PDA

View Full Version : Taking a shot... Wife needs Part time work...

tirebob
04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey all!

So my wife drives a special needs kid from Airdrie to SW Calgary (Kilarney area) for school and back to Airdrie every day, Monday to Friday. She drops him off at around 9:00am and has to be back at the school before 3:00pm to pick him up. Rather than driving all the way back to Airdire after dropping him off in the morning and returning later in the day, she is thinking about trying to find a part time job she can fill the in between time with, say 10:00am until 2:00pm or so.

I know it is a long shot, but I figured I would ask here if anyone knows of anything that might fit the bill for her. She is a smart lady and works well at anything she does and is super easy to get along with, but she has been a stay at home mom for the past 16 years and is just looking to fill time between helping this special needs kid so she doesn't have massive expectations...

If anyone knows of anything, I would appreciate the heads up!

Thanks!

Bob

A790
04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
What are her salary expectations?

tirebob
04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
No expectations really... It would be relative to what ones does I imagine, but really it is more about making money during the down time between dropping off and picking up the kid she drives.

Graham_A_M
04-15-2013, 02:05 PM
She might want to be a delivery driver between those times. Most places would be open to those kinds of hours. She'd make okay money delivering Pizza's out delivery for a restaurant or something.

The BMW Guy
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
What does she want to be doing during that time?
Cooking? Serving? Driving? Selling? etc.

sillysod
04-15-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that a business owner isn't going to have his wife driving around delivering pizzas. :D

Like "The BMW Guy" said what does she want to be doing?

What are her skills? Reception type work? Office environment or is she really into plumbing or running a pallet jack?

Marsh
04-15-2013, 02:40 PM
If she's going to be in Airdrie, I am sure she could find work at a restaurant. Lunch rush is always busy, lots of places need people from 11-2ish to help for the lunch rush. Sit down restaurants, as well as fast food joints

sillysod
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
If she's going to be in Airdrie, I am sure she could find work at a restaurant. Lunch rush is always busy, lots of places need people from 11-2ish to help for the lunch rush. Sit down restaurants, as well as fast food joints

reading failure

Marsh
04-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

reading failure

EDIT: Facepalm to myself:facepalm:

I might have misread, but advice is still valid. Lots of restaurants need people from 11-2ish for lunch rush, in Calgary.

Tik-Tok
04-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Marsh

How so? There was no mention of restaurants or fast food, only a suggestion for pizza delivery. OP hasn't specified if thats an option or not.

Because she ISN'T going to be in Airdrie. They live there, she drops their kid off in Calgary, she doesn't want to drive all the way back there, then down to Calgary to pick him up again.

tirebob
04-15-2013, 03:58 PM
We were married 17 years ago when she was 19 and just over a year out of high school. She is (was) an American so she couldn't work until her paperwork came through, and during that time (as in right away!) she got pregnant so in the end, she never ended up going to work and has been a stay at home mom ever since.

She has helped out at a friends salon with reception for a few months and she has been driving special needs kids around, but other than that, she runs a household. She really isn't formally trained in any specific job but is as smart as hell and picks up stuff quickly.

She isn't looking for a life changing career or anything like that. Just trying to get out there and make a bit of money between driving the kids around...

tirebob
04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Because she ISN'T going to be in Airdrie. They live there, she drops their kid off in Calgary, she doesn't want to drive all the way back there, then down to Calgary to pick him up again.

^^^THIS^^^

Thanks for clearing that up for me while I was busy! lol

Graham_A_M
04-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I'm pretty sure that a business owner isn't going to have his wife driving around delivering pizzas. :D

Perhaps, but its the easiest job out there that pays $20/hr or so after tips. :dunno: Along with quite accommodating hours. :dunno:

nutella
04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
A long time ago, when I was in university, I worked at a nursing home as a receptionist between the hours of 10am-2pm and later on 12pm-4pm as my courses changed. I was there to provide coverage over lunch as well as reduce some of the workload from the main receptionist/office manager. I don't have any contacts there anymore but pm if you want the name of the nursing home.

dirtsniffer
04-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd check out the u of c careers page. They definitely have part time work starting next month. Might not be permanent but the pay should be decent.

tirebob
04-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Perhaps, but its the easiest job out there that pays $20/hr or so after tips. :dunno: Along with quite accommodating hours. :dunno: Hey... I agree man! If she likes delivering pizza, I have no issues with it! lol! It is totally up to her. I would never presume to tell my wife what she can or can't do, as long as it ain't whoring! lol!

Cos
04-15-2013, 05:29 PM

TravisF79
04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Who orders pizza between 10 and 2 on a weekday? Lol

you would be surprised....a lot of people do.

While I've been trying to find something more reliable I deliver pizza's between 11-4 and my busiest time is 12-1:30 ish

Squishy
04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
A school bus driver.

Rat Fink
04-16-2013, 05:34 PM

tirebob
04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Does your business have a courtesy car/shuttle driver? No... We work on 1 car at a time so our appointments are quite dedicated and people are in and out quick so the almost always just wait...

Besides, I LOVE my wife... So much that I think working together would not be a good idea. lol! Being her husband would put a stain on being her boss... Haha!

A790
04-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Being her husband would put a strain on her being the boss... Haha!

FTFY ;)

tirebob
04-16-2013, 05:57 PM
I would also like to say that a couple of stand up Beyond members have already PM'd me with offers of possible employment within their work places and she is making plans to meet and discuss the options to see if it the timing and jobs suit both parties involved. It is very much appreciated and I just want to thank the community here! Always awesome...

tirebob
04-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by A790

FTFY ;) Shhhhhhhh.... She might hear you! lol!