PDA

View Full Version : Which Hawaiian island for a family vacation?

Super_Geo
04-17-2013, 08:15 AM
I've never been to Hawaii before, thinking about taking a family trip with my parents (late 50s) and my little brother (early 20s).

Which island would you guys recommend? Flights to Honolulu are the cheapest, but some of my coworkers are recommending Maui over.

Also, what are some 'must do' things in Hawaii? Thanks guys!

Tik-Tok
04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Maui is pretty awesome, lots to do for everyone. I've never been to the other islands though. A co-worker likes Oahu, but he's a big-city kind of guy.

Maui
- Snorkeling (Local and boat to Molokini)
- Snuba diving
- Paddle Boarding
- Surfing
- Hiking
- Volcano at sunrise
- Volcano at sunset
- Biking down the Volcano
- Golfing
- Aquarium
- Whale watching
- Eco-tourism
- Dolphin chasing
- Fine dining
- Road to Hana (Not Hana itself, the road has tons of spots to pull over and hike and sight-see)
- Tons of "smoke" if you're into that ;)

Negative points though, not much night life, but honestly, we're usually passed out by 11pm anyways because we always got up at 6am to get the best snorkeling every morning.

Akumaz
04-17-2013, 08:43 AM
maui is more nature oriented, small town feel
so if you are looking for a relaxing time, and site seeing, i think maui is better
you can circle the entire island with in a day (road to Hana)

honolulu is a big city, with great beaches, lots of shopping
i personally liked honolulu more
but to each their own

benyl
04-17-2013, 08:45 AM
If you want night life, Oahu.

If you want peace and quiet, Maui.

Maui will be about twice the price of Oahu depending on when you go. Food is more expensive and I dare say isn't as good as Oahu. Hotels are more, care rentals are tripple the cost ($35 / day vs $12 / day for a full size).

I would still go back to Maui over Oahu. We've been to Oahu 5 times and Maui once.

Honolulu feels like L.A in the middle of the ocean. I mean there is an actually interstate freeway. Maui barely has 4 lane roads (2 lanes going each way).

One strange thing I found is that Maui is very WHITE. Person at the airport we were dealing with for luggage was white. Car rental person was white. Person at the cash resgister at Walgreens was white. Valet at the hotel was white. The first native hawaiian we saw was the lady who checked us in.

No one in Maui says Aloha or Mahalo. In Oahu, everyone says it.

The beaches on Maui are better (at least where I stayed). Wakiki is full of rocks that will cut your feet if you aren't careful. Also, Waikiki was a swamp and the sand was imported from California. That sand in Maui is totally different.

The better beaches in Oahu are on the north shore.

Tik-Tok
04-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by benyl

One strange thing I found is that Maui is very WHITE

That's because 90% of the population at any given time are Canadians :rofl:

anarchy
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Like everyone has said, Maui is best for families.

It's super quiet, chill, lots to do that's family oriented and more relaxing than the other islands.

Mitsu3000gt
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
I've been to every island in Hawaii, some 2-3 times, and Kauai is by far my favorite. I'm surprised people are saying Maui is the most quiet/relaxed as Kauai is way less of a tourist trap, and it's much cheaper than Maui. Maui is quite a bit more expensive just because it's Maui.

It kind of depends what activities you like to do as well. For hiking and beaches it's tough to beat Kauai (It's the oldest island with the most sand).

Everyone I know who likes to go from hotel --> beach --> hotel and call it a holiday goes to Maui or Oahu. That's not my type of holiday.

My vote is for Kauai. My least favorite was Oahu, mostly due to the crowds and developments. Like benyl said it feels like LA (still super nice though).

msommers
04-17-2013, 09:54 AM
It doesn't look like anyone here has been to Kauai lol.

I went to all the islands (except Molokai) for just over a 3-week period so I have a good idea how they compare. Oahu can be super chill and relaxing if you're not staying in Honolulu/Waikiki. The north and east are a completely different feel. And it depends entirely on what you have in mind to see and do.

Scroll to the bottom and continue on the next page.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/pondering-hawaii/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347419&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=4

*Too slow, beat by Mits

Inzane
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I've been to the four big islands and Kauai is my favorite.

It is great for chilling on a beach AND your various activities: zip-lining, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking and general site-seeing. Kauai is a beautiful island.

(You just might think WTF is up with all the chickens running around though... :rofl: )

Sugarphreak
04-17-2013, 10:16 AM

89coupe
04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
I've been to Oahu and Maui, and I prefer Oahu.

Oahu has way nicer beaches if you are willing to drive 30min to get there, that is assuming you are staying in Waikiki.

There are plenty of condo rentals located right beside some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, located on the East coast of Oahu.

If you are a surfer the North shore also has some beautiful beaches along with some of the best surfing in the world. Also with condo rentals right beside the beaches.

If you are really lazy, and don't like to travel far from your hotel, Maui might better fit your beach time. They have long stretches of beach with very calm water, good for kids who can't swim yet or adults who are afraid of the water.

As for accommodations, Maui has more to offer in terms of nice hotels from what I have researched, but at a cost obviously.

Both islands offer there own unique tourist attractions, equal in taking your breath away.

As for restaurants and night life, Oahu trumps Maui in a big way. If you are staying in Waikiki, you are within walking distance of 100's of great eating places and night life.

Maui is just the opposite, once the sun sets, it's pitch black out, and getting from hotel to restaurant or nightlife destination will require a vehicle, unless you stay at your hotel.

Honestly I found the cost between the two Islands the same other then accommodations which were more. Restaurant bills, excursions, and car rentals were the same for me.

The Hawaiin culture is definitely more prevalent in Oahu, you definitely get a feel of the Hawaiin culture, something you won't get in Maui.

I think for a first time visit, Oahu is a better choice.

powerslave
04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Kauai was beautiful, easy-going atmosphere and lots of family friendly activities available.

taemo
04-17-2013, 09:33 PM
it all depends on what type of vacation you are looking on doing.

personally Oahu is my favourite as it has everything (beaches, activities, hiking, waikiki, good food, lots of sight-seeing, history)

haven't been to the big island, but between Kauai and Maui, I prefer Kauai as it's more laid back but Maui comes close 2nd.
Both offers a peaceful, quiet vacation, tons to see and explore.