PDA

View Full Version : 1914 house - recommendation for home inspector?

RX_EVOLV
04-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought a 1914 character home and need to do a home inspection early next week. Any recommendations?

tom_9109
04-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Shouldn't you have had it inspected before you bought it??

ercchry
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
wow... have you never seen holmes on homes?! who the eff buys THEN inspects? :nut:

RX_EVOLV
04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Sorry bought as in conditionally purchased of course.

First time home buyer so I don't know the proper terminologies.

JAYMEZ
04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
You mean you are about to buy one? Have you got a mortgage on it? Usually the mortgage firm is responsible for getting someone out there to appraise it and see whats wrong.. If not you can just search for someone with a CMI (Certified Master Inspector) , I dont know anyone personally , but shouldnt be to hard to find.

ercchry
04-19-2013, 01:10 PM
in calgary? if so pm jordan. his guys are good. used them twice now and have not found any issues i wasnt made aware of (i cant remember the name). takes a full day to go through a house.

i've also never had a mortgage company give a shit enough to appraise or inspect... its the insurance company that will want to see the inspection

Seth1968
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
There's a good chance it won't have any insulation.

barmanjay
04-19-2013, 04:27 PM
http://accuhomeinspections.com/

Worth the money! Every penny!

I bought a character home,.. Pm me and I can go over just about everything a character home will have. So there won't be any surprises.

Especially as you are a first time buyer.

I love our character home, and am constantly doing renovations.

I can tell you what to expect, even on renovated character homes.

Graham_A_M
04-19-2013, 04:38 PM
^ Yeah just PLEASE make sure you have it VERY comprehensively inspected.

My bro bought a house that was already inspected (he paid for himself), but he missed out on countless, countless serious flaws. A lack of insulation in the roof for one, badly botched wiring throughout. i
Its just a fucking nightmare. Apparently (or shall I say obviously) the home inspector didn't do a very thorough job.

But.... thats......what you're paying them for... :nut: :dunno:

ercchry
04-19-2013, 04:53 PM
my attic is super low on insulation... but thats pretty common for a 100 year old home. inspector of course saw that, told us.

wiring is a difficult thing though since back then it would have been knob and tube. which chances are was replaced. but during what period and how many times? aluminum or copper? unfinished basement is good though. can see all the different vintages of wires. all of my plugs but one were grounded too... so i call that a win :rofl:

carson blocks
04-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
http://accuhomeinspections.com/

Worth the money! Every penny!

Agreed. He was very thorough and didn't mind me tagging along behind him asking a ton of questions. I learned a lot about my house as he talked me through the inspection. Spring for the thermal imaging too.

CanmoreOrLess
04-19-2013, 10:04 PM
OP You ought to ask for a list of all the trades you'll be needing. My family has a house of that vintage, having the right tradesman is really important. I love older homes, crooked floors, blown fuses and all. Takes a couple of years to get it all sorted.

JRSC00LUDE
04-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
You mean you are about to buy one? Have you got a mortgage on it? Usually the mortgage firm is responsible for getting someone out there to appraise it and see whats wrong..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bank appraisers do NOT do an actual inspection. They verify market value and, usually on the high side (at least from my experience), so the bank can give you money. I've only had a couple mortgages in my day but I've never seen an appraisal come anywhere close to an inspection.

Weapon_R
04-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Appraisers do not inspect. You need a home inspector. Anyone with some time and a couple thousand dollars can become an inspector so make sure you find the right company.

Amysicle
04-20-2013, 10:14 AM
http://my.amerispec.ca/calgarysouth/about-us-contact-info

Jordan Lotoski recommended Tate to us and these guys were great. Answered a lot of our questions during the home inspection and explained what he was looking for and why it matters. Had thermal imaging and had a nice specIalized report with pictures of some oF the issues found.