiddling our thumbs at home, it gives me more time now! It has been years since I've managed a Beyond pool but I am interested to do it again within our community.

If it rolls over and is at 70 mill with at least 30 maxmillions, I will consider starting a pool. Something like $100 entry for 50 people, or $100 entry for 100 people. 3k worth of lines for $5k, 6k worth of lines for $10k! Will post all details in Ask Leo as usual if we move forward on logistics/communication.

So. Any interest? :)

370Z
04-04-2020, 11:38 AM
What happened to Mario? Did he finally win?

Mario38
04-08-2020, 11:29 AM
What happened to Mario? Did he finally win?

I am still here and have a Lotto Max pool for the April 10 draw.

$20 per share. If you want to win at least a $1 million share of the jackpot, then I suggest buying 3 shares.

Good luck.

Disoblige
04-12-2023, 05:33 AM
Beyond Lotto Pool Time??? For today's Lotto 6/49.

I was thinking 50 spots, $50. I'll organize, like years ago. With scanned photos and good email communication.

Would like to hear interest though haha.

max_boost
04-12-2023, 06:47 AM
I’m in if Buster is in lol

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 07:09 AM
So that 62 million is for the gold ball or the regular jackpot? Because the gold ball is sneaky bad odds even when there are fewer balls left.

bjstare
04-12-2023, 08:12 AM
So that 62 million is for the gold ball or the regular jackpot? Because the gold ball is sneaky bad odds even when there are fewer balls left.

If you think only one special scenario in lotto is sneaky bad odds, I have bad news for you.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 08:16 AM
Well, the bad odds on the normal jackpot are relatively simple even if they are bad.

There's a big difference between bad odds and odds that are much worse than those obviously bad odds.

killramos
04-12-2023, 08:17 AM
lol

msommers
04-12-2023, 08:24 AM
I like those odds! Gonna get me a ticket

Tik-Tok
04-12-2023, 08:25 AM
I had to look up this Gold Ball shite. I've never heard of it before, so it looks like they changed the 649 rules awhile back? Seems a ridiculously convoluted way to draw people in.

I'll just keep putting my $2/week into the office pool.

Disoblige
04-12-2023, 08:32 AM
But isn't it better since there is way less white balls now?
So the odds to draw a gold ball is a lot higher now.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 08:49 AM
The expected value of that gold ball basically doesn't change. They'll sell more tickets when there are fewer white balls which lowers your odds.

suntan
04-12-2023, 09:03 AM
The expected value of that gold ball basically doesn't change. They'll sell more tickets when there are fewer white balls which lowers your odds.

Sounds racist.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 09:12 AM
Against the Dutch.

Disoblige
04-12-2023, 09:17 AM
But you really really wanna win though so you have a better chance, no?

arcticcat522
04-12-2023, 06:35 PM
Mario is in.....

killramos
04-12-2023, 06:40 PM
shak is in

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 06:46 PM
I even like and partake in group lotery plays. I just think this gold ball thing is a turn for the worse.

killramos
04-12-2023, 06:54 PM
I even like and partake in group lotery plays. I just think this gold ball thing is a turn for the worse.

Is it still Voluntary taxation?

Because that’s something I can really get behind.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 06:57 PM
same as speeding enforcement yup. Easy policy to support.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2023, 08:33 PM
If anyone is wondering, Mario38 never did resolve that $4555 he won in October 2020. I want my $29 bucks babe.

Disoblige
04-12-2023, 08:39 PM
This is why you don't join those scam pools and do beyond ones :D

killramos
04-12-2023, 08:51 PM
It’s funny to gerrymander what is a scam and what’s not when it comes to things like the lottery

Buster
04-12-2023, 09:02 PM
I love the lottery. It's a wealth transfer going the right direction.