PDA

View Full Version : Offer to move to Brisbane - Anyone lived there?

Ekliptix
04-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I'm from Calgary, worked for a software/engineering company there for 5 years, moved to Houston to start a new office for them 2 years ago, and now have the option to move to Brisbane for 2 years to build our presence there. I'd be on my own, selling our software to companies throughout Australia (Adelaide, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane).

I've been to Brisbane many times, but only for short periods of time.
I'll be moving by myself. I've always had a house but am considering getting an apartment in a nice area.

I'm not basing my decision to move there based on Beyond feedback but I am looking for input from anyone who has lived there. Can you comment on my following assumptions:

Pros:
Lots of activities to do outside of work (beach, hike, travel).
Weather.
Laid back attitude of locals (could be a con).

Cons:
Cost of living is high.
Stores close early.
Shitty cars that are expensive.
14 hours from family in Calgary.

If you lived there, what did you love and hate?

Right now, I love Houston's low low cost of living, the fact that you can get any car you want for the best price possible, and if you like participating in auto racing there are lots of options. Compared to Calgary, I find there's little to do here that I like outside (snowmobiling, mountain biking).

Thanks mates.

msommers
04-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I know a couple folks that have moved to Brisbane. I'll copy/paste your questions and relay the info.

sillysod
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Graham I've been quite a few times myself and have a close friend from Australia.

The locals are nice, but very crude. I was in a business meeting with CEO that got up and said she needed to hit the pisser cause her pussy was gonna burst. Yes a lady, and nobody thinks a thing of it over there.

Houston is 10x the city that Brisbane is. You mentioned the cost of living, it is absolutely nuts there. Everything is expensive because it has to come by boat.

I wouldn't even consider it myself. Houston to Calgary is a quick jump and it isn't expensive. You have access to great race tracks where you are and nice cars are dirt cheap. You can kiss that all good bye in Aussie land. Contract for a couple years okay, but anything more than that I would say forget it and just stay in Sugarland or wherever you are in TX.

The worst thing though about Australia that didn't make your list is all the shit that is constantly trying to kill you. You may like hiking but hiking there is not the same thing. There are spiders and snakes that will drop you like a 10 year old little girl in the ring with GSP if you get bit. The beaches are nice but full of jellies a lot of the time and pretty much all shark attacks happen in Australia.

boxer23
04-27-2013, 12:07 AM
- Brisbane is a pretty boring city but its close proximity to some amazing places makes it worthwhile i.e. Noosa, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast is pretty nice
- You won't notice the cost of living since the wages there are on average much higher than US/Canada. The only thing that would be expensive is living in Brisbane CBD
- You could get a pretty nice Holden Commodore GT for a fair price
- Australia is one of the best places in the world to live, and from the sounds of it you will be traveling a lot between the different cities. I think that would be a pretty nice benefit allowing you to see and experience so much.
- Flights are a lot longer than 14 hours, since you have to connect in SFO/LAX/YVR

FraserB
04-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Beaches are not "full" of jellyfish and the odds of actually being attacked by a shark are minute.

Pretty much everything Boxer23 said is spot on.

yellowsnow
04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
I live in Brisbane for a year. I'll try to list a few things I liked/disliked about it there.

Liked:
- Weather. Some people may not like the heat, but I liked it a lot. The most I had to put on was a sweater during their 'winter' months. The locals will be in down jackets, and call it freezing.
- Food was not too bad. Lots of aussies seem to want to be gourmet chefs, so lots of restaurants around the city center where I was living. They all seem to love the show Masterchef. (i admit I got hooked on it too while I was there)
- Fruit! Mango season is to die for.. i've never had so many mangoes in my life.
- If you like to drink, you'll feel right at home.
- Bus/ferry/train makes traveling really easy. Hop on a train, and you can be at the gold coast in 1 hour.
- Easy and cheap to travel to Asia.

Disliked:
- Expensive. Even grocery stores are really pricey. Practically double our prices.
- Rainy season. we were there during the huge flood. not fun.
- SOME aussies are about 15-20 years behind. you'll understand once you get to know them.
- like you mentioned... laid back attitude. Don't expect anything to happen right away... it usually won't.
- Too far from Canada.

We had the option to stay there permanently, but decided against it.

e36bmw///
04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
nm

Darkane
04-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
^ haha what do you mean 15-20 years behind?

He means like most people from Edmonton.

cosmok
05-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Flights to Calgary are around 20-23 hours each way depending on the connection through Sydney. You can go to DFW direct from BNE on certain days and connect to Calgary with WestJet but it's a pain in the cunt to organize.

Cost of living is very high in comparison to Texas. Do you smoke or like to drink? May want to consider quitting before you come over. Do you like stringy steak swimming in gravy?

If your company is paying your taxes and arranging a place for you to stay (looking at minimum $600 a week for a small place in and around the CBD) then why not, it's a hop skip and jump to stupid cheap Asian countries and New Zealand. The Aussie women love the Canadian accent - this is due in part to the general dry humor and mannerisms of the dudes down here.

Transit system in Brisbane is great and you don't really need a car day to day. When you do want to head to either coast just rent a little hatch for $40 a day. Gas is around $1.54/L right now so if you want to live in Logan and buy a Commodore, enjoy burning the money (the Bogans live in Logan).

Flood cycle is every two years so if you came now you should be okay for the time you are here.

Laid back attitude is one way of saying most people don't like to work. You get frustrated at first, no one here seems to really care about productivity so you lose interest after a while.

cosmok
05-03-2013, 01:23 PM
In regards to everything that moves wants to kill you, anti-venom is available for all spiders here and there hasn't been a death from a spider bite in something like 30 years. Most reported snake bites in Queensland are from people trying to kill the snake, you're not going to randomly step on a King Brown.

Jelly season on the northern coast - you swim in the net or wear a jelly suit if you're on the reef. Pretty simple stuff.

kaput
06-09-2014, 02:46 PM

J-D
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Australia over Houston for me! Although it'd be pretty sweet to have a mansion for like $15 or whatever they cost in Houston nowadays.

Sugarphreak
06-10-2014, 07:01 AM

kaput
06-10-2014, 09:58 AM

zipdoa
06-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Thread bump!

My S/O has an offer from her employer to move to Australia for 2.5 years.

I want to join. I have zero clue about anything to do with getting a visa/work/whatever.

I'm a new-grad from SAIT. I'm in IT. I have no problem having a fire sale and getting rid of every possession I own to fund this adventure. My biggest concern is that I won't be able to find a job in IT and I'll get booted out after 6 months.

Wat do?

flipstah
06-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Thread bump!

My S/O has an offer from her employer to move to Australia for 2.5 years.

I want to join. I have zero clue about anything to do with getting a visa/work/whatever.

I'm a new-grad from SAIT. I'm in IT. I have no problem having a fire sale and getting rid of every possession I own to fund this adventure. My biggest concern is that I won't be able to find a job in IT and I'll get booted out after 6 months.

Wat do?

Technology is big in Australia. You can also be an IT rep with the mining industry.

You just need a work visa methinks:
http://www.canada.embassy.gov.au/otwa/contact.html

They rich over there.

I miss Australia. :(

kaput
06-24-2014, 04:59 PM

zipdoa
06-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by kaput

Have you lived together for the last 12 months and do you have paperwork to prove it? If so, you can probably go as her de facto spouse and her company should take care of all the paperwork. However, depending on the visa category, you probably won't have a lot of rights (i.e, you may not be able to get a credit card or even a cell phone in your name - she will have to do it all and take responsibility for you). You should be able to work, again, depending on the specific visa. I'm guessing she would get a 457 if its employer sponsored for that length of time.

Haven't lived together, so de facto likely wouldn't happen.

I've emailed the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship. So far it looks like 12 months is the maximum working holiday without a sponsor. Also seems like a 417 visa restricts the field of work to mining/construction/agriculture.

kaput
06-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Dumbass17
06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
GO GO GO GO GO!

I lived on the Gold Coast for 3 years and I miss it everyday.

Take the chance. Do you want to die regretting things you didn't do?

I would go back in a heartbeat.
I was in Brisbane numerous times and I found it to be quite like Calgary.
I don't know why everyone says it's so expensive. It's not nearly as bad as one thinks.

Here's a list I compiled on my phone comparing the two countries when I thought of them haha
Also, CANADA IS FREEZING. Get your ass out of here. Have you surfed?! It's the most amazing feeling when you catch your first barrel. go go go go go!

Canada
Has many denominations of booze
Way better bacon
You can turn right on red lights!
Bigger, pointless trucks
Have to put food away when camping
Above 10 is summer weather
Mountains
2 weeks holiday
Ridiculously named coins
Wing nights
Cheaper
Girls personalities are awesome
Stays bright late at summer
You wear a hoody more often than not
Winter is fucking 9 months long and depressing

Australia
Surfing
Kids are allowed in bars
No tipping
Ugg boots are unisex
Meat Pies
Below plus 10 is freezing
Ocean
4 weeks holiday
Taxes are included in price :)
Everyone is active and awake by 7am
Station wagons are awesome/cool
You can walk around my area with open beer
Always drinking in cars as passengers on a roadtrip
Never wearing shoes
You need one or two jackets, ever

Originally posted by sillysod

The worst thing though about Australia that didn't make your list is all the shit that is constantly trying to kill you. You may like hiking but hiking there is not the same thing. There are spiders and snakes that will drop you like a 10 year old little girl in the ring with GSP if you get bit. The beaches are nice but full of jellies a lot of the time and pretty much all shark attacks happen in Australia.
Oh god, It's not even like that. You're paranoid