PDA

View Full Version : C63 owners: lights and other question

clem24
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
What exactly is the point of the headlight switch on the C63 (MY2011 in case you're wondering)??

So here's my findings:

- My taillights are ALWAYS on regardless of what position the headlight switch is at, so what's the point of the parking light setting when the car is running?

- When it's bright out, I find I can turn on the fogs and it automatically turns off the headlights IF I have the switch to "A". Yay maybe they did something good but it's still pointless because I want to able to have ONLY the fogs on and the headlights off when it's dark and huge flakes of snow are tumbling down, but when it's dark, the headlights come on automatically.

- When it's dark out, in a parkade or not even sometimes overcast and the headlights turn on, the switch does NOTHING because the car turns on the headlights automatically and even switching the position to just parking lights has no effect whatsoever. So when I board a ferry and they say turn off your lights, I'll have to tell them too fucking bad.

- The switch only actually does something (like the only L or R side parking lights which I have found no practical use) when the car is switched off.

- The dash dimmer is independent of the headlights and has it's own sensor so it's uncontrollable. But the good news is programming is good enough that it's always reduced the brightness when I want it to. So no complaints here.

Now my next question: how the fuck do you fully turn off the car without having to open and close the driver's side door?!? Let's say car is off. I open the passenger door, hit the start/stop button, it goes into position 1, radio comes on. There's NO WAY to cut the electronics unless I open and close the drivers side door. Hitting the start/stop button again just cycles between position 1 and position 2, never off.

benyl
04-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Head light switch does nothing. Pisses me off in the winter because the headlight washers are only supposed to go off when the headlights are "on" which is all the fucking time.

I think the programming for Canadian MB cars is fucked.

As for #2. Take out the button and use the key. haha. I know on BMWs, you could hold the start/stop button longer and it would shut everything down. Haven't tried it on the benz. What pisses me off about the switch with the door is that if you have you phone connected via BT and you open the door without switching the audio source, it hangs up the call.

My F150 and the BMW would just switch to the phone and not hang up the call.

Again, programming on Canadian MB cars is fucked.

clem24
04-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Head light switch does nothing. Pisses me off in the winter because the headlight washers are only supposed to go off when the headlights are "on" which is all the fucking time.

Oh yeah that reminds me.. Who decided that you have to press the window wash button TEN TIMES to activate the headlight washers... Is it really that expensive to just add a button??

The BT is annoying too in that it only works if the radio is switched on.. Switch it off and you get no BT, so I've learned to never press the ON button, just mute it.

rage2
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
If you want to turn on highbeams while driving, you have to turn the switch to the on position. When the lights are in the off position you can only do the temporary highbeam flick. The rest of the positions, I have no idea wtf they do, other than that weird left light right light both lights on when the car is off.

I never have my calls hang up on me when I leave the car and it shuts off. It just takes 5-10 seconds for it to transition back to iPhone as an audio source. If you're getting hangups, the person on the other side of the call is impatient lol.

The lights programming is fucked because of DRL in Canada. When in off, its programmed to just turns lights on. It's convienent, and I don't mind it, cuz I never touch that dial except when I need highbeams on the highways at night. It sucks when I'm in other cars, and I forget to turn on the lights and just drive with DRLs.

On my black series (well, all of the 2012 BS Canadian cars), they forgot to put in the Canadian DRL coding, so my lights work like they're intended in the US. No lights during the day, and when it detects darkness, automatically turns on the lights. My tails are off during the day. With the car off, it still does the silly right/left/both lights thing.

G
04-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Also pisses me off the switch isn't back lit. Yeah 10 to 1 is retarded it should be about 5 to 1 ratio if they want to cheap out on a 50 cent button.

rage2
04-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm glad these are the top complaints for the C63 haha. Rest of the car is great!

benyl
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
My headlight washers go off the first time I push the button after the car is started and then every 10th time after that.

Do your cars only go off after the 10th time?

I hate headlight washers. They use so much fluid. Yes, I am a cheap half asian.

rage2
04-18-2013, 02:54 PM
If I remember right, I think if you have the high beams on, it'll wash everytime.

TBH I didn't even know we had headlight washers until last year lol.

Oh, and all this isn't specific to the C Class either. All MB's are like that. Our B, CLS and C all function exactly the same.

benyl
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Is the headlight switch usesless on those models too?

rage2
04-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Yup. Just pulled up my manual, and ya, even the manual says 1,2 and 3 are useless lol.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/mblights_zpse5f72e7e.jpg

I'm guessing in Europe, there's a reason to use "standing lamps" on one particular side?

So basically, 4 is "auto" mode, where it's supposed to detect between day and night, but with CDN programming it's always night.

5 is the fog mode so that it forces the lights to turn on in the day in the fog, which is useless because 4 does that in Canada. You need to be in 5 for highbeams to work tho.

G
04-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Not sure if anyone else notices it but my car has an intermittant hum after being driven hard. Sounds like a little motor spinning for a few seconds then shuts off....it does this for hours.

rage2
04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by G
Not sure if anyone else notices it but my car has an intermittant hum after being driven hard. Sounds like a little motor spinning for a few seconds then shuts off....it does this for hours.
That's the aux fan for the tranny cooler.

G
04-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Thanks!

Found this on SLKWorld (http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/10588-what-purpose-standing-lamps.html)

Well, here in Germany, they're used at night so cars passing by can see where your car begins and the available road to drive on ends. That being said, you want to light up which ever side of the vehicle is hanging out in the street.

Makes sense but wouldn't that drain the battery?

theken
04-18-2013, 03:15 PM
what I heard about those park light things is if your sticking out a little bit you can turn your one light on so people can see your sticking out a bit in a dark place, apparently can be left on for 24 hours without killing your battery.

clem24
04-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Oh, and all this isn't specific to the C Class either. All MB's are like that. Our B, CLS and C all function exactly the same.

Hahaha at least you have a family of cars that operate the same.. Everytime I drive my wife's Honda, I end up flashing people when I want to wash the windshield...

So basically, 4 is "auto" mode, where it's supposed to detect between day and night, but with CDN programming it's always night.

Well, no.. At night, that little green "lights on" indicator comes on on the dash, and during the day, it's off! :D

Is this the same fan that spins up for 5 seconds on a cold start? Always wondered what that is..

Originally posted by theken
what I heard about those park light things is if your sticking out a little bit you can turn your one light on so people can see your sticking out a bit in a dark place, apparently can be left on for 24 hours without killing your battery.

I guess on a narrow European street that would make sense.. So I have to pay for that useless functionality when what I really want is a headlight washer button..

JAYMEZ
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Hahah so funny I thought I was crazy thinking about these problems.

shakalaka
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
I also hate the DRL thing. It's great they are HID's but I really don't want them on 24/7. There's probably a way to disconnect them so they don't stay on all the time but just a pain in the ass. Probably kills the life of the bulbs too.

JAYMEZ
04-18-2013, 04:04 PM
I hate how one fog light turns on when I turn and the other one turns when I turn that way... Looks weird

benyl
04-18-2013, 04:13 PM
BMWs do that too. They don't use a fog light, but they have a turning light.

Remember the old lux cars from the 80s, they had turning lights too.

Look at the light ahead of the front wheel on this bad boy. Same idea.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/5399696130/in/pool-the-vinyl-roof%7Cthat_chrysler_guy

JAYMEZ
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Lol geeze that thing is a tank! ^^ hahah.

Everyone always asks me if my lights are broken . :banghead:

clem24
04-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I also hate the DRL thing. It's great they are HID's but I really don't want them on 24/7. There's probably a way to disconnect them so they don't stay on all the time but just a pain in the ass. Probably kills the life of the bulbs too.

Most normal cars have a relay... Say on my old '05 Legacy, it was simply disconnecting that relay and presto - no DRLs and everything like headlights still work perfectly.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I hate how one fog light turns on when I turn and the other one turns when I turn that way... Looks weird

Well I must say when it's 100% PITCH DARK, they are quite useful. But in the city, pointless. Oh and it comes on when you signal too so when you're sitting at a light, it looks like you have burnt out fog light hahaha. It's also funny that they turn on in the opposite direction when you back up.

T-Dubbs
04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm glad these are the top complaints for the C63 haha. Rest of the car is great!
Other than needing to replace the rear tires after only 6500kms....

rage2
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
Other than needing to replace the rear tires after only 6500kms....
There's a fix for that. Set rear toe to be neutral.

86max
04-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Don't HID bulbs/ballasts wear out a lot quicker when they're turned on/off constantly? I always think about that when the lights automatically come on whenever entering a garage.

Also, does anyone know if it'd be possible to get the dealership to disable this feature?

benyl
04-18-2013, 05:29 PM

I don't think that fixes the heavy foot problem.

shakalaka
04-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 86max
Don't HID bulbs/ballasts wear out a lot quicker when they're turned on/off constantly? I always think about that when the lights automatically come on whenever entering a garage.

Also, does anyone know if it'd be possible to get the dealership to disable this feature?

On these cars since it's the DRL, I doubt any dealership would disable them since Canadian regulations require them.

Perhaps a local, privately owned car shop would if they know what to do.

rage2
04-18-2013, 11:18 PM
It's impossible to turn it off. It's software controlled, not relay controlled.

With that being said, I've never heard of HID issues from DRLs, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

clem24
04-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 86max

The headlights in our cars don't constantly turn on or off - they stay on! The only time they will turn off is 2 minutes after the parking brake is engaged OR you manually turn on your fogs when the green headlight indicator is not on.

It's impossible to turn it off. It's software controlled, not relay controlled.

With that being said, I've never heard of HID issues from DRLs, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Shouldn't be too much $$$ to replace.. I think our cars use D1S, and aftermarket bulbs are pretty cheap. One thing I find is that aftermarket bulbs are just as good as OEM; it's usually the ballasts that crap out, so on the bulb front, I'd say we're pretty good. I'd be more worried about the ballast if anything.

AaronK
04-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I never have my calls hang up on me when I leave the car and it shuts off. It just takes 5-10 seconds for it to transition back to iPhone as an audio source. If you're getting hangups, the person on the other side of the call is impatient lol.

With my iPhone 5 it disconnects the call the moment I open my door. I have to make sure to switch it to iPhone audio source before I open my door. Might be a pre-facelift bug.

funkedelic2
04-22-2013, 09:13 PM
I just leave my lights on A mode and although the hid headlights are always on, when it gets dark it will turn on your cluster lights and tail lights automatically if you are in that setting. Your tail lights shouldn't be on all the time.

I hate that the switch itself is not lit and you can't see what mode you are switching to if its dark, also when you are in A, your fog lights turn on when you are turning so people always think my fog lights are faulty. Lol

A lot better to just have DRL LEDs and not have your hid's on all day

clem24
04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I just leave my lights on A mode and although the hid headlights are always on, when it gets dark it will turn on your cluster lights and tail lights automatically if you are in that setting. Your tail lights shouldn't be on all the time.

What I really hate about that switch is.. It's basically in A mode ALL THE TIME, no matter what position it is in. So when it's dark, there is absolutely NO WAY to turn off any of the lights; the car simply won't let you.

benyl
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
My switch has an off position. It does nothing.

rage2
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Why do you want to turn off the lights in the dark? haha

US cars are like that too so it's a worldwide thing. There was a guy on mbworld asking how to turn it off because he was trying to outrun some kids or something.

T-Dubbs
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM

I think its more the LSD and the power..

benyl
04-24-2013, 09:36 AM
My 335 ate tires at a pretty similar rate. I think I got an extra 1000 km out of the rears.

It's mostly about the power and the right foot.

tuffcalc
08-15-2013, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

I hate that the switch itself is not lit and you can't see what mode you are switching to if its dark, also when you are in A, your fog lights turn on when you are turning so people always think my fog lights are faulty. Lol

A lot better to just have DRL LEDs and not have your hid's on all day

Do you also have a 2011 C63? I have the same issue as clem24. Having the lowbeams on as DRL is fine ... but my tail lights, marker lights, license plate lights are also always on as DRL's. This is contrary to every other benz I have had in my life and contrary to pretty much every W204 I see on the road.

Is this coding specific only to the 2011 C63? Who needs tails, markers and license plate lights on during the day?

shakalaka
08-15-2013, 07:20 AM
On my c63 while the headlights are always on as DRL's my side marker lights don't come on until its too dark outside. And when that happens, the green light icon on the dash also comes on. I am not sure about the tail lights but I would assume it would be the same as the side markers. I always just leave the knob in A mode.

tuffcalc
08-15-2013, 08:03 AM
On my c63 while the headlights are always on as DRL's my side marker lights don't come on until its too dark outside. And when that happens, the green light icon on the dash also comes on. I am not sure about the tail lights but I would assume it would be the same as the side markers. I always just leave the knob in A mode.

What year is your C63? Sounds like 2011 is the only year where ALL lights are on as DRLs.

rage2
08-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I remember my 2010 having all the lights on all the time as DRLs too, but I could be wrong. There are a bunch of 2010's on here so I'm sure they can clarify.

benyl
08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
only the HID is on when the engine is running.

The tails and sidemarkers only come on at dusk or inside a parking garage.

tuffcalc
08-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Lots of conflicting information here... some with all the lights on, some with only the lowbeams.

G
08-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Why not go to a local Honda dealership and find out first hand?

shakalaka
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
lol

Mine is a 2011 but a later 2011. I heard 2010's and earlier 2011's were similar.

clem24
08-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl
only the HID is on when the engine is running.

The tails and sidemarkers only come on at dusk or inside a parking garage.

At dusk or in a parking garage, the little green headlight marker comes on on the dash and my dash dims. THAT'S IT. So fucking pointless hahaha. Yup everything stays on all the time.. I confirm it when I drive downtown and look at the car's reflection in buildings.

Ya so sounds like certain late '10 and early '11 models have the lights always on feature. Either that or something's actually busted in the car and we just don't know it.. :D

sh0ko
08-15-2013, 02:11 PM
im going to have to check my car now to see if the hid's and tails are always on. i have a face lift but not a 63 but dont think that makes a diff

tuffcalc
08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by clem24

At dusk or in a parking garage, the little green headlight marker comes on on the dash and my dash dims. THAT'S IT. So fucking pointless hahaha. Yup everything stays on all the time.. I confirm it when I drive downtown and look at the car's reflection in buildings.

Ya so sounds like certain late '10 and early '11 models have the lights always on feature. Either that or something's actually busted in the car and we just don't know it.. :D

We're in the same boat (and I also find it annoying).

The delivery date (on the Data Card) of my car is January 2011, so it fits in y our "late 2010 - early 2011" pattern. Can I ask how you were able to figure out that this is solely a late 2010 early 2011 problem?

Cheers

rage2
08-15-2013, 04:18 PM
We have a few late 2009 delivered MY2010 cars here, so I'm sure when they chime in they can confirm if the tail/signal/license plate lights stay on or not during the day.

shakalaka
08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by tuffcalc

We're in the same boat (and I also find it annoying).

The delivery date (on the Data Card) of my car is January 2011, so it fits in y our "late 2010 - early 2011" pattern. Can I ask how you were able to figure out that this is solely a late 2010 early 2011 problem?

Cheers

I thought that was the case as I have a late (November) 2011 C63 and I don't have the side marker always on problem. But that being said my old 2009 C350 was the exact same way, so I don't know.

They only come on in my car when it's dark outside and little green light lights up on the dash at the same time. During the day the sidemarkers are off.

theken
08-15-2013, 04:43 PM
I will check on this later in the day, I am pretty sure tails are off until the "lights" come on, but headlights are always on, full light

Cody D
08-16-2013, 09:11 PM
How many of you have the remote start through the factory FOB? Did you get it installed through Mobile Solutions? Anybody go with studded tires in winter? Anybody put a sub in? I was told that it will not be easy.

I'll search these things tonight but personal opinions are nice as well.

rage2
08-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Mobile solutions does the install. I used it everyday, so I could stand behind the car and listen to it start up.

shakalaka
08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Does anyone have a radar detector/laser jammer installed? Any idea how much those things go for with installation?

theken
08-17-2013, 01:55 AM
So I can turn My headlights off and run just fogs. Still have eyebrows on but headlights are off this was at around 10 last night, Tails were off in the day also.

shakalaka
08-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Okay I dunno how you were able to do that cause my headlights are my drl's as well and I've never been able to turn them off. Unless the car is stopped and in park.

clem24
08-19-2013, 09:01 AM
So I can turn My headlights off and run just fogs. Still have eyebrows on but headlights are off this was at around 10 last night, Tails were off in the day also.

Okay I dunno how you were able to do that cause my headlights are my drl's as well and I've never been able to turn them off. Unless the car is stopped and in park.

That is the proper behaviour.. If the little green symbol is off and you turn on your fogs, the main headlights do shut off. But by 10, my lights automatically come on - no ways around it. So much for trying to be sneaky and following/stalking people.

shakalaka
08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Hmm I will have to try that then. I had no idea.

theken
08-24-2013, 12:10 AM
If you pull your knob out to get your "rear fog" as well the headlights will remain off at night

clem24
08-26-2013, 09:44 AM
If you pull your knob out to get your "rear fog" as well the headlights will remain off at night

Huh? What knob? Our rear fog is controlled by a button. And again, it doesn't matter. On our cars with the "always on lights", once it gets dark, there's absolutely NO WAY to turn off the lights once the car is started.

benyl
08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
2010 fogs go on by pulling out the selector knob. We have no buttons.