PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Downtown Parking

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi all,

Just a quick question, where do you guys park? Last summer, I was parking in the street parking, but those aren't "motorcycle" spots until May. I'm looking for daily parking downtown, close to Bankers Hall.

I would have ridden in today, if I could've found somewhere to park. Google doesn't bring up much. I thought there was some spots in the surface lot on 2nd st and 6th ave, but couldn't find anything on Vinci's site (is it still owned by Vinci?)

So if that's the case, where do you guys park/have suggestions to park (All the threads I've found are 2009/2010 and outdated)

codetrap
04-18-2013, 08:13 PM
James Short. $120/month. Guaranteed spot, and I can leave the bike there overnight if I need to. I got tired of trying to find surface parking for a reasonable price. The Impark lot by Telus used to be $5/day, but they raised it to $12.50 last summer. If you go Monthly there, it's $100. Motorcycle parking for a reasonable price on a day basis has gotten as rare as a Jackalope.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
James Short. $120/month. Guaranteed spot, and I can leave the bike there overnight if I need to. I got tired of trying to find surface parking for a reasonable price. The Impark lot by Telus used to be $5/day, but they raised it to $12.50 last summer. If you go Monthly there, it's $100. Motorcycle parking for a reasonable price on a day basis has gotten as rare as a Jackalope.

That's a long walk to Bankers hall in full gear. I'm looking for day to day right now rather than monthly.

GQBalla
04-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Solution, don't wear gear

Go4Long
04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
The impark lot at 6th ave and 2nd st I think had a decent day rate last time I used it. I use the street parking across from Bankers now.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
The impark lot at 6th ave and 2nd st I think had a decent day rate last time I used it. I use the street parking across from Bankers now.

Yeah, it's a vinci lot now, and it's monthly parking only =(

I use that as well, but like I said, not a "motorcycle" spot until May 1st, which is less than a week away now, but I want to ride to work tomorrow =( haha.

codetrap
04-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Look on CPA's website. I just searched for "motorcycle". There was multiple hits.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Look on CPA's website. I just searched for "motorcycle". There was multiple hits.

http://www.calgaryparking.com/web/guest/motorcycle

On street parking is not in effect until May 1st. Lots are monthly only (I emailed them)

CPA General Inquiries <[email protected]>
11:11 AM (1 hour ago)

Hello Jory

The only motorcycle parking we have is for monthly parking. You will need to wait for the City to install the zone signage before daily parking is available.

Thank you,

Jeff Pirinen

Calgary Parking Authority | 620 - 9th Ave. S.W. | Calgary AB T2P 1L5
T: 403-537-7000 | F: 403-537-7001

SpoonDC2R
04-24-2013, 02:26 PM
I wish they would allow us to park on Stephens ave. I would ride to work everyday lol

codetrap
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
$126/22 working days is less than $6/day..

gamman
04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
as a car person (who used to ride and race bikes), I don't understand why the city doesn't totally encourage them.

They can fit 2-5 per automobile stall if organized right (extra revenue and savings for you guys), and
it doesn't increase traffic,
and they typically get great gas mileage too (especially for the speed).

As a building owner rep, I would always try to maximize the summer motorbike stalls, extra revenue and a bonus to the bike guys (ample places to park). The trick is, that you can't fit typically more than 2 bikes in a regular stall, so you need to come up with a large enough area (a critical mass) where you can repaint the lines/whatever to make it worthwhile for everyone.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-24-2013, 11:08 PM
$126/22 working days is less than $6/day..

Not sure I want to ride every day yet, which is why I'm looking for daily parking.

whiskas
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Wasn't there a rule that once allowed you to park on the sidewalk as long as it wasn't directly in the way of pedestrian traffic? (like between two trees)

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
That would be awesome. So I finally found the bike parking in the Vinci centennial lot off of9th ave and 7th st. It's a bit of a hike to work, but you just ride around the gate arms, park the bike, and then go to the bike payment station (they only seem to have one), pay for a ticket, and display it on your bike. So that's my work around until the street parking is back across from bankers hall.