PDA

View Full Version : San Diego

nj2Type-S
04-24-2013, 01:45 AM
hey guys,

my family and i are going to san diego at the end of may for 5 days. i wish i could've booked a longer stay, but scheduling constraints prevented that. i didn't realize that there are so many things to do there. i'm planning to get the 2-day pass: http://mobile.city-discovery.com/tour.php?id=4144

what are the "must dos" in san diego given my duration of stay?! we're not looking into going to the theme parks since my parents are coming with us.

we would also like to get some shopping done. which premium outlet is better? carlsbad or las americas? i searched online, but i could not find a shuttle bus that can take us to either location. can you guys point me in the right direction, or should we just rent a car for the day?

thanks!

SlickA70
04-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Sea World
San Diego Zoo
Gas Lamp Alley
San Ysidro Shopping Centre

That pretty much took care of my week there.

Mibz
04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Pay the extra and do the rhino/giraffe ride where you get to feed them. Shit was so cash.

Legoland is meant for kids but there's some fun stuff there too.

darthVWader
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Blue jays are in town on the 31st. And the Mariners are in town on the 29th and 30th.

Marilyn Manson is playing, Marianas Trench is in town. Suicidal Tendencies on the 12th

http://www.stubhub.com/search/doSearch?searchStr=San+Diego&searchMode=event&rows=50&start=0&nS=0&startDate=2013-05-12;05/12/2013+-+05/31/2013&endDate=2013-05-31&ae=1&sp=Date&sd=1&location=81689;San+Diego,+California

mo_money2supe
04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
From what I recall, the Las Americas Premium Outlet is slightly larger than the Carlsbad one. However, because Las Americas is right off the Mexican border, there's stereotypically more crime in the area, so keep that in mind.

I'd rent a car to get yourselves around. It's cheap down in the states for rentals anyway; it's probably going to be comparable in cost to a family (of 4+ I presume) taking transit/bussing around. Not to mention the time savings in the commute.

As for things to do down there, May isn't quite warm enough to play around in the water yet (the best time is actually closer to beginning of Fall), but if you wanna go surfing, full body suits will keep you warm enough even in the cooler temps. There's also bar hopping in downtown San Diego. There's plenty of bars with secret entrances to enter them (ie. door disguised as a couple of stacked kegs).

cet
04-24-2013, 12:35 PM
I was down there at the beginning of November for a couple of days before going on a cruise. We rented a car whilst we were there as things are pretty spread out. We did a day at Sea World, a Day at the zoo and drove up to the Carlsbad outlet. If I had more time there I would have liked to explore Balboa park a bit more and take a tour of the USS Nimitz.

TC2002
04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
If you want to hit the beach, go to La Jolla beach, which I found was more family-friendly than the Mission Bay area. Lots of good food right off the beach there too!

anarchy
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
I visited Sea World and the Zoo - both pretty fun and cool to check out.

topher91
04-24-2013, 06:13 PM
OOOOH

I love San Diego!

If you like Military/Navy stuff, do the aircraft carrier tour.

Mission Beach is a cool area with boardwalk and amusement park for the kids. Lots of shops and eating. Great place to watch the sunset.

Las Americas Premium outlet is just like the Premium outlet in Las Vegas if you have ever been there. I'd rent a car to get there, its about 30mins south. Just make sure you exit before you hit the border, otherwise your fukked lol

Get a food truck app and find those food trucks!!!! They didn't disappoint at all. Neither did any of the Diner Drive ins and Dives places.

What part of San Diego are you staying in?

BigShow
04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Great city! Gas Lamp district all the way,
Tons of cool places to eat, drink and party!!

gamman
04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
point loma university (and the areas around it) is a must see, the little library there was on playboy's top 10 places to do it, but you are with family, so unless you get out to wheel....

Sea world is like a mini disney. 78 admission, gets you a year pass? I wanted to go for 2-4 hours, so we went to the zoo, and took the bus. Saw cool animals, and didn't break a sweat. Saw the cheeta being walked around by a dog (and a ton of handlers).

all beaches are good,
miramar airport if you are a top gun geek,
la jolla horserace track (is that still open?),

nj2Type-S
04-25-2013, 02:43 PM
thanks for the response guys! we've never, ever been to san diego so i don't even know where what area we're in. haha! my father is a huge military buff so he asked me book a hotel near the midway. we're staying at the marriot marquis & marina....whatever area that's in.

we've been to seaworld in floriday so seaworld in san diego is not really in our radar. there will be 5 of us going so i think we'll end up renting a car for a day for when we go shopping.

i have read online about the exit to las americas being the last exit in america LOL. i wonder how hard it will be to go back in the states if i miss that exit.

taemo
04-25-2013, 03:23 PM
if you have a GPS, it's impossible to end up going to Tijuana and missing the stop to Las Americas and there's 2 exits in the highway that will take you to the mall.
tbh though my fiance and I didn't find anything impressive at that outlet, mainly because we are not big shoppers, but it's good for stocking up on work clothes, kakhis, jeans.

go view the sunset and surfers in Sunset Beach
chill out and watch the sunset in La Jolla
visit Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo
go to the San Diego Safari
Legoland I heard is good

tip on the Zoo/Safari, buy the year membership for 2-3 of you, you get discount coupons.

not my favourite Cali city, but IMO fairly laid back and relaxing unlike LA. Great mexican food too!

flipstah
04-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Las Americas is an awesome outlet mall to go to and SeaWorld was fun for us because it was our first time.

Didn't go to the Zoo, which was a big mistake.

Gotta visit the Mexican border or see it at least.

We planned to go to Tijuana but when I looked at our pink slip, it said 'Not valid in Mexico'.

We were at the border and I started to worry when we had to buy Mexican insurance so we turned back haha.

It's just a nice, relaxing city. :thumbsup:

Black Gts
04-25-2013, 07:22 PM
how long does the zoo,seaworld, and midway take? no kids just me and the gf. is 4-6 hours each enough?

topher91
04-25-2013, 08:06 PM
The zoo and sea world is a full day each. The zoo is huge!!!

Midway is only a half day, unless you are stopping and reading everything in the audio tour. I think we squeezed in the midway tour and shopping in one day.

My buddies made the mistake of missing that exit to the outlet mall. They were stuck in mexico for 4 hours just trying to get back in. Waste of time.

nj2Type-S
04-25-2013, 10:15 PM
awesome tips so far, guys.

my mom's and my wife's past-time is shopping so that will be a full day, for sure. i know that the outlet malls in san diego are part of a nation-wide outlet mall chain; we've been to the ones in new york, seattle and vegas. they do have the same stores, but the prices are so ridiculously cheap!

i'm definitely looking forward to some mexican food! ...maybe i should keep driving to tijuana? hah!

i honestly wasn't even considering the zoo but from the feedback, i'd probably be crazy not to go.

mo_money2supe
04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Check out this taco place in La Jolla (just north of San Diego) if you want authentic Mexican food: http://goo.gl/maps/65gLO

By far the BEST Mexican food I ever ate while down there. Looks like somewhat of a dive but the food is oh so good... :drool:

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like they have several other locations too: http://www.rigobertostacoshop.com/rigobertos-taco-shop-taco-our-locations.htm Well worth checking at least one of the stores out!

TrevorK
04-30-2013, 04:45 PM
If you are staying in the gas lamp area (or one of the other areas services by rapid transit) you can take a single train to las americas outlets. It didn't seem unsafe or anything and the stop is a 5 minute walk from the outlet mall if I recall. Might be cheaper than renting (and parking) a rental car. The train ride is about the same length of time as driving.

You will even get the chance to walk through the storage yard "flea market" on the way to help complete the experience :)

nj2Type-S
05-29-2013, 12:09 AM
hey guys,

we're leaving tomorrow and I am finally just getting around to buying the "go san diego card" for my family and I. I'm looking at the redemption places and it's near our hotel. Should I even bother buying it online, or just buy it when I go there?

should we go for the san diego zoo or the san diego zoo safari? stupid question but how is the traffic on Saturdays? lol, that's when we plan on going to las Americas.

thanks again!

Black Gts
05-29-2013, 05:48 AM
I'm leaving today lol have a great time, beyond meet? Haha.

I asked in the socal thread but ill ask here, how is traffic gonna be Sunday am to Anaheim? Gonna get in Angeles game at noon then shoot out to laguna or Newport Beach, not sure but is traffic to lax gonna be terrible Monday morning?

86max
05-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
hey guys,

we're leaving tomorrow and I am finally just getting around to buying the "go san diego card" for my family and I. I'm looking at the redemption places and it's near our hotel. Should I even bother buying it online, or just buy it when I go there?

should we go for the san diego zoo or the san diego zoo safari? stupid question but how is the traffic on Saturdays? lol, that's when we plan on going to las Americas.

thanks again!

I just got back from San Diego on Sunday. Another beyond member let us use their costco membership to get the 'go san diego card' here which ended up being a lot cheaper than if you are to buy it down there. There is a redemption kiosk right beside the Midway should you choose to grab it on the way to the ship.

I didn't see the Zoo Safari park, but after seeing Seaworld and the Zoo I'd just about had enough of animals and large crowds haha. I'll check out the Safari park next time I'm down there.

Even though it was memorial day weekend, traffic didn't seem all that bad this weekend. Everything is a short cab ride away and the transit is pretty good so I never noticed any congestion delays. We never went to Las Americas though so ymmv.

Overall it's an awesome city and I'm sure you'll have fun. Clean, safe, lot's to do, and the people are hell of a lot nicer than your average Albertan :P

jonnycat
05-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Now that everyone has gone lol, If anyone is going to go, stop by La Jolla beach and forget the other restaurants. Get the steak or the burger at the french restaurant, Voulez Vous Cafe. Best burger I have ever eaten and I always order a burger everywhere.

I finished my wifes steak after my burger and it was also insanely tasty.

hurrdurr
05-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Lots of good suggestions, on top of what everyone has said, Coronado Beach was great! It just looked it back up and it was rated the best beach in USA in 2012.

We loved it there and the drive was beautiful.

Have fun

nj2Type-S
06-02-2013, 04:45 PM
hey guys,

my wife is shopping so i've got some time to kill. san diego is AWESOME!

we're literally a 2 min walk to the gaslamp quarter. we've done the follong so far:

- visit coronado island (had dinner at the hotel del)
- harbour cruise
- san diego zoo safari
- walk around seaport village
- las americas shopping
- miday carrier tour

we're here until tomorrow so i'll try to go to balboa park and visit the air and space museum.

here are my thoughts so far:

- rent a car! although parking is expensive. the zoo safari is about a 30+ min drive so you definitely do not want to take the taxi.

- chilly in the morning but it gets pretty warm as the day progresses. i love it because i like wearing hoodies so it's perfect!

- we are disappointed with the prices and selection at las americas. prices are about $5 more at cross iron mills so we'll just shop when we get home.

- lots and LOTS of walking! good for working off all those calories from pigging out. haha!

highlights of my trip so far:

- dinner at coronado island with f-18s flying over us to land on the carriers, AH-1 cobras flying around and what looked like navy SEALs training from afar.

- eating at "the boiling crab". fresh seafood just outside of san diego

- the zoo safari! like someone suggested on this thread, pay a bit more to be able to feed the giraffes and rhinos! honestly, that experience alone made it soo worth it! regular price is $44/person. if you want to feed the animals, it's $139/person.

- the midway! if you're a military enthusiast, you'll enjoy this for sure! there's an F4U corsair on display! so cool!

thanks for the tips, guys! i haven't gone to any restaurants you've suggested because being filipino, my family always want to go to jollibee and chow king EVERYTIME! my filipino brothas on this thread know what i'm talking about haha!

taemo
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
^lol like a true filipino :rofl:

looks like you guys are having a really good time though.
good call on the feeding giraffe and rhino, that was one of the most memorable experience we had in San Diego along seeing the pandas at the zoo

did you go to view the sunset in Sunset Cliff yet?

nj2Type-S
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
^we didn't get a chance to go there, man. :(

does anybody have a spare "san diego" keychain that they'd like to sell? my wife and i collect keychain of all the places that we've been and we forgot to buy one in san diego. Thanks!!!

darthVWader
06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
^we didn't get a chance to go there, man. :(

does anybody have a spare "san diego" keychain that they'd like to sell? my wife and i collect keychain of all the places that we've been and we forgot to buy one in san diego. Thanks!!!

Im going in Aug and can get one if needed.

nj2Type-S
06-03-2013, 09:34 PM
wow that was fast lol. i'll let you know if noone has replied from now until then.

i would really appreciate it, dude. thanks!

Black Gts
06-04-2013, 11:26 AM
This weekend was awesome, a ton of Canadians came down to watch the jay's. We did La Jolla, Pacific beach, and Coronado. Had dinner at Georges rooftop terrace in La Jolla at sunset, only two complaints about there. 1. Was cloudy (may grey) so couldn't actually see the sunset, but was really nice still. 2. The restaurant is 3 levels with the first being fine dining, the second and third are more casual with the top being open. The woman's washroom is on the bottom and when my gf went to the washroom some asshole proposed to his gf :banghead: :rofl:.
We also saw the midway, some days were tough with our (my) main things was baseball, I figure another 4 days would have been perfect, but I think that's our new vacation spot.

VWEvo
06-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Just headed down this weekend with the family. Biggest advice I can give, is use Priceline. I have booked our rental and hotel for at least half of the posted prices. Saved us a lot of money.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, any recommendations for dining with kids?

Black Gts
06-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Keep in mind your hotel is gonna charge parking, or you can park at meters on the street, but have to have them plugged at 8am. I don't have kids, and spent a lot of time in gaslamp so I got dinged $24 a day. I used priceline as well and stayed at the Bayside Wyndham.

nj2Type-S
06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
^werd! parking is EXPENSIVE! i spent $84 to park the car for 3 nights at the hotel; we stayed at the marriot marquis. i probably spent another $50 easily just parking around the city.

i did see a bunch of people with blue jays ball caps but it didn't occur to me that there might be a baseball game going on; petco park was a 10 min walk from the hotel.

hurrdurr
06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
If you think that's bad. Stay at the Fairmont San Francisco.

$54/day+tax + parking everywhere else. during the day/night

SMDH. The hotel room was only $99/night

nj2Type-S
06-04-2013, 05:11 PM
holy eff...

we don't typically rent cars as we prefer taking the transit, anyway. my mom isn't as mobile, so we were forced to rent.

i didn't get a chance to go to balboa park, which kinda sucks.

Tripz
07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 86max

I just got back from San Diego on Sunday. Another beyond member let us use their costco membership to get the 'go san diego card' here which ended up being a lot cheaper than if you are to buy it down there. There is a redemption kiosk right beside the Midway should you choose to grab it on the way to the ship.

I'm heading down to San Diego/LA this Thursday and was wondering if anyone picked up the 'Southern California CityPass' from Costco before? This covers 3 day pass to Disneyland, 1 day to Sea World and 1 day to Universal Studio. The cost on their website (http://www.costco.ca/Southern-California-CityPASS%C2%AE.product.100010685.html) is $300 whereas the cost at Flight Center is $380.. Costco seem to only ship to Canada and it takes 3-7 days which will be late (I was planning on buying it and getting it sent to my hotel but that won't work). I believe you need the physical copy or can I buy and print it off?

If anyone know if I can get this locally @ $300 or if this is something I can get while I'm there, please let me know!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found my answer