PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing Oil leaking on Street - What to Do?

SportEL
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
I had my car rustproofed yesterday, and because of that I didn't park my car in the garage or driveway as told by the shop. It will drip for the next 5 days. Now the neighbor is complaining that they can't wash the drippings off the street

Can I get in trouble from bylaw officers for this?

Hallowed_point
04-24-2013, 02:55 PM
If it's Krown..tell nosy neighbor that it's non toxic and has no solvents. Some people really need to get a life..you didn't park it on his driveway. That's what tax money pays for - street cleaning!!

Tik-Tok
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Tell him you're just helping to rust-proof the street.

Kloubek
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Not surprised... that stuff is crazy tough.

Did you not consider the fact that if it was going to drip in your garage it would also drip onto the street? Why not just cover your garage with cardboard or newspaper instead of messing up the street?

I imagine you probably could get in trouble with bylaw - and they may even charge you to clean it up. (If your neighbor reports it at least) Just move the damn thing into your garage and protect the floor before it gets even worse. At least if the neighbor thinks you care (not that you really do) they might be more reluctant to rat you out.

FraserB
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Put some heavy cardboard in your garage and then the car. Then go tell your neighbor to go cry to bylaw and try to prove it.

bignerd
04-24-2013, 05:23 PM
How much did it leak on the street?? Pretty uptight neighbor from the sounds of things..

SportEL
04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
I haven't had chance to go home and check, but they tried to wash it off, but it wouldn't come off. It leaked quite a bit it seems. They got some of it off.

I guess I will try to get the rest off just to keep everyone happy. Guess I will park in the alley too.

I don't have any newspaper or cardboard handy.

blitz
04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by SportEL
I don't have any newspaper or cardboard handy.

If only there was a way to buy newspaper.

SportEL
04-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by blitz

If only there was a way to buy newspaper.

Good point haha. I guess I can also wait until the people deliver the huge bundle of flyers as well tomorrow.

Hallowed_point
04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Newspaper isn't going to do jack shit with that stuff, it will soak right through. You need thick cardboard/kitty litter to absorb this stuff.

SportEL
04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
I parked in the alley. Problem fixed. I just hope no one breaks into my car.

carzcraz
04-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Just had one of our vehicles Krowned on Friday. Dont bother with newspapers. Instead, i went to Home Depot and bought those clear plastic drop sheets (used to cover furniture while painting etc.), laid it down and taped it to the garage floor. Best $5 spent :thumbsup:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/10-ft-x-20-ft-clear-1-mil-drop-cloth/943583

Hallowed_point
04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by carzcraz
Just had one of our vehicles Krowned on Friday. Dont bother with newspapers. Instead, i went to Home Depot and bought those clear plastic drop sheets (used to cover furniture while painting etc.), laid it down and taped it to the garage floor. Best $5 spent :thumbsup:

That's an even better idea :thumbsup: Fold it up when your done and double bag it. No mess!

clem24
04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Try Castrol Superclean. If your neighbour tried to use water to wash it off, of course it's not going to work..

JfuckinC
04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Or just scrape it with something :dunno:

carzcraz
04-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Or just scrape it with something :dunno:

Unfortunately this won't work as Krown is a type of oil that will soak in.

When we Krowned last year, there were drip marks left on the road in front of our driveway where the vehicle was briefly parked. Fortunately, the drip spots disappear entirely in a few months.

SportEL
04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by carzcraz

Great advice. I'll do that next time.

carzcraz
04-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SportEL

Great advice. I'll do that next time.

When I was at Home Depot, I recall seeing 3 different thicknesses of sheets. I went with the medium thickness as I wasn't sure if the cheaper one ($3.89 or so) would tear apart if laid overtop any amount of gravel in the garage from the vehicle rolling over it.