PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose...Rav 4 , CRV, Others ???

Nufy
04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Looking to lease a new vehicle for the wife in a month or so.

I am thinking along the lines of a Rav 4 / CRV or similar type of small SUV / Crossover.

Suggestions ?

Pros / Cons for each type etc...

Thanks.

A790
04-24-2013, 08:45 AM
What are your main requirements? Is resale value important to you?

The Kia Sorento get's decent reviews and starts at $23k. You also have the Hyundai Tuscon/Veracruz starting at 19k/23k respectively.

What about a Nissan Rogue?

Lex350
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
I've owned two Rav4's....never a single problem with either one. Both times I got the v6 model.

Nufy
04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by A790
What are your main requirements? Is resale value important to you?

The Kia Sorento get's decent reviews and starts at $23k. You also have the Hyundai Tuscon/Veracruz starting at 19k/23k respectively.

What about a Nissan Rogue?

I will be leasing / not buying...

Don't care about re-sale, only reliability.

Wife is downsizing from a Sienna so I need 4 doors and storage for the dog.

corsvette
04-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Nufy

I will be leasing / not buying...

Don't care about re-sale, only reliability.

Wife is downsizing from a Sienna so I need 4 doors and storage for the dog.

Don't get a Nissan Rouge if you want reliability. I helped a good friend buy a smallish SUV a little while back and read a ton of reviews (mostly consumer reviews) Found the best bets were the CRV/Rav4, and some models of Subarus, can't remember which Subies though. The Hyundais and Kia's hold up well at first then tend to start costing big $$$ later on in repairs. Spend a bit more now on a Toyota or Honda and you'll be much further ahead in the end imo.

Maybe also check out the new Escape. No telling how well it'll hold up though as the old model wasn't a poster child for reliability.

AndyL
04-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Friend just got into a '13 rav4 -> very nice...

you do care about resale on a lease, residual value translates into lower lease rate... something that depreciates 50% as soon as you drive off the lot costs you more than something that retains its value.

Graham_A_M
04-24-2013, 09:57 AM
As much as I despise Honda, My mom has a CRV thats ridiculously reliable, even at 280k on the clock. So she recommended her brother to get one, so he has a 2011, and is very happy with it. They seem like dandy SUV's... that are insanely reliable, so you cant go wrong with one.

SJW
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
My wife has a 2002 CRV and it's still going strong. They last.

clem24
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by SJW
My wife has a 2002 CRV and it's still going strong. They last.

Yup my parents have an '02 CR-V. They wanted to be one of the first as they were still being made in Japan at the time LOL. It's been daily driven since then and the 13 years later, it's still going strong. NOTHING has gone wrong with it (literally ZERO repairs other than normal maintenance), and not even any signs of rust. I drive it occasionally and it honestly still feels exactly like the day they brought it home.

Phihalo
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Have you consider the Mazda CX-5? Test drove one last week and it was fun (They've upgraded the engine to 2.5L) and it's good on gas. All the goodies added including blindspot monitor and I think it's 33K.

If you want something even smaller, can try out the JUKE but not everyone likes the look of it, i don't mind it :thumbsup:

4doorj
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I loved my cr-v! Kept its value, only had to do oil changes. But it is the most boring vehicle I have ever driven hahaha. But I'm sure most suv's in that price range would be.
I know its a very tiny market but I wish they still made manual suv's still.

Sugarphreak
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM

SkiBum5.0
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Very hard to vote against the CR-V and Rav4 when it comes to reliability. I would include the Ford Escape, Kia and Hyundia in the test drive mix. You get more tech items in the Escape (good and bad) including Sync, auto open rear hatch, and the self park thing.

alien
04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Kia sportage (hyundai tucson) seem to rate pretty decent.

You could also consider the Forester.

silvercivicsir
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Subaru Forester, got my vote. it's a little bland, but it was awesome in the winter, and hasn't missed a beat. I also like the "more boxy" shape than the Crv's/Rav4's out there.

4doorj
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I have a 2011 CRV, great vehicle… gets just under 10L/100km for city driving and has had absolutely zero problems. My only complaint is that it is too boring, after just over 2 years I can’t take it anymore…. .
You lasted longer then me. I only kept mine for 1.5 years.
Although I didnt upgrade to anything that much more exciting. Honda pilot, but the V6 power is sooooo much better. I remember driving on deerfoot with the crv. On any little incline you would be redlining just to stay constant speed of 110 hahahaha.

jdmXSI
04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
The new fozzy looks pretty good but im a little biased...

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2013_subaru_forester_overseas_04_1-1113.jpg

CanmoreOrLess
04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
New CRV wins in this review:
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2013-honda-cr-v-lx-awd-vs-2013-toyota-rav4-xle-fwd/?all=1

As it is for your wife, just Consumer Report the decision (CRV wins):
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/04/top-picks-2013/index.htm

The Forester doors open wider than the other makers, allowing for easier loading of kids and seats and stuff if it matters. As it is a lease, I'd buy new tires right away, swap over the factory duds (always garbage) and 36/48 months later swap back the originals when returning the vehicle. You might as well be driving on better, safer tires throughout the lease. Look for a vehicle that has rear AC/heat in the console as well, not all vehicles have them and it makes in humane in the rear seat area.

Sugarphreak
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Mitsu3000gt
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I'd go with the new Hyundai Santa Fe in this category - was extremely impressed with it. Drive trains are probably best in class as well IMO.

bleu
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I love the Rav. My mom just got a new one and I'm really impressed with it. I will most likely follow suit when I start a family. It's so spacious so it's great for cargo and doesn't feel like a big SUV when driving.

4doorj
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
The new rav4 looks awesome!