PDA

View Full Version : Used car at dealership on consignment, how much does the dealer take?

88CRX
04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
How much would a dealership take if they were to sell a car on consignment? I couldn't imagine them taking <10% for their time/hassle.

And how is the deal written? Can the owner of the car pull it out of the dealership whenever they want and then try to sell privately?

Kloubek
04-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Why not ask a dealership? I'm sure they all have different profit margins they need to achieve.

88CRX
04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Why not ask a dealership? I'm sure they all have different profit margins they need to achieve.

I'm not looking to sell a car through consignment at a dealer.... looking to buy so I'm not really in a position to ask or for them to be truthful.

JRSC00LUDE
04-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I'm not looking to sell a car through consignment at a dealer.... looking to buy so I'm not really in a position to ask or for them to be truthful.

Could call and play the other side, tell them you have a car to sell and are interested in consignment. See what their range is? May not be perfect method but should give you a reasonable idea?

you&me
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
There are two ways most dealers do this - either as a percentage (typically 7-10%) or with a pre-determined "net" amount to the seller.

Most smart dealers will be willing to work with the buyer and seller to get a deal done and won't torpedo a sure thing over a couple points of commission.

As a buyer, I don't see any reason for you to be concerned with the arrangement between the dealer and consignor :dunno:

msommers
04-17-2013, 10:18 AM
If it's a good price, who cares. If it's a bad price, don't buy it. If you're concerned or curious about how much wiggle room you have, just provide an offer and work out a price.

88CRX
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by you&amp;me
There are two ways most dealers do this - either as a percentage (typically 7-10%) or with a pre-determined &quot;net&quot; amount to the seller.

Thanks, good to know.

slinkie
04-17-2013, 02:56 PM
As much as humanly possible