PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying my car on Saturday and I need advice asap. Don't know if I should...

AnujisBerg
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
My current ride is an 02 accord SE, 4 cylinder.

I want a fun summer car that I can flip once the summer ends.

I found an 08 civic si with 60k on it and talked the guy down to 12k.

He said he'll hold onto it for me until Saturday, and then all bets are off.

I was going to sell my accord before buying the SI, but I've run out of time. The SI is in my gf's home town (where her parents live) and we're visiting there this weekend. Nobody is buying my accord for the price I want because of a little ding on it. Turns out a friend of a friend owns an autobody shop, and he said he can fix everything for 200$, so I'm just going to hold onto it for an extra month instead of taking people's lowball offers.

Body shop guy is in the business of selling rebuilt cars. In Saskatchewan (and I'm assuming Canada), to even register a rebuilt car it needs to go through vigorous inspections. He offered to sell me an 07 SI with 80k on it for 7500$.

Three questions:

1) If you were going to spend 12k on a summer car, would you say civic si is a good bet? I know some people would say buy a convertible, but you can't sell a convertible once the summer ends.

2) Do you guys think I can flip an 08 si with lets say 80k on it for 14k?

3) Think I should go down the rebuilt road, ride it around for the summer, and then sell it later?

At this point I'm all out of ideas. I just want to drive something fun for the summer because I haven't even had a car that's over 150 HP. I'm going back to school in the fall so I can't get stuck losing money (which is why the 12k si sale is scaring me a little).

Advice?

dubhead
04-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Skyline?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/pv/Used/Nissan/Skyline/all/?prx=100&cty=CHESTERMERE&prv=Alberta&r=20&loc=T1X0M7&cat1=2&cat2=7%2c11%2c10%2c9&st=1

AnujisBerg
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
I think the skyline would be hard to sell once the summer ends, another concern is that for 12k, you'll end up with an older skyline, so you're more likely to have to pay tons for maintenance issues.

A790
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't. Si's aren't exactly "fun" cars (fairly gutless and slow at our altitude), but that's subjective. You might love it.

If you think selling your accord with the ding is hard wait until you try to sell something with a rebuilt title.

dubhead
04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by AnujisBerg
I think the skyline would be hard to sell once the summer ends, another concern is that for 12k, you'll end up with an older skyline, so you're more likely to have to pay tons for maintenance issues.

Just gotta hope its holds up for the next 4 months but your probably right. I'm not sure if there much out there with the same zip/$ though

revelations
04-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Dude I'd just rent a car for a couple of weekends.

rage2
04-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Did I read this right? You want to buy a car, worth $12k, put on 20,000 km's over the summer, then resell it for a $2k profit? And you want it to be guaranteed sold at that price so you don't lose money?

Even if you're buying wholesale and selling at retail, you'd be lucky to break even.

AnujisBerg
04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Revelations you have a good point there.

Another reason I want to go from the accord to the si is because the accord is just horrible on gas, especially for city driving.

I had a 98 civic lx, and I could get 7L/100km highway easy. With the accord I'm lucky if I can do 10L/100km. It's way worse in the city where I can see 20L/100km.

I realize I'm going to have to pay for premium gas and synthetic oil, and that might make it just as expensive as the accord. But I also want to learn how to drive a standard so I can move up to the stronger cars like the STI and the Evo. Sadly I never learned how, and I've heard that hondas and acuras have the best learning curve for sticks.

So you guys really think that I won't feel much oomph from an 08 SI? 197 hp 6 speed just seems like it would have some oomph to it, especially when the car weighs as little as it does.

In any case, I'm just learning here, so if I look like a total car noob, chances are it's because I am right now. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

EDIT:

Rage2, the car isn't worth 12k. I'd say it's market value right now is closer to 13-15k. I've been eyeing this car since January and he finally agreed to sell it to me for 12k due to logistical issues with him being in different cities than the car.

My accord I bought for 4200 at the beginning of the year, and earlier someone offered me 6100 for it. Sadly that ding was on there so I couldn't sell it. But it isn't uncommon to buy cars, drive them around, and flip them for more than you paid for it. Just gotta find the right deal. I guess I'm questioning whether I found a good deal or not.

A790
04-25-2013, 08:05 PM
See my comments.

Revelations you have a good point there.

Another reason I want to go from the accord to the si is because the accord is just horrible on gas, especially for city driving.

I had a 98 civic lx, and I could get 7L/100km highway easy. With the accord I'm lucky if I can do 10L/100km. It's way worse in the city where I can see 20L/100km.

ARE YOU SURE IT'S RUNNING RIGHT?

I realize I'm going to have to pay for premium gas and synthetic oil, and that might make it just as expensive as the accord. But I also want to learn how to drive a standard so I can move up to the stronger cars like the STI and the Evo. Sadly I never learned how, and I've heard that hondas and acuras have the best learning curve for sticks.

TRUE. A HONDA GEARBOX IS PRETTY EASY TO LEARN ON.

So you guys really think that I won't feel much oomph from an 08 SI? 197 hp 6 speed just seems like it would have some oomph to it, especially when the car weighs as little as it does.

AT EDMONTON'S ELEVATION (2,200FT) YOU'RE LOSING ABOUT 13 HORSEPOWER SO YOUR 197HP CAR IS NOW 184HP. PLUS THE SI IS A TORQUELESS WONDER, NOT REALLY A LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE UNLESS YOU'RE CONSTANTLY WRINGING IT OUT (REVVING THE PISS OUT OF IT), AT WHICH POINT YOU CAN KISS YOUR GAS MILEAGE GOODBYE.

In any case, I'm just learning here, so if I look like a total car noob, chances are it's because I am right now. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

EDIT:

Rage2, the car isn't worth 12k. I'd say it's market value right now is closer to 13-15k. I've been eyeing this car since January and he finally agreed to sell it to me for 12k due to logistical issues with him being in different cities than the car.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT FOR 12 THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT. IF MARKET VALUE REALLY IS 13-15K 12K ISN'T A BAD DEAL. BUT, AT THE END YOU STILL HAVE TO SELL IT FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT. THAT'S A BIG RISK TO TAKE.

My accord I bought for 4200 at the beginning of the year, and earlier someone offered me 6100 for it. Sadly that ding was on there so I couldn't sell it. But it isn't uncommon to buy cars, drive them around, and flip them for more than you paid for it. Just gotta find the right deal. I guess I'm questioning whether I found a good deal or not.

YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOCKED $500 OFF AND SOLD IT FOR $5,600. LOL.

Graham_A_M
04-25-2013, 08:12 PM

WOW. how the hell do you drive an Accord to get 20L/100km's??? I've honestly never knew that was possible unless, "City driving" to you means nothing but usage at the racetrack.
I dont even get that bad fuel economy with our gas powered 3/4 ton.

AnujisBerg
04-25-2013, 08:21 PM
I drive pretty aggressively I'll say that... It could just have been the winter, or maybe something really is wrong with the car. But in the winter I was getting about 350km for 65L of gas, so not exactly 20, more like 18. But far worse than the quoted 25MPG you see on websites.

I've read forums and apparently I'm not the only one getting shitty mileage out of the 02 accord. All I know is a 45L fillup with my civic lasted me 2 weeks of routine city driving, whereas 65L will last me about a week with my accord. That's winter driving mind you, but that's quite a bit to swallow when you consider I'm in Regina, and it takes only 10 minutes to drive to work every day.

You guys are right though. I just wish there was a way to try cars out for a little while before you decide which one you want to keep. Who the heck can decide something like that off of a test drive?

Graham_A_M
04-25-2013, 08:24 PM
You can ask to go on a longer one which they should be cool with. Maybe make a list of things you want to check while on the test ride so you're not left wondering anything. Or ask to borrow friends, if they have something similar.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-25-2013, 08:35 PM
You get worse mileage in your 4 cyl Accord than I do in my 135i with a tune drifting, idling and driving hard in winter.

I personally find that hard to believe.

ddduke
04-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Why don't you go with rebuilt and keep it for more then a summer?

If it's fixed properly then who cares, if you sell your accord then the rebuilt is going to cost fuck all to buy. While lots of people don't want rebuilt vehicles, there's also tons of people who will buy it if the price is right.

Just my .02 here, but if you think that an Accord is bad on gas then you shouldn't be driving anything besides an econobox for the rest of your life. If you want a "fun" or sports car then they're going to suck gas.

Hallowed_point
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
^^^ x2 on A790's comments..don't do it. Just don't.

Buy a 90's 5.0/4.6 mustang or something like that if you want cheap fun..the lack of torque in the si will disappoint you. You can probably find a decent GT on kijiji for under 4 K with decent kms. If your getting a car that requires premium for the love of god don't make it a honda si.

Sugarphreak
04-25-2013, 08:44 PM

The BMW Guy
04-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
You get worse mileage in your 4 cyl Accord than I do in my 135i with a tune drifting, idling and driving hard in winter.

:werd:
Wtf are you doing when you drive in the city? Revving while waiting at red lights? Redlining when you drive around?

As for your situation, like others have said, don't do it.

03ozwhip
04-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I drive pretty aggressively I'll say that... It could just have been the winter, or maybe something really is wrong with the car. But in the winter I was getting about 350km for 65L of gas, so not exactly 20, more like 18. But far worse than the quoted 25MPG you see on websites.

I've read forums and apparently I'm not the only one getting shitty mileage out of the 02 accord. All I know is a 45L fillup with my civic lasted me 2 weeks of routine city driving, whereas 65L will last me about a week with my accord. That's winter driving mind you, but that's quite a bit to swallow when you consider I'm in Regina, and it takes only 10 minutes to drive to work every day.

You guys are right though. I just wish there was a way to try cars out for a little while before you decide which one you want to keep. Who the heck can decide something like that off of a test drive?

dude, i drive basically the same thing as you, but its a TL and its a v6. i consistently get 600km to a tank of gas, right from empty to full probably around 9-10km/L, a little less in the winter. you have something wrong with your car, bottom line.

as far as the question at hand goes, a car is a losing investment. why buy a car for only a 4 month period? chances are that youll lose money, only a very slight chance of even breaking even, let alone making anything off of it unless it was a ridiculous deal to begin with. if for some reason you are able to sell it for a profit, youll probably be holding onto it until way after summer for the right doofus to pay what you want.

my vote is to not buy another car, fix the one you have because its a great car and save your money for a car you want to keep longer than a summer.

Cos
04-25-2013, 09:10 PM

D. Dub
04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Even if you're buying wholesale and selling at retail, you'd be lucky to break even.

You're being generous.

Graham_A_M
04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Im really not sure why you're only choosing jap cars if you want a fun, cheap car. :dunno:
There are several mustang GT's I'd by, or anything else really. Expecting earnest fun with a Civic SI???

:rofl: :rofl:

A lot of Mustang GT convert's can be had at a decent price, they hold their value well, and are a lot of fun.

You can even buy a Buick Grand National on Ebay for within your budget, and you'd *EASILY* make money on it when trying to sell it on here. That? is an epic car, and very much fun to drive. That 3.8L V6 turbo still will always hold the test of time. Back then it was a corvette killer, and still is fuck loads of fun today.

:thumbsup:

revelations
04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Originally posted by The BMW Guy

:werd:
Wtf are you doing when you drive in the city? Revving while waiting at red lights? Redlining when you drive around?

As for your situation, like others have said, don't do it.

Originally posted by Cos

Gets worse mileage than my 6800 lb 4x4 5.4 V8 truck in 4hi driving on lease roads that are washed out.

Yeah I am going to say it isnt running right.

:rofl: Love the comparions....

OP you can rent a decent car EVERY WEEKEND almost for the $$ and time youll spend on a used car, dealing with issues and trying to sell.

rage2
04-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Either it's a scam, or the car is a POS. If the car is worth more than 12k, it's not going to sell for 12k haha.

vengie
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
20L/100km in an accord?!? That's worse than my 02 TJ, fully armoured with a 4.5" lift and 33's! Ahaha wow...

black13
04-25-2013, 11:25 PM
My friend has that Accord and gets at least 700km a tank dude. It beats the shit out of a civic in everyway and its actually fairly fun car to drive. Although his is a manual and with a short shifter and intake it got even better.

Either there's something wrong with your accord (lack of maintenance) or you don't know how to calculate mpg.

spikerS
04-26-2013, 07:34 AM
To Answer all of your questions,

NO

clem24
04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
If you're trying to flip a car, the cheaper it is, the more desirable it is, the better chance you have. So if you must buy a Civic SI, buy the rebuilt 07 for $8k. Get it inspected by Honda. Also, it's almost impossible to flip a car.. Think about the depreciation hit that it will take this year, plus the fact that you're adding another owner to it. The fact that you can make a $2k profit on your Accord is clouding your judgment and bringing you into this fantasy world where you think a car is a investment. (With super rare exceptions) It's not.

I used to think I could - a few years ago, I was looking into bringing in a USDM 07 or 08 M5 for cheap, drive it for the summer, and sell without losing money. After adding up everything, and the fact that the 'cheap' M5s were pieces of shit (i.e. high mileage), I suddenly came to the realization that it wasn't going to happen.

Really, the only way to flip a car, is to be in the biz, or have 'insider' deals (like getting a severely underpriced car from a family member, knowing someone who owns a dealership who can get you an auction car at their cost).

Anyway sounds to me like you're trying to do this on a tight budget. My advice, hold onto to your Accord for another year or 2 and start saving some cash. Buy the car you actually want to own.

JustinMCS
04-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by A790
I wouldn't. Si's aren't exactly "fun" cars (fairly gutless and slow at our altitude), but that's subjective. You might love it.

If you think selling your accord with the ding is hard wait until you try to sell something with a rebuilt title.

+1

Agree on both accounts.

Canucks3322
04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Buy my Z for sale on here...done...its auto though but $7,500 :poosie:

Hallowed_point
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Buy my Z for sale on here...done...its auto though but $7,500 :poosie:

Or this...they aren't usually that cheap.

Canucks3322
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Not a rebuilt either....just has cosmetic damage, check out my ad on here and lemme know...just having the summer tires mounted onto the separate set of stock rims today...

rated_R
04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
[Originally posted by AnujisBerg [/i]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rage2
[B]
Either it's a scam, or the car is a POS. If the car is worth more than 12k, it's not going to sell for 12k haha.

^ +1

OP - make sure it's not one of those Nigerian scams, where they claim they'll ship you the car from wherever the hell once they take your money.

G-ZUS
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
You got offered 6100 for a 02 Accord and didn't take it? :rofl:

NCS05
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Buy a motorcycle. Problem solved.