PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Service

max_boost
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Where my fellow 911 owners?

Alternatives to dealer servicing?

Inclined to go to dealer for obvious reasons, car has a history there and looks good when selling.

Quoted price is $2500-$2800 for the following based on the year of the car and not the mileage.

Yearly maintenance service
Replace oil
Replace air filters
Replace serpentine belt
Replace spark plugs
Check air bag

Thanks guise.

ExtraSlow
04-22-2013, 07:06 PM
new serpentine belt every year?

max_boost
04-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Not every year, I think it's 5 but too lazy to check manual. Will take their word for it.

If I sell to an enthusiast who knows the car, they probably won't care where I took it as long as the work was done properly. If I sell to a guy who wants one cause it's a Turbo (kinda like me lol) then dealer records would be better.

Just seeing if any other guys got the major service done and if it was significantly cheaper elsewhere then perhaps worth considering. Yes I can call various shops and ask but this would serve as future reference for when the younger Beyonders become ballers and have the same questions.

boarderfatty
04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
That doesn't sound too bad price wise. Are they doing coil packs aslong with the plugs? how about MAF? I know that the plugs are a bitch to do, you basically have to remove the mufflers to do them. 6 OEM plugs, 6 OEM coil packs and a book time of 4.9 hours is a lot, probably $1000-1200 just for that job alone.

I do all my own maint and now that I am familiar with the car it is pretty easy and can make my own invoices at my shop to continue the maint history. When I did plugs and coil packs it took about 1.5 to 2 hours but I run bypasses instead of mufflers so the job was real easy. If your mufflers have not been removed yet it can be time consuming because some bolts are in awkward locations and bumper cover removal is often required. you can put said bolts back in more convenient locations so future work is easy.

Mibz
04-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Haha, Cayenne needed rear brakes so I told them to do the scheduled maintenance at the same time.

Oil change - $300
Spark plugs - $600
Air filters - $200
Rear brake pads and rotors - $900

I told 'em to do the oil and brakes, I'll go elsewhere for the plugs and filters. Well, not so much go elsewhere as "They're 9 months and 12,000 km old, they don't need doing".

The only other place I've been recommended has been Mark @ Alpine.

962 kid
04-22-2013, 08:22 PM
^^ doing plugs on a turbo is a lot more time intensive than doing plugs on an m96. On the non turbos you can do it in an hour or so with stock mufflers in place, on the turbos you have to pull off the bumper and intercoolers.

Is there anything else being replaced as part of the yearly maintenance service, or is that just an inspection and quickie car wash

max_boost
04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
I really am not sure. I can look through the maintenance history papers and see if anything pops up. Not gonna lie, Porsche or not it seems like a lot of money. I know there's the whole dealer markup etc. Let me see what I can find and perhaps give Alpine a call. I do remember talking to Marc about 10 years ago and said, "well maybe one day I can come back when I get a Porsche" lol Back story was I went by to pick up rage2's old winter tires hahaha

rage2
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I sold you winters?

The price is fairly standard for the amount of work on those plugs. Blame Porsche design on making servicing a PITA. Blows me away that a clutch replacement on the CGT costs $25k because the whole drivetrain and rear frame gets removed. Even a battery change requires tons of bodywork and floor removal and takes 5 hours. You'd think someone thought about maintenance and accessibility when designing these cars.

flipstah
04-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I sold you winters?

The price is fairly standard for the amount of work on those plugs. Blame Porsche design on making servicing a PITA. Blows me away that a clutch replacement on the CGT costs $25k because the whole drivetrain and rear frame gets removed. Even a battery change requires tons of bodywork and floor removal and takes 5 hours. You'd think someone thought about maintenance and accessibility when designing these cars.

That's terrible... 5 hour battery replacement?! WTF?!

During the design process, they cared more about performance rather than compromising.

max_boost
04-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Service said it was 6 hours for spark plugs and to do everything could take up to 2days!

You didn't sell me winters raj, they were free for pick up haha

natty54
04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Its possible to change the plugs without taking off lots. I did it without taking off the bumper. Just takes longer.

Everything else on that car is pretty straight forward if you like working on your own car I have the manuals. Prices are better as well if you use o.e parts

rage2
04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
That's terrible... 5 hour battery replacement?! WTF?!

During the design process, they cared more about performance rather than compromising.
That's just a marketing excuse. These are road cars at the end of the day, not F1 cars chasing 0.01s of laptime because of an access panel.

Even Ferrari recognizes what a PITA maintenance is for it's customers and have been working hard on improving ease of maintenance over the last few generations of cars to the point that they offer free maintenence for 7 years now on new cars. McLaren, same deal, it doesn't take much more time, or cost much more to service compared to a BMW or Mercedes. 911's off warranty are scary beasts. CGT is a whole different world haha.

I was surprised when Mibz told me how much his service costs, so maybe they're working on changing things.

flipstah
04-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That's just a marketing excuse. These are road cars at the end of the day, not F1 cars chasing 0.01s of laptime because of an access panel.

Even Ferrari recognizes what a PITA maintenance is for it's customers and have been working hard on improving ease of maintenance over the last few generations of cars to the point that they offer free maintenence for 7 years now on new cars. McLaren, same deal, it doesn't take much more time, or cost much more to service compared to a BMW or Mercedes. 911's off warranty are scary beasts. CGT is a whole different world haha.

I was surprised when Mibz told me how much his service costs, so maybe they're working on changing things.

I'll cater a guess that the Boxster/Cayman isn't that easy to work with either. Mid-engine layouts FTL.

Maybe they know deep down inside, Porsche owners will pay to play so they do it regardless. :thumbsdow

pockett
04-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Don't sweat it, message me and I'll see what I can do. ;)

gamman
04-22-2013, 11:30 PM
calgary auto works has a porsche trained tech. A lot less /hr than a porsche dealer. Same guy at the end of the day, spark plugs and belt shouldn't be a problem, but if you are still under warranty, I don't know what I would do.

M.alex
04-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Save yourself a headache and just replace the engine with an American V8. Many birds killed with one stone that way :burnout:

Sorath
04-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by pockett
Don't sweat it, message me and I'll see what I can do. ;) :hitit: :hitit: :hitit: :hitit:

soloracer
04-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Save yourself a headache and just replace the engine with an American V8. Many birds killed with one stone that way :burnout:

Take a look at how long it takes to change the plugs on an LS motor and get back to us. There are a lot of threads on other forums about what a pain in the ass it is. Or maybe you have a Ford pickup that needs the cab removed to get to the engine. ;)

962 kid
04-23-2013, 09:46 AM
^^ lot of money to spend to get an engine that's worse in every important way anyways haha

Redlyne_jr
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Perhaps give Alpine a call

Give em a call baller, 287-9114.. Marc will take care of you:thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

Take a look at how long it takes to change the plugs on an LS motor and get back to us. There are a lot of threads on other forums about what a pain in the ass it is. Or maybe you have a Ford pickup that needs the cab removed to get to the engine. ;)

On a non F body platform, a spark plug change on an LS motor *should* be quite straight forward. It's only difficult on the F body due to the fact that half of the engine is behind the cowl for weight distribution and the nose of the car is massive.

Hallowed_point
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
^^ lot of money to spend to get an engine that's worse in every important way anyways haha

Do tell....:confused: The LS is light years ahead of the old time chev 350, light weight..awesome torque curve...small packaging relative to displacement, bullet proof (within reason) , any joe mechanic/shade tree can service it, imo better sound. Please tell us some of the downsides I'm honestly curious.

962 kid
04-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Being light years ahead of a Chev 350 is hardly a bragging point... Just so we're on the same page, you're asking what makes the 996/7 Tt engine better than the ls?

M.alex
04-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Being light years ahead of a Chev 350 is hardly a bragging point... Just so we're on the same page, you're asking what makes the 996/7 Tt engine better than the ls?

state all reasons it's better than an LS9 :p

m10-power
04-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Im an LSx bandwagoner but would not be stupid enough to swap out a 996/997TT engine.

The turbo flat 6 is an amazing engine, with huge power potential even stock. LSx are relatively cheap and great engines as well but to make them comperable would cost $$$.

I own cars with both, both are great but no comparison when pushed hard.

As for original question hard to beat the dealer if resale and records are important. I personally do my own work, but do buy most of my parts there, pricing is usually pretty good.

962 kid
04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
That's easy... You don't have to deal with grenade hybrids to put a 996tt engine in a 996tt lol.

I had some diatribe typed up, but this isn't the ls vs *insert engine here* thread. Basically, I've seen what it takes to make both engines (ls9 excluded) get up to a real 600hp and the 996 does it cheaper, more reliably, with mostly factory parts and it delivers that power in a more accessible manner. The differences between a true motorsports engine and a truck engine modified for sports car use may not show up on paper, but they sure do in real life.

IMO :p

Hallowed_point
04-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Basically, I've seen what it takes to make both engines (ls9 excluded) get up to a real 600hp and the 996 does it cheaper, more reliably, with mostly factory parts and it delivers that power in a more accessible manner. The differences between a true motorsports engine and a truck engine modified for sports car use may not show up on paper, but they sure do in real life.

IMO :p

Ok, I don't claim to be a euro expert..but the first thing that came in on a google search for a 996 engine is "996 engine failure." I find it very hard to believe that any naturally aspirated LS (never mind forced induction!) would have a harder time making a real 600 hp cheaper and more reliably. Heads, cam, full exhaust and your getting close. At least if we are talking at the crank you can get right around 500 without much investment naturally aspirated. Plus you don't have to take it to some techno geek to get it repaired if it breaks down.

natty54
04-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Ok, I don't claim to be a euro expert..but the first thing that came in on a google search for a 996 engine is "996 engine failure." I find it very hard to believe that any naturally aspirated LS (never mind forced induction!) would have a harder time making a real 600 hp cheaper and more reliably. Heads, cam, full exhaust and your getting close. At least if we are talking at the crank you can get right around 500 without much investment naturally aspirated. Plus you don't have to take it to some techno geek to get it repaired if it breaks down.

996 engine is different from the 996 turbo as is gt2/gt3

soloracer
04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Time to educate yourself with more than a quick Google search before speaking on something you admittedly don't know anything about. The 3.4 engine in the normally aspirated 996 is not the same engine design as the 3.6 engine in the 996 Turbo, GT2 or GT3. You can easily get over 500 HP on a 996 Turbo with stock turbos and a $2000 flash of the ECU. For 600 HP simple bolt ons (upgrade turbos, exhaust, injectors) and a flash will get you there. Over 700 hp can be done without opening up the engine. The flat six in these cars has been under developement for years and used successfully in Porsche's race cars and they have developed a reputation for being "bulletproof".

From Wikipedia:
The Turbo, GT2 and GT3 models use the Aluminum crankcase of the air-cooled 911 with its true dry sump oiling system. The six separate individual Nikasil lined cylinders in this engine are covered with two separately installed water jackets each covering a bank of 3 cylinders on each side of the engine, thus adding water cooling to a crankcase originally designed for air-cooled cylinders (the normal 996 Carrera engine has the cylinders and water jackets cast together with the crankcase). This engine is very similar to that of the Le Mans winning Dauer Porsche 962 and Porsche GT1 racing cars' engines.

rage2
04-24-2013, 09:07 AM
^ What they said. The 996 NA engines suffered from RMS failure.

There is a reason that most of us here always recommend going turbo when 911 shopping haha.

SkiBum5.0
04-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Is the service on the 997TT much different than the 996TT? I'm assuming because both are 3.6TT Mezger they are the same

Redlyne_jr
04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
Is the service on the 997TT much different than the 996TT? I'm assuming because both are 3.6TT Mezger they are the same

Not much different at all.. Water pumper is a water pumper..