PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job with poor GPA

astoria
04-19-2013, 02:55 PM
edit: Thanks everyone!

tbomb
04-19-2013, 03:00 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LrBFaV9o3Zc/TefWBiba76I/AAAAAAAAAkc/nkegaCzp3rA/s1600/Sloth-1.jpg

kvg
04-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Excuses won't help you now, but maybe after you get a job and prove your better worker than you were in school it won't matter. Should have worked harder:dunno:

FraserB
04-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Take it in, don't try to hide anything.

When they ask why they are the way they are, be honest about why and explain what has changed since. if the lower grades are in the earlier years of school it would work a bit better in your favor.

lilmira
04-19-2013, 04:57 PM
So you had one interview and now they want to see you again, you must have done something right. Was there any mentioning of your performance in school in the interview?

You can't hide them now so go with it. Be prepared to explain why you got those poor grades.

turbotrip
04-19-2013, 05:24 PM
you have stand out enough as a person to overshadow those grades. generally an employer wont care about your grades, but unfortunately im guessing you are a newgrad so grades are given more imporance. if you can show them that you were working while going to school or had other imporant commitments which took up your time then you can justify lower grades, while also showing that you can balance multiple tasks which is something they all look for.

that being said, my grades were much lower than yours and I did okay so all hope is not lost.

DeleriousZ
04-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Really?? Employers actually look at grades?

dj_patm
04-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Whats your degree?

If it's something technical then I'm not surprised. If you don't have a reason other than "I slacked off" or "those classes were hard" than it's time to use your salesmanship. You have to convince them that your bad grades don't matter. Shouldn't be too hard. Blame it on taking too much onto your plate at once or something like that and then spin that as "one of your weaknesses" that you've been working on.

You just need to convince them to look past those grades once and than you can pretty much forget about them forever so don't give up or panic. Just spin it like you've never spun before.

Super_Geo
04-19-2013, 06:04 PM
What kind of a job? How big is the company?

revelations
04-19-2013, 06:18 PM
OP that is a stupid question without some background.

Giving a raw GPA without any knowledge of the courses, program, what the student averages were etc. is almost meaningless.

I was in school (GPS/land surveying) and I ended up with a 65% I think (final) or 3.5. However the median class average was 63% so that says a lot already. I also had a 10 course semester (yes, 10 finals in 5 days) and the rest were 8-9 course semesters ....add all that up and a GPA of 2.8 isnt all that bad.

Even so, i ended up getting a job ahead of the 4.0 guys (even before graduation), not because of my grades , but because of my work ethic and people skills.

rob the knob
04-19-2013, 06:39 PM
make your own transcript. quite simple to do. many top professionals state degrees they do not have. therefore to change grade to where you should achieve.

maybe only B+ is smart to .

rob the knob
04-19-2013, 06:54 PM
or maybe you got degree and experience over sea.

many i know in extended did that.

CivicTunr
04-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by revelations
OP that is a stupid question without some background.

Giving a raw GPA without any knowledge of the courses, program, what the student averages were etc. is almost meaningless.

I was in school (GPS/land surveying) and I ended up with a 65% I think (final) or 3.5. However the median class average was 63% so that says a lot already. I also had a 10 course semester (yes, 10 finals in 5 days) and the rest were 8-9 course semesters ....add all that up and a GPA of 2.8 isnt all that bad.

Even so, i ended up getting a job ahead of the 4.0 guys (even before graduation), not because of my grades , but because of my work ethic and people skills.

65% does not equal a 3.5 GPA. a 3.7 is a A- which is 85%. 65% would be around a B- which should be a 2.7. as a 3.0 is a B.

Also i know in engineering, the magic number seems to be a 3.0. So you arn't far off?

themack89
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

65% does not equal a 3.5 GPA. a 3.7 is a A- which is 85%. 65% would be around a B- which should be a 2.7. as a 3.0 is a B.

Also i know in engineering, the magic number seems to be a 3.0. So you arn't far off?

lol... GPA's aren't percentages. They are arbitrarily made scales depending on your particular course and how your prof marks it.

Don't sweat about your GPA. Laugh about it. I just got hired at a pipeline company as a market/strategic analyst, new grad.... I had to explain to them why I got an F in astronomy and D's in so many courses.

Grades don't matter for the working world.

dirtsniffer
04-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Haha ya. That's why my GPA was highlighted on my résumé that my potential supervisor had in front of him. But there was also a quiz at the the end of the interview. This is only applicable to new grads obviously but if they want transcripts there can't be much experience on there.

As others have said OP you need to display some redeeming qualities.
2.8 is not too bad btw. I wouldn't bring it up if I were you hub I would have some explanation ready. I would personally say you don't fare well in test situations sometimes and that your final grade doesn't reflect your knowledge and work ethic.

thrasher22
04-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Depends on your industry, I've never once had an employer ask about my GPA or ask to see a transcript...

Just don't bring it up unless they ask :dunno: