PDA

View Full Version : Blackout Blinds - anyone know a good installer?

Mitsu3000gt
04-15-2013, 02:30 PM
I want to put blackout blinds in my home theater room - the window looks pretty much exactly like this:

Roughly a 6ft tall by 2ft" wide rectangle with a half-circle on top:

http://wtbyt.com/images/window_arch.jpg

Does anyone here do blinds, or can anyone recommend a good blinds person? I think it's time to get rid of the black construction paper I have duct-taped in behind the Venetian blinds haha.

Also I understand you can't get to the VERY edges with blackout blinds - is there a solution for that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Look for a George N. Jackson retailer, great quality stuff and typically better pricing than Hunter Douglas.

If you can't get to the very edge, given the shape, you could likely do a vinyl decal application around the 1.5" or so border that would not be noticeable from the street but would effectively eliminate the rest of the light transfer.

Mitsu3000gt
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
^^ Thanks, and that's a great idea about the vinyl.

e31
04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I redid my window trim with neodymium magnets countersunk into the back. I then bought some really heavy fabric and had a magnetic strip sewn into the edges. Top it off with some decorative curtains and voila, prepare to stub your toe in the darkness.

Sugarphreak
04-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Mitsu3000gt
04-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Check on Blinds.ca, that is where I got mine from... was the most expensive blind I purchased though

Which blackouts did you go with? Looks like there is a sale on blackout blinds right now.

Sugarphreak
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Mitsu3000gt
04-15-2013, 03:49 PM
I found these too....they have a side track to COMPLETELY block light:

http://www.selectblindscanada.ca/honeycomb-shades/1-2-single-cell-designer-plus-slumber-shade-blackout.html

I had no idea something like that was even available. I doubt it would work for the half-circle top piece but it would be good for the rest of it.

R!zz0
04-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I have the same window as you and I purchased mine from Home Depot. Total price was $1300 and it was a pita. Kept giving me different excuses, took forever to get and had one guy call me and said that I don't have a perfect arch so it'll be more money. Look around and you'll find a better price else where. Sorry, I went with blackout blinds too for my projector room.

Edit: the blinds kick ass though and no matter how sunny it is, it's pure dark when the blinds are down.

suntan
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I found these too....they have a side track to COMPLETELY block light:

http://www.selectblindscanada.ca/honeycomb-shades/1-2-single-cell-designer-plus-slumber-shade-blackout.html

I had no idea something like that was even available. I doubt it would work for the half-circle top piece but it would be good for the rest of it. Not a bad idea. However, virtually all windows are not perfectly square so you'll still get a little bit of light leakage, usually from the top and/or bottom.

JfuckinC
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Did you find anything? A lady friend of mine does blinds, PM me if you want her contact info!

Rarasaurus
04-23-2013, 11:11 AM
You can also get roller blinds with side channels. A blackout roller would be cheaper than blackout honeycombs. You could template the arch and mount matching material up there. As mentioned it will never be completely blackout.

wtf im nameless
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Lutron makes motorized ones that have side channels. You won't have any light at all coming through with those. Plus you can do fun stuff like have them come down automatically if your projector is on while it's sunny out.

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/d251327f0e905ab0_4-7469/contemporary-roller-blinds.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
04-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Haven't found anything yet - PM sent JfuckinC

wtfimnameless - those look amazing but I suspect are more than I am looking to spend haha. I was hoping to get out of this for a few hundred or less.

wtf im nameless
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Haven't found anything yet - PM sent JfuckinC

wtfimnameless - those look amazing but I suspect are more than I am looking to spend haha. I was hoping to get out of this for a few hundred or less.

lol, they're usually around $2,500 per window for single rollers, or $5-6k for double rollers.

Rarasaurus
04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Lutron is expensive and cheaper options are available such as somfy for motors. You would still be looking at about 1000 a window though. Without motor but due to the arch you would probably be looking at around 1000 to have someone build and install something custom.

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Anyone else have a blinds contact?

I've contacted several now, and nobody will get back to me. Nobody will take my money lol - this is very strange. I can't even get anyone to pick up a phone, return a phone message, or reply to an email and it's been over a week for some.

wtf im nameless
04-25-2013, 10:15 AM

I've contacted several now, and nobody will get back to me. Nobody will take my money lol - this is very strange. I can't even get anyone to pick up a phone, return a phone message, or reply to an email and it's been over a week for some.

I will :)

Once you go Lutron you never go back.

JfuckinC
04-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Sorry man, i thought she would be back in town sooner.

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

I will :)

Once you go Lutron you never go back.

Haha I have no doubt you would get the job done. I leave the window blacked out 100% of the time, so I wouldn't even have a need for power blinds if I wanted $2500 blinds, unfortunately. I just want a reasonably priced, 100% blackout solution, but apparently it's very difficult to get a blinds shop to talk to you.

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Sorry man, i thought she would be back in town sooner.

I only emailed your friend on the 23rd, she isn't the problem. I contacted several others 1-2 weeks ago that won't answer the phone or reply to messages.

FishPoo
04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a friend who has a company that does blinds, did all the blinds in my apartment pretty easy to work with.

PM me if you want his contact info.

98brg2d
04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
If you want full coverage with no intent of opening the blind why not go with a vinyl white out or black out? I installed lots of tint and vinyl on the curved transom windows with the same type of blind you currently have. If you want some light during the day go with tint, if you want no light ever, go black out. This was years ago but I doubt I ever did a circular transom that cost more than $200.

I bet one of Beyond's sponsors would give you a good quote.

rinny
04-26-2013, 06:32 PM
WWW.YOURBLINDS.COM

Best site ever. Cheeeeeap deals on blinds/shutters/shades etc, but they only ship to America. Find a broker and pay the bit of duty that you may have to.

I priced out cellular shades here and they would have been ~800 dollars from Sears. I bought some custom cut cellular shades in custom colour for ~230 with all duties/taxes/fees paid.

Levolor and Bali. This website is the way to go!

Mitsu3000gt
05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
So I finally got a quote for blinds.

My Window is I think 34X60, plus the arch above just like in the picture.

I got quoted $1338! Can someone with experience tell me if that is insanely high or not? To me that seems ridiculous.

This was the quote description:

"Supply and install one Hunter Douglas

Duette honeycomb shade with LiteRise

cordless lift and lower, and side trim

kit, and one Duette Easyview Arch with

Arch trim. Fabric for both is blackout

3/4" Classic D7-457 opaque fabric,

colour Journal"

My problem with the online places is that I can't get side channeling to block the light, and most of them do not do arches.

Meefirst234
01-28-2014, 02:18 AM
I had the same problem as you do with my arch window when I moved in my new house. I didn't know what to do about the blinds, because, as you say, most blinds retailers don't do blinds for arches. Descriptions of blinds companies say that they make made to measure products, but I don't really know what to say about that...made to measure in what way? I just couldn't trust this type of commercial anymore: Available in four different slat widths (25mm, 35mm, 50mm and 63mm) this natural product provides a warm and contemporary look to any room. Like its sister product the Venetian, a made to measure wooden blind is also extremely versatile and allows excellent light control as well as complete privacy. We have a wood colour to match any furniture and also now available in the ultra modern and funky gloss black and white. Direct Blinds also now offer the new and innovative privacy range exclusively to you, not readily available online.
But what I would recommend are blackout blinds that stick to the window. They're great! You can cut them in whatever shape you want and they block the unnecessary light! Hope this helps with your arch window!

http://www.eichlernetwork.com/content/bamboo-window-treatments-woven-wood-blinds#comment-7089

Crazyjoker77
01-28-2014, 08:32 AM
So I finally got a quote for blinds.

My Window is I think 34X60, plus the arch above just like in the picture.

I got quoted $1338! Can someone with experience tell me if that is insanely high or not? To me that seems ridiculous.

This was the quote description:

"Supply and install one Hunter Douglas

Duette honeycomb shade with LiteRise

cordless lift and lower, and side trim

kit, and one Duette Easyview Arch with

Arch trim. Fabric for both is blackout

3/4" Classic D7-457 opaque fabric,

colour Journal"

My problem with the online places is that I can't get side channeling to block the light, and most of them do not do arches.

My parents just had their blinds done including 6 windows with the same dimensions as yours without the arch and they payed about 850$ per blind not installed and that was just your basic up down no frills blinds through sears.(and there cheap I imagine my mother shopped around for a year before deciding)

I really don't see you getting what you want for under a grand per window.

If you want to keep it around a couple hundred bucks tint is your best bet

Supa Dexta
02-01-2014, 01:40 AM
The ultimate answer

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hQBS3Cmn1fU/T-msoZdkepI/AAAAAAAAD_E/b8M37cyFS8c/s1600/house.JPG