PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN: 2002 Black GMC Yukon XL Denali and rented U-Haul trailer

mr2mike
04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Saw this and felt Beyond could possibly help him out.

Looks to be a black, 2002 Yukon XL Denali
w/ black Yakima roof rack

6’x12’ U-Haul trailer

Stolen from Market Mall parking lot.
My guess is BC plates.

If someone knows him, maybe they can get a plate # and more details.

Similar to this:
http://images.dealerrevs.com/pictures/62569537.jpg

One shopping trip later, and Adam Terpstra now owns socks, underwear, a change of clothes and some basics toiletries.

And that’s it. That’s everything.

The rest of Terpstra’s life is somewhere in Calgary — or it was on Thursday afternoon.

That’s when the former Calgarian pulled into his old stomping grounds, planning for a relaxing lunch at Market Mall with a good friend, before heading east to Ontario.

In the GMC Yukon and rented U-Haul trailer was everything Terpstra owns — his entire life on wheels.

And those wheels were gone when lunch was over.

“I was having lunch with a friend at Market Mall and when I walked out three hours later everything was gone,” said Terpstra.

“My first thoughts were this is funny, great joke, now where is it?”

Faced with an empty spot where the 2002 Yukon XL Denali and U-Haul were just three hours earlier, the former Calgarian went through the same stages any vehicle theft victim faces.

Was it towed? Did someone move it as a prank? Did I walk out the wrong door?

With a sinking, sickening feeling, Terpstra realized everything he owned had been taken by thieves.

“My friend was still with me, and after I called the cops and talked to security I just hugged her and bawled,” said Terpstra.

The vehicles were packed with a lifetime on the move, from the contents of his one bedroom Victoria apartment, to irreplaceable keepsakes like wedding and engagement rings and his deceased grandma’s cookbooks, silverware and oil lamp.

“There’s just stuff I can’t ever replace. The Yukon was jam packed with everything and the trailer was jam packed with everything I have,” said Terpstra.

“I had taken off my rings and watch and left them inside, so that’s three expensive pieces of jewellery that meant a lot to me.”

A recent university graduate, the future teacher was headed back to Ontario to spend some time with his parents, before moving north for a summer job bartending in Dawson City, Yukon.

Hence, he’d packed everything for the road trip, expecting to start life over back east.

“They basically left with a one bedroom apartment — furniture and everything, ready to go,” said Terpstra.

Now, he’s reduced to shopping for the basic necessities, hoping police back in Calgary get a break finding the stolen SUV and 6’x12’ trailer.

Officers took Terpstra’s statement after he discovered the theft at 6 p.m. Thursday and they immediately checked to make sure it hadn’t somehow been towed — a huge undertaking given the length and type of vehicle.

No such luck.

Terpstra doesn’t hold out a lot of hope his stuff will be found, and police in Calgary didn’t try to cheer him up.

“The officer was understanding and kind, but there wasn’t much they could say,” he said.

“I appreciate they didn’t give me false hope, or make promises, because to get my hopes up, then it doesn’t happen, would be even worse — it would be heartbreak.”

Market Mall security was also sympathetic, but Terpstra was told the camera system overlooking the parking lot is being updated — and the area where he parked was not monitored.

Instead of sitting back and sulking, Terpstra is using social media to get the word out to his friends in Calgary, asking them to be on the lookout for a black, 2002 Yukon XL Denali with a black Yakima roof rack and 6’x12’ U-Haul trailer.

After reporting the crime to police, Terpstra continued his journey east, buying a plane ticket for home — luckily, his wallet and phone were with him when the brazen crooks took everything else he owns.

“I literally have the clothes on my back, my ID and a phone,” said Terpstra.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/04/14/mans-worldly-possessions-stolen-from-calgary-parking-lot?google_editors_picks=true

EK69
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Ballsy thieves since I think market mall has a cop shop built in?
I wonder where he parked that wasnt being monitored by the cameras
Inside job? :dunno: