PDA

View Full Version : ACAD Student Kills Chicken in Cafeteria

dubhead
04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
For an assignment to film a public protest a student at ACAD killed and prepped a chicken for consumption in the cafeteria at the school. I think it it brings up a good point in the complete disconnect most people have with where their food comes from.

What do you guys think?

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/639351/acad-student-cuts-head-off-live-chicken-in-cafeteria/

kvg
04-20-2013, 12:07 PM
MMM Chicken:thumbsup:

“We certainly don’t condone the killing of a live animal — absolutely not,”

Can you kill a dead one:confused:

revelations
04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Killing chickens is cruel??? OMG shut down KFC !!!

Seriously though, it all depends on the context. If the student simply laid down a garbage bag on the floor and a bucket to drain the blood.... that would be in poor taste. Esp. at lunch time if people are eating.

However, if he had the proper tools and setup to do it right and picked a time away from lunch.... who cares.

lilmira
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
It's not like he was choking his chicken in the cafeteria.

Cos
04-20-2013, 12:22 PM

mucat
04-20-2013, 12:22 PM
First world problem.

dubhead
04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I dont know, from the sounds of it he just set up and started to do it. It wasnt like a planned event people chose to attend. Chickens arent exactly sanitary either. I wouldn't want that happening around my lunch.

I have no issue with killing animals for food. This just seems like a waste and a cry for attention. Killing and mutilating animals (not hunting, which this wasn't) is one of the indicators of a psychopath. If I was campus security this guy would now be being watched 24/7.

He didn't mutilate the chicken he butchered it for consumption and was planning on eating it. If he just killed a chicken just for the shock value than I would agree with you.

dubhead
04-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I would be pissed if I was at school and some guy started to slaughter an animal while I am eating with no notice.

I probably wouldn't be happy either but I'm pretty sure making people happy is'n't what he was going for. Sometimes the best way to make a point is to go way over the top with it.

Cos
04-20-2013, 12:35 PM

spikerS
04-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Cos

The assignment was to perform and film a public protest. I don't remember reading that said you had to CAUSE a public protest. Even if he was planning on not wasting the food (which is better I will admit), he was doing it for shock value first, food second. I highly doubt he slaughters his own chickens regularly.

There is a million offensive ways to do that assignment that dont cause health concerns. What if it was a dog or a kitten? Still OK if he planned to eat it?

Like I said, I have no issue with it. You want fresh chicken on your own go nuts. I just dont think it was appropriate for a school. That being said it is ACAD so if you go there I guess you cant be shocked by anything.

actually, in the Philippines, they slaughtered a lamb right in front of me and cooked it up, and I quite enjoyed the experience. Food that fresh tastes SO much different than anything you can get at the grocery store.

But I do understand that not everyone has the constitution for that, and wants to believe that meat is made in Safeway, and nor is the eating area in the cafeteria the proper place to be butchering a chicken.

Cos
04-20-2013, 12:44 PM

dubhead
04-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Cos

The assignment was to perform and film a public protest. I don't remember reading that said you had to CAUSE a public protest. Even if he was planning on not wasting the food (which is better I will admit), he was doing it for shock value first, food second. I highly doubt he slaughters his own chickens regularly.

There is a million offensive ways to do that assignment that dont cause health concerns. What if it was a dog or a kitten? Still OK if he planned to eat it?

Like I said, I have no issue with it. You want fresh chicken on your own go nuts. I just dont think it was appropriate for a school. That being said it is ACAD so if you go there I guess you cant be shocked by anything.

If the point of the assignment was to showcase culinary techniques or something similar I would agree. As mentioned above the assignment was not for that.

He could of protested his point with a display showing some picture of animals being slaughtered but no one would have even paid attention. I think it's the perfect place to get the point across as its a protest about where our food comes from. I'm sure he doesn't regularly butcher is chickens but from reddit it does sound like he knows what he was doing.

We don't regularly eat cats and dogs so I think he would have totally missed the point he was going for if he had killed one

Maybelater
04-20-2013, 12:58 PM
I've seen a few people butcher animals and it always makes me squirm alittle, but I don't see any reason to be angered by it, that is how it is done.

msommers
04-20-2013, 01:23 PM
I would take this any day over those asshat pro-lifers at UofC.

JAYMEZ
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Why would people cry over seeing a chicken killed? I eat 8 chicken breasts a day ... God people are such wimps these days.

D'z Nutz
04-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Hmm... I'd give him a B, maybe a B+. Student demonstrates understanding of course material but needs to put in more effort. Now if he'd performed an abortion in the cafeteria with plastic utensils, I'd give him an A.

Maxt
04-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Fowl play is suspected.

themack89
04-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I would take this any day over those asshat pro-lifers at UofC.

lol... In response to the pro-life exhibit, I want to see someone to set up a lemonade type stand selling abortion supplies, i.e. coat hangers bent in various ways.

JustGo
04-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Wrong place, wrong time.... that's about it. There was absolutely nothing else wrong with what he did.

Anyone that actually saw what he did and is making overly dramatic statements has clearly never seen it done on a farm, or even a hutterite colony. CTV interviewed a couple of drama llamas who made it sound way worse than it actually was.

Like I said, wrong place, wrong time.

msommers
04-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Hmm... I'd give him a B, maybe a B+. Student demonstrates understanding of course material but needs to put in more effort. Now if he'd performed an abortion in the cafeteria with plastic utensils, I'd give him an A.

Holy fuck :rofl: :rofl:

GTS4tw
04-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Haha, this is a funny story. Maybe the school should have a cooking class where students are shown proper slaughter and butchering techniques, you know, something they might actually use some day? We used to get the SPCA, and RCMP called every time we killed chickens in our yard in a residential area, pure comedy gold. Still get them called constantly regarding the care of animals, people have no idea...

I do agree that making a regular practice of slaughtering chickens in a cafeteria should be frowned upon. But the reaction was exactly the one he expected to get and says a LOT about modern society and how blind people are to reality.

Isaiah
04-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I chuckled.

Sugarphreak
04-20-2013, 04:42 PM

dubhead
04-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Wow, must be a great school to teach such valuable trade skills... so many promising jobs in the world of protesting; hat knitting, sign making, yelling, chaining yourself to things, attempting to make body kits and cnc machines, professional stinky man :rofl:

Hopefully they have a follow up assignment called "how to fill out an application for welfare"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cos
04-20-2013, 05:37 PM

RY213
04-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Props to him. He got all of you guys talking about this and made it into the paper. I'd say his protest was a success. A+

403Gemini
04-20-2013, 07:07 PM
"Art." lol...

syritis
04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater
I've seen a few people butcher animals and it always makes me squirm alittle, but I don't see any reason to be angered by it, that is how it is done.

I quite enjoy the idea of getting people out of their comfort zone with a little taste of reality but with no prior warning in a cafeteria. where many other people are enjoying their own chicken lunches is just bad taste. farmers market or BBQ maybe. but not in the middle of a college.

Even if it was a class project, the fact that this guy's first idea was to butcher a live animal in front of an audience for shock value is just fucked up. Get him some psychiatric help and a parole officer.

HiTempguy1
04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by syritis

I quite enjoy the idea of getting people out of their comfort zone with a little taste of reality but with no prior warning in a cafeteria. where many other people are enjoying their own chicken lunches is just bad taste.

And not f*&king hygienic in any sense of the meaning of the word. Pretty sure there are fines that could be laid with bullshit like that being pulled.

And it doesn't matter if you get your point across if all you do is piss people off about it, cementing them in their current opinion.

In my opinion, animals are animals, and we are at the top of the food chain. Die my tasty meat treats! :guns:

mucat
04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Preparing food in cafeteria, seems appropriate.

msommers
04-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
In my opinion, animals are animals, and we are at the top of the food chain.

cCGVo3QTygI

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/b/1/b1bca_ORIG-Simpsons_Food_Chain_by_SpacePlatypus.jpg

davidI
04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by spikers

actually, in the Philippines, they slaughtered a lamb right in front of me and cooked it up, and I quite enjoyed the experience. Food that fresh tastes SO much different than anything you can get at the grocery store.

Best chicken I ever had was in Camboida under much the same circumstances. They offered me the honour of slitting the chickens throat and bleeding it but I allowed the "experts" to do it. Pretty much all the discussion in this thread was going through my head at the time. The fact watching it unnerved me unnerved me in itself...I've been eating animals for so long and yet that was the first time I saw one slaughtered. I'm sure 60+ years ago people did this for themselves all the time in Canada.

I always find it funny in other countries how little kids will be running around holding chickens and pigs and smacking around cattle and goats.

We're definitely becoming a pussified nation.

mucat
04-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Sex edu in elementary school is alright.

Watching how to kill a chicken for food in college is a no no.

Cos
04-21-2013, 05:04 PM

dj_patm
04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Did he feed the chicken, some fried chicken?

sf-NRQvu1HY

DeleriousZ
04-21-2013, 09:24 PM
It's all about attention.

Kid wants attention so he puts this together.

Kids in caf want attention so they protest, call rcmp etc to get attention.

Damn acad kids, they're all crazy. (I'd know, I'm dating one lol)

mucat
04-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I didnt realize that they ambushed the children with some re-enactments on the front desks in front now. School has changed a lot since I went I guess.

Re-enactments or not, most of us from age 5 and up eat chickens every week, just because you pay someone to kill the chicken doesn't mean it is not happening or your chicken are growing from a tree. On the other hand, (IMO) sex edu at elementary school is too early, if you bring up your kids properly that is.

Cos
04-22-2013, 07:00 AM

GTS4tw
04-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Cos

No one is arguing that chickens get killed for our food. Not a single person is making that argument. We are arguing that a sanitary place to carry out a butchering of an animal is probably not a school cafeteria. Regardless of the cause.

People were having sex before we were born as kids too. It shouldnt mean in your grade 3 sex ed class some guy should be jizzing all over your desk.

I think you should visit a slaughterhouse. That cafeteria is probably a very sanitary place in comparison. There is really not enough info to make a good judgement, for all we know he did it in the kitchen part of the cafeteria. I think if there is an argument to be made, it is that he may have offended people who do not eat meat, and they should have the choice not to participate in slaughtering. If you eat meat though, then you should go out of your way to educate yourself on the differences between commercially slaughtered meat and home processing, you would find this to be preferable!

Cos
04-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Vagabond142
04-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I bet the same people that were "offended" at the chicken slaughter are the same ones that would happily go fishing in the summer, catch a nice big bass, bonk it's head, clean and prep it, then cook it over a campfire.

I don't see the difference. I eat fish, I eat chicken. Both die for me to eat them. (and for the record, yes, I have killed, cleaned, prepped, and eaten both fish and chicken before. Just not in a cafeteria :P)

Welcome, ACAD students, to the real world.

(just my two cents)

GTS4tw
04-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Cos
So how many of you arguing in here actually bothered to read the article or better yet watch the video? Starting to realize you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

You can easily see the pictures. He did it sitting on a cafeteria chair in the middle of the room. Not in a kitchen setting.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1244404!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg

I am not worried about contamination of the food, that is his problem, I am worried about the cafeteria, the other people in the cafeteria who are eating in there.

I have not been to a commercial slaughter house but I have been on a farm, at a hutterite colony, and been hunting. So I am not some pussy asian kid. Lol.

Again, I am not arguing killing the animal. Shit at least in a slaughter house they make you wear gloves. This guy at least had the courtesy to roll up his pant legs and remove his shoes. Lol.

Where did he go and wash his feet and hands? In the bathroom sink?

I clicked the link, but there was no picture or video when I did, or like most modern "news" sites I couldnt find it past the adverts.

Since you have been hunting, what if someone bird watching came along and saw you gutting a deer on the side of a hiking trail? Would that fit into this same category?

btw, of course im arguing just for the sake of it! Is there any other reason? :D

Cos
04-22-2013, 08:22 AM

dubhead
04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
btw, of course im arguing just for the sake of it! Is there any other reason? :D

Originally posted by Cos

Lol me too. As long as we are both clear.

Well really why else would anyone want to talk to complete strangers on the internet if it's not just to argue with them

Cos
04-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Tik-Tok
05-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Annnnd, the instructor got fired :facepalm:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/08/calgary-acad-chicken-teacher-fired.html

An instructor at the Alberta College of Art and Design has been fired after a student slaughtered a chicken in the school cafeteria last month.

The student then dropped the dead chicken into a pot, as if he was preparing to eat it. The act was billed as a performance piece for a school project.

Some of the students in the cafeteria were shocked by the performance and Calgary police were called. No charges were laid.

Gordon Ferguson, a sculpture instructor, says he was fired on Monday. He says he is taking some time to decide whether to speak publicly about it.

ACAD declined to comment, calling it an internal matter and stressing the institution adhered to their due process. It's unclear what happened to the student who killed the chicken.
Angry students take to Facebook

Some students from ACAD and others took to the college's Facebook site to vent their anger.

"ACAD's decision to dismiss Gord Ferguson is outrageous," said Meredith Angus. "Your college is nothing without your instructors."

Jon Peters, a former ACAD student, said he is appalled at the short-sightedness of the decision.

"Art, and its institutions, are expressions of critical thinking, and are the lifeblood of our civilization," he said.

"As an instructor, Gord embodied this type of thinking, challenging his students to explore their environment in an intellectual and critical way."

DeleriousZ
05-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Heard that from the gf last night. More bad press for ACAD is bad news, they're struggling HARD right now.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM

Tik-Tok
05-09-2013, 09:09 AM
But how could you fail a student for doing EXACTLY what you asked of him? The kid made a public protest, and it got headlining news. It's not the instructors fault it was done in an improper manner.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM

DeleriousZ
05-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Instructor was undermining the school by passing him, simple as that. But if you want to look at the actual criteria of the project it also supports a fail.

You don't spend much time around ACAD kids do you? The whole premise of the assignment was 'shock art'. Perform a shocking act or create something shocking. I guarantee you some of the assignments submitted were much worse than the actual 'gore' produced by the killing and processing of the chicken.

Basically, the kid did exactly what the assignment asked, and therefore there's no reason he shouldn't get a passing grade.

Good on the school, they need to protect their credibility for the sake of their other students.

acad is quickly losing credibilty. between their new head guy and their shift away from supporting commercial art programs, to the fine art side. I've talked to a few prof's that are still there thru my gf and all of them have said it's going to hell in a hand basket.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

DeleriousZ
05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Everything's art maaaaaaaaaaaannn

Sugarphreak
05-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Superdooper
05-13-2013, 01:13 AM
With all these school shootings/stabbings going on from various psychopaths, my first thought of some guy mutilating a chicken in a cafeteria would not be "woooow man artttt...let me stick around and see how he's gonna cook it...". More like, "I'm getting the F$&$ out of here and I'll throw a sharp object towards him so others can potentially escape from this chicken killing maniac...".

FraserB
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

You don't spend much time around ACAD kids do you?

The most time Sugarphreak spends with an ACAD student is when one pours his Starbucks or mows his lawn.

;)

DeleriousZ
05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

The most time Sugarphreak spends with an ACAD student is when one pours his Starbucks or mows his lawn.

;)

Woah woah, mowing lawns? That's a little ambitious isn't it?

Cos
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM

Sugarphreak
05-13-2013, 12:03 PM

codetrap
05-13-2013, 01:07 PM

I thought spikers lawn was covered with broken down cars ;)

I just cover the hole with sticks and leaves, probably 3 or 4 ACAD students down there now! Hey, if you dangle a starbucks card on a string over the "sticks and leaves"... wouldn't that get you charged with baiting?

suntan
05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Did he choke the chicken beforehand?

JRSC00LUDE
05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Hey, if you dangle a starbucks card on a string over the "sticks and leaves"... wouldn't that get you charged with baiting?

Not him, he's a mastur.

Sugarphreak
05-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Cos
05-13-2013, 04:28 PM

DeleriousZ
05-15-2013, 02:17 PM
http://www.ffwdweekly.com/calgary-blogs/culture/2013/05/15/acad-reinstates-ferguson-1276/

Instructor has been re-instated.