PDA

View Full Version : Take a part, leave a part

Kloubek
04-25-2013, 09:35 AM
So, I saw this on wranglerforums.com and I think it is a great idea. (Although it works better when everyone has the same vehicle, obviously).

The idea is that you post a part(s) you're looking for, and you also post a part(s) you have available for free to those participating. It is essential to post something have available to try to curb those who are just out to mooch.

If someone sees you are offering a part they need, they'll take it off your hands *at no charge*. If you see a part you need, you also can go pick it up at no charge.

The only charge involved would be shipping (if required), and that can be negotiated between the two individuals as to who will absorb the cost, and how much it will be.

Yes, this relies on the honour system to work properly, and yes, I'm sure some people will take advantage of it. But I think we have a fairly tight group here for a message forum, and I think it could really help a lot of people out.

And the reason I'm posting this as a suggestion rather than just making a thread? Well, I'm hoping the mods like the idea so much that they allow it to be in the marketplace area (maybe as a sticky?), and I don't want them to dock me another percentage because I posted something that didn't follow typical forum rules for that area.

Strider
04-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds good in theory, and maybe on car specific boards... but I can't see too many people giving away C63, GT-R, and 911 parts "at no charge" :rofl:

Kloubek
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Not sure if you're making a joke about the ballers on here, or if you're serious. Not everyone has high-end vehicles, of course.

There are certainly items of high value that people won't be interested in just giving away. And no doubt - even on this particular forum there are people trying to make it into a "trade" thread because they have higher priced items they don't want to just give away.

But that's not the intention of this concept in either case. The idea is that people throw up items they don't need any more and don't want to bother posting on Kijiji, and in return perhaps someone will put something up that they can use themselves. I know myself I have about a half dozen parts in my garage I don't need, but worth maybe $20 each I can't be bothered to post them to the public and deal with the "standard" Kijiji bullshit.

Now, high end vehicle parts like you speak of usually command a premium and it would be understandable if someone would rather get $75 for a pair of Porsche signal lens covers rather than just offer them up for free. On the other hand, if I had signal covers for my Jeep I didn't need anymore, it seems like the perfect venue to offer them to a fellow Beyonder who might need them.

Even on this Wranger forum, there are people putting up soft tops and stuff they no longer want. I'm quite surprised since now we're talking something worth a couple of hundred bucks... but they are buying into the concept of the thread and are happy to give it up for free. Give people an opportunity to be friendly and giving, and one might be surprised how many people are interested in participating.... especially if they themselves have benefited in kind from the thread in the past.

Myself, I offered up my TJ side steps and coil pack... worth about $500 and $300 respectively new. (Maybe only 25% value used, but still worth something to someone). In return, I have a guy in the USA shipping me a transfer case linkage rod for free which I'd probably pay $50 if I had to buy it.

cancer man
04-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I got a bunch of old BMW and Landrover bearings and valves.
What year i don't know probable low 70's.

rage2
04-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Sounds good in theory, and maybe on car specific boards... but I can't see too many people giving away C63, GT-R, and 911 parts "at no charge" :rofl:
I don't need a part, but I have some E46 M3 motor oil that I'll give away for free.

(Just to prove that I'm giving away baller parts LOL)

Team_Mclaren
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
^^ yo, Castrol TWS????? I want!!!

speedog
04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I don't need a part, but I have some E46 M3 motor oil that I'll give away for free.

(Just to prove that I'm giving away baller parts LOL)

Well seasoned oil?

Hallowed_point
04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I'd be up for this..although not too sure how useful my parts would be to most beyond.ca members..I'm fresh out of JDM type r parts.

if anyone wants a stock 98-02 f body air intake/shifter in good shape they are free for the picking!

oh what the hell, i've got 4 235 55 16" bf goodrich traction t/a's with plenty of tread left. pm me and they're yours. I was going to sell them on kijiji but whatever.

ianmcc
04-26-2013, 11:30 AM
I'll jump in as well.
My Kijiji ad-
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-F-S-All-Season-Tires-185-60-15-W0QQAdIdZ478634896
Asking $40 on Kijiji but text ONLY and mention your beyond user name and you can have for free if you pick up.
And you have to offer up something for free.

Kloubek
04-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Well it looks like there's interest, but the thread hasn't even started. This is just the suggestion thread.

So, mods, Rage... it's been suggested. Are we just going to let the idea die?

I've got:
Stock shocks and springs, rear sway links 1 front way link and a coil rail for the 4.0 I6 from a TJ.

MSD Ford V8 Distributor Cap - NEW

Pair of 185/65/14 "Classic radial" tires w about 30%.

Tik-Tok
04-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
It is essential to post something have available to try to curb those who are just out to mooch.

Just curious... what's to stop a moocher from saying he has some random part that nobody would want anyways, and going to collect from dozens of other Beyonder's?

rage2
04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^ yo, Castrol TWS????? I want!!!
Then come pick it up! I have 2 quarts left.

Originally posted by speedog
Well seasoned oil?
Unopened motor oil have a shelf life of 5-10 years if kept at room temperature (it has).

I also have a set of PSS's with only 500km's on 'em but I've already offered it for free for another beyonder.

Kloubek
04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Just curious... what's to stop a moocher from saying he has some random part that nobody would want anyways, and going to collect from dozens of other Beyonder's?

Nothing really from what I've said so far. As mentioned, some people will try to take advantage of it - that's in an asshole's nature.

I think the best way to curb this is that once an item is taken, the previous owner modifies his post to indicate who took it. (He's going to have to modify the post anyway to say it is no longer available) If we see someone sucking up all the free stuff I'm sure something can be done. Beyond doesn't react favourably to those who screw our members.

It doesn't matter anyway... it looks like Rage would rather discuss lubricants than to try this concept out on the forum...

rage2
04-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I thought I'm trying it out right here? I got takers for my parts so it looks like its working haha.

rage2
04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
More from my garage cleanup today for free. AMG door sills for C Coupes.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/null_zpscb1178b6.jpg

Kloubek
04-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I thought I'm trying it out right here? I got takers for my parts so it looks like its working haha.

Yeah, but it's in the suggestion section. And rules haven't been properly defined.

But yes, it does look like it's working - so do I have permission to start a thread in the parts section, outlining the rules, etc, and can we sticky it to the top?

btimbit
04-29-2013, 02:06 AM
I like the idea, so much random stuff has gone into the garbage since selling it wouldn't be worth my time for $20

ExtraSlow
04-29-2013, 05:57 AM
I like the idea too. I have a few items, worth between $20 and $50 that could use a home.
looking for a front bumper for a 2002 Protege5 as of yesterday too.