PDA

View Full Version : Realtor House Warming Gifts

Pages : [1] 2

Sugarphreak
04-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Alterac
04-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Ive received 2x $50 Gift Cards for Earls, and for another place i received $100 to Home Depot.

Seems my gifts were $100 off :D

project240
04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
My brother has gotten box seats for Canucks/Roughrider games (bought in both Vancouver/Regina), gift cards,etc.

When we bought our house, we didn't receive anything from the realtor... not sure if it's customary or not

ercchry
04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
got NOTHIN when selling (well, depends how you look at it. we got some money off the commission, but that was to make up for submitting the wrong counter offer haha)... first home we purchased, fridge full of beer and a $100 gift card for dinner, second place $150 to some super modern furniture store... when we bought a century home...

all the same realtor, guy is pretty random if you ask me ;)

and when i say fridge full of beer, i mean the shelves were bowing :rofl:

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/310374_10150458939893638_1536604543_n.jpg

...i think that was after i made a decent dent in the supply

colsankey
04-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I've yet to do my realtor review (its on my list of to-dos) but as a buyer, I ended up with a good sized GC to Mercato's that covered the whole meal and several drinks. First time being there and it was... :drool:

roopi
04-25-2013, 09:48 PM
As a buyer 7 years ago nothing. Wasn't expecting anything though.

nzwasp
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
I used redline realestate last time to sell old and buy a new house, they gave us some redline glasses, and a pinic basket and a blanket all themed from their company. Sounds like people get way better stuff than we did.

Ntense_SpecV
04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
For our first place that we purchased, we got a outdoor bar setup. It was pretty cool. When we sold that place and purchased another, we got a set of Cutco steak knives and a knife block with more knives. The realtor on the second place was both the listing and purchasing realtor so he made big $$$ on that one. What made it funny was that he had his name and brokerage engraved on one of the chef's knives - so I'm not sure it even cost him anything for that.

max_boost
04-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Lawyer fees, washer and dryer, cash back, etc.

Onechan
04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Lol.. we got a coupon for 10% off if we go through his home inspection friend
10% of we go through his recommended lawyer
Not really a house warming gift tho.

He asked if we had a bbq... then that was the end of that.

dj_rice
04-26-2013, 09:06 AM
My co-worker got a $500 GC for a House Cleaning Company.

I will post in a few months to see what my realtor gets me and so far from what I know, shes loaded.

skandalouz_08
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
I got a $100 GC to Mercato as well.

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
For our first place that we purchased, we got a outdoor bar setup. It was pretty cool. When we sold that place and purchased another, we got a set of Cutco steak knives and a knife block with more knives. The realtor on the second place was both the listing and purchasing realtor so he made big $$$ on that one. What made it funny was that he had his name and brokerage engraved on one of the chef's knives - so I'm not sure it even cost him anything for that.

The realtor pays for the branding and his info on the knives as well as the cost of the knife. Cheapest knife sells for around $40 I believe for 1 knife.

j.garner
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
As a buyer last year I didn't get anything, was a poor experience overall with the relator i used.

300zxfairlday
04-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Bought 2 condos through the same Realtor and send her 2 more buyers. Did not get anything. This was just in the past 3 months

Skyline_Addict
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
$200 or $300 Future Shop gift card for my first home purchase + free carpet cleaning.

masoncgy
04-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Out here on the Island, she gave us a potted plant and a gift certificate for $50 for a local greek restaurant.

She then ponied up about $100 for a cleaning person to come and scrub the kitchen and bathrooms because they were fucking disgusting... ugh. My poor wife cried all day.

The two other purchases I have done, both in Calgary, I didn't get much other than a thank you card.

Jordan sold my house 3 years ago and he went above and beyond the call of duty to get the place sold... no gift necessary! lol.

Perfect Dark
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
The last home we bought we got to use our realtor's townhouse in Radium for a week...we didn't get anything this time around.

eblend
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
A Cutco Santoku knife with his name engraved, thanks Jay! We still haven't used it because we got about 3 santoku knifes still, but one day we will once ours die out. Cutco knifes are awesome, remember I had to sell them for a marketing project at Haskayne hehe, so I got the sample set for cheap back then and still use it to this day, good knifes.

Sugarphreak
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM

D. Dub
04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I always thought it was customary, but I guess it really depends on how "successful" your realtor is.

fixed that for ya

bjstare
04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Got sweet fuck all from our realtor in 2010. He also saved a bunch of money cause we used him as a dual agent (for buyer and seller).

Overall, would not recommend him, as he definitely didn't represent our interests very well. If I did it over again I would not go the dual agency route. Also, like many realtors, he fell off the face of the earth after we signed on the line.

D. Dub
04-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Got sweet fuck all from our realtor in 2010. He also saved a bunch of money cause we used him as a dual agent (for buyer and seller).

Overall, would not recommend him, as he definitely didn't represent our interests very well. If I did it over again I would not go the dual agency route. Also, like many realtors, he fell off the face of the earth after we signed on the line.

They are so greedy and stupid it boggles the mind. The last house I bought the realtor double ended the deal and disappeared after the conditional sale. Worse yet I saw him at the mall about 5 months later and he didn't recognize me.

Wow. The lack of business/social skills is amazing.

B20EF
04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Lawyer fees, washer and dryer, cash back, etc.

Those are crazy gifts!

I got a nice knife set.

AndyL
04-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Look at the users who are posting, guesstimate their baller status and debate whether they are tied ;)

if your buying a million $ home, your gonna get swag... if your buying a 200k townhouse... probably not so much - or about 1/5th of the swag anyway...

gifts probably are in direct proportion to realtor commission...

ercchry
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
gifts are in direct correlation of other clients current hookups. no rhyme or reason beyond that

topsecret
04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
I got 2 texas mickeys when I moved in, used the realtor to purchase the house!

SkiBum5.0
04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
In my mind I am paying for the services of the realtor - not the gift (you are paying for those gifts one way or another).

It is a nice gesture though and probably goes a long way to relationship building which is why it happens.

I received a nice bottle of tequila and great service and thus I would recommend the realtor for a first time buyer.

project240
04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

It is a nice gesture though and probably goes a long way to relationship building which is why it happens.

Obviously a person would/wouldn't recommend based on service, but a gift is probably a good "something to remember me by" (remember me when your friends/family need to buy or sell)

bleu
04-26-2013, 04:40 PM
$200 Gift card to home outfitters and a basket with champagne, flutes and other goodies.

ipeefreely
04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
When we bought our house the relator setup to have a locksmith come out and rekey the locks after we got possession! :thumbsup:

He also gave us a couple bottles of wine (but they're crap so they're still in our cupboard 3 years later! :rofl: ).

spikerS
04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
I didn't get anything, but then, my realtor is my best friend, so I didn't want anything either, and if he gave me something, I would have slapped him.

but then again, 4 days after possession, I got in a car accident, and he organized a moving session to help me get into the new house!

JordanLotoski
04-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi.

Ill shed a little light on this for you.

I "ALWAYS" do house warming gifts. it really varies on what I buy based on the buyer.

Today I did a closing on a 2 bedroom unit in Union square and I bought her a 200.00 gift card to Holt Renfrew

Had a high net worth buyer last week that spent 1.3m....I bought him a very expensive knife and a crazy expensive cutting board. (800.00 value)

I also offer all my connections to save my clients money when furnishing, electronics, cars, whatever I have I always pass along whatever savings I can

After the deal is done. I still offer whatever support is needed, whether its a question or if I have to go by to help pick out a paint colour (which I have done 2 years after they moved in)

I also take care of all my clients that refer people my way with a gift card for a nice meal.

Iam a 100% full service agent and want to ensure my clients are never strangers.

Hope that helps a little

Type_S1
04-26-2013, 06:46 PM
$1000 to sleep country, great deal haha

Sugarphreak
04-26-2013, 08:23 PM

R-Audi
04-27-2013, 11:32 AM
The best I've heard from a friend was:
-Paid for and arranged move out cleaner
-Small Dyson hand held vacuum
-Had the windows cleaned 6 months after moving in.

After my last sale and purchase I got a $100 gift card to BestBuy. That was with both houses in the 500 range....

My Wife's company does baskets and gifts for Realtors and Home builders, she sees a huge variety in what certain companies spend. One builder gives (or gave.. I haven't seen lately) the same gift for their 200k condo as their 600k homes...doesn't seem right.

JordanLotoski
04-27-2013, 02:18 PM

I was wondering if there an unwritten rule when it comes to gifts, like a relative amount to how much the sale is valued at?

I was thinking that for a 250K townhome, something in the 200$ mark would be pretty nice, but as you mentioned in the 1M mark, you spend a little more because it is a bigger sale and the gift should be more relative.

Also, is it something the agency recommends or something that each agent decides for themselves?

Id say Most agents Don't do any house warming gifts and if they do it might be a bottle of wine and a card.

When Iam working on a sell and a buy I always offer a discount off my commission on the sale and something smaller as a house warming gift for the purchase.

There is a very high volume agent in my office that feels as good agents we work hard to ensure our clients are taken care of when we are working with them and there is no need to purchase a gift on possession.

I think anything from a bottle of wine to a gift card is a nice gesture.

bignerd
04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I certainly don't expect anything from a realtor. When we bought our house I think we got some gift certificates to the Keg, can't remember how much, maybe $150-ish.

When my friend bought his he got a basket with a blanket and some cleaning supplies in it and a bottle of wine I think.

brucebanner
04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Didn't get any gift but did get a thank you card. I did really like my realtor though and would use him again without hesitation.

max_boost
04-27-2013, 05:07 PM
I mean if you got sell Iggy's place for 4mill that be so sweet, a gift or two wouldn't hurt lol

project240
04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

crazy expensive cutting board. (800.00 value)

Picture?

JordanLotoski
04-28-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/john-mcleod-end-grain-board-with-well/?pkey=ccutting-boards&

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/michel-bras-santoku-knife/?pkey=cknives-michel-bras&

TomcoPDR
06-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I mean if you got sell Iggy's place for 4mill that be so sweet, a gift or two wouldn't hurt lol

Would probably be a pretty nice realtor house warming gift if he/she negotiated with your bank approving for a higher HELOC amount after buying a place like Iggy's.

dj_rice
06-20-2013, 06:44 AM
My realtor said I should be getting a cheque in the mail 2 weeks after closing for the cost of my home inspection. $400 value.

My co-worker will prolli get something as well since her referred her to me.

K3RMiTdot
06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
i got nothing when i bought mine.. probably because they were asian...

403ep3
06-20-2013, 08:24 AM
I've been hearing that some realtors pay for your home inspection and legal fees. Anyone had this done?

Mine didn't :dunno:

speedog
06-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Been a long. long time since I made any real estate purchase/sale but this all just smells oddly of more of that self entitlement stuff that keeps rearing it's ugly head, no?

sputnik
06-20-2013, 10:45 AM
My realtor gave me $1000 off his fees (friends and family rate).

G
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
All I got was this...thinking about text my realtor.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003650_591845597516047_794706942_n.jpg

403ep3
06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by G

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003650_591845597516047_794706942_n.jpg

:whipped:

mr5oh
06-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately, we used my wife's friend as our realtor.

Would NEVER do this again.
Over the course of 1 year, we did 3 properties, total of $1.3m

When we sold our last home, she was to exclude a few things from the purchase (garage furnace, $500 TV mounting panel..etc.) She *forgot* to remove them and her advice was "Well.. take them anyways and if they say something then you can give them back. My response was "No, because then they could argue that they want it professionally installed"

Long story short, I left it all there. received $0 credit, no gift..etc.
A few months earlier we purchased our current home. her gift was one of those worthless Ric's Grill giftcards that are more like coupons.

Sugarphreak
06-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Amysicle
06-25-2013, 09:17 PM
My realtor got us gift cards to Home Depot and Future Shop. Very handy with all the new purchases coming up.

BoostinAround
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
I think its funny how you guys spend ~$350,000 on average maybe and want something?

Do you get gifts from your lawyers? Dentists? Doctors? Etc. Etc.

If anything, you should be giving your realtor a gift!

I have bought over 30 properties personally and for investment and ask nothing more than for excellent service! Like, pick up your phone, send me comps, write offers etc.

In fact, because I give my realtors gifts and incentives, they usually call me first when a great deal is to be had!

I get it....it's a nice gesture to justify your large purchase. But if you get anything, you should be grateful and not "Expect" a huge gift from everyone.

89s1
07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by mr5oh
Unfortunately, we used my wife's friend as our realtor.

Would NEVER do this again.
Over the course of 1 year, we did 3 properties, total of $1.3m

When we sold our last home, she was to exclude a few things from the purchase (garage furnace, $500 TV mounting panel..etc.) She *forgot* to remove them and her advice was "Well.. take them anyways and if they say something then you can give them back. My response was "No, because then they could argue that they want it professionally installed"

Long story short, I left it all there. received $0 credit, no gift..etc.
A few months earlier we purchased our current home. her gift was one of those worthless Ric's Grill giftcards that are more like coupons.

I lost all my sympathy for you when you said she fucked you once, yet you still went back again for more.

Edit: When I bought my place the realtor handled the cost of the home inspection. He also sends us out a nice photographic calender every year.

JRSC00LUDE
07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by G

:rofl: I see what you did there!

If you expect a gift from your realtor, you suck.

GTi-RS
07-02-2013, 08:37 PM
My friend just received a wine and cheese pack from http://www.albertawinestein.com/

Probably best gift I've seen yet!

ColoDano
07-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I think our realtor gave us a gift basket when we bought, and we also brought him a bottle of scotch and some nice cigars and a cutter.

Of course he went above and beyond for us. When we bought there were issues with paperwork to secure the mortgage in time, so he bought the house cash, let us move in, and then sold it to us for the exact same price a month later when the paperwork was all finally done. Absolutely blew us away!

He also managed to get his preferred inspector to come home early from a fishing trip to do our inspection, and some other stuff. Also he did great at keeping touch after the sale, calling just to see how we liked the house, giving us updates on comparables in the area etc.

403ep3
07-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by BoostinAround
I think its funny how you guys spend ~$350,000 on average maybe and want something?

Do you get gifts from your lawyers? Dentists? Doctors? Etc. Etc.

If anything, you should be giving your realtor a gift!

I have bought over 30 properties personally and for investment and ask nothing more than for excellent service! Like, pick up your phone, send me comps, write offers etc.

In fact, because I give my realtors gifts and incentives, they usually call me first when a great deal is to be had!

I get it....it's a nice gesture to justify your large purchase. But if you get anything, you should be grateful and not "Expect" a huge gift from everyone.

LOL when do you spend upwards of 350k on your lawyer, dentist, and doctor? Your argument makes no sense at all. If a realtor is making 5k+ per purchase then I don't why the seller/buyer doesn't get a small gift.

95EG6P
07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3

LOL when do you spend upwards of 350k on your lawyer, dentist, and doctor? Your argument makes no sense at all. If a realtor is making 5k+ per purchase then I don't why the seller/buyer doesn't get a small gift.
:werd:

ercchry
07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
to be fair, my lawyer did buy me lunch at caesar's after i dropped $40k :rofl:

D. Dub
07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
In the last while it seems to me that the gift is less and less common -- in fact many realtors disappear like rats scurrying away with cheese when the deal closes.

BoostinAround
07-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

The realtor doesn't make $350,000 they make about 7K minus expenses such as deal fees, mls listing fees, advertising etc.

It's pretty easy to have a 5k legal bill and get nothing, or dental bill, or contracting bill from contractors.....the list can go on.

I'm just saying it seems to be the only profession where people expect it. It's a dumb entitled attitude.

max_boost
07-09-2013, 04:21 PM
It's like tipping. Most do and some don't.

Lisa573
11-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Housewarming gift baskets from GiftwithaBasket.com

killramos
11-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Got a couple hundred in FS Gift Cards to spend on my home theatre. Bought me a set of kickass surround speakers at 75% off!

But that's what you get for using Jordan!

I just need to get around to writing my review for him O.o. 6 months later... :facepalm:

It's coming lol my bad.

JordanLotoski
11-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Got a couple hundred in FS Gift Cards to spend on my home theatre. Bought me a set of kickass surround speakers at 75% off!

But that's what you get for using Jordan!

I just need to get around to writing my review for him O.o. 6 months later... :facepalm:

It's coming lol my bad.

Hopefully Gorby Hooked you up. He is now your FS guy for life and will always give you my pricing.

:thumbsup:

Lex350
11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
When I bought my last house my realator bought both my kids bed's.

Isaiah
11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

When I sold my condo and bought a house, my realtor gave us . . . a bottle of win . . .

I'd be satisfied with just the bottle of win. Was there a genie inside?

Xtrema
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Got a tray of household cleaning products and a giant gift box of random snacks.

n1zm0
11-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Lisa573
Housewarming gift baskets from GiftwithaBasket.com

no one noticed it was bumped by a French BOT? GO AWAY!

on-topic though I got $50 Home Depot card and $50 Swiss Chalet/Burger-King (must be the same owners or something)

rach
11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
GOT NOTHING FROM ONE OF THE REMAX AGENT, USED HIM FOR FEW DEALS, but he gave me % off from his commisions.
not sure if thats another way for gifts or not.?1!

403ep3
11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I got a set of silverware from costco lol. I think it was 20-30 bucks :zzz:

R!zz0
11-19-2013, 01:31 PM
$2,000 bucks (Half his commission)

Sugarphreak
11-19-2013, 01:39 PM

roopi
11-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by rach
GOT NOTHING FROM ONE OF THE REMAX AGENT, USED HIM FOR FEW DEALS, but he gave me % off from his commisions.

I'd rather have the discounted commission for sure. :thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
11-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by rach

I would rather have the cash in my pocket (discounted commissions) than some random gift. I would say you got the right "gift".

msommers
11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Good size gift cards to the wine and food markets in Casel. Plus a move out cleanup as the previous owners left a ton of shit they "thought I might use"....I'm sure they got a hefty bill as a "thank you" :D

95EG6P
01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I got $50 gift card to Boston pizza a bunch cleaning supplies a case of water bottles and a fleese throw blanket from my builder

skandalouz_08
01-07-2014, 10:33 AM
$250 GC to Urban Barn and my fridge stocked with my favorite beer. It helps that my realtor is one of my good friends.

cidley69
03-25-2014, 06:41 AM
I think gift should reflect level of effort. Now with the auto searches, google street view, etc the effort expended by realtor can be quite low.

If I look at 3-5 houses then buy one, that's pretty low effort money for them. What's commish on $650k?

I'd say a kickback is just good business. Should be open for discussion early in process.

Likely not popular with realtors though.

colinderksen
03-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Birdhouse and a turkey.

TomcoPDR
03-28-2014, 06:42 PM
A set of cutco roast knife and fork set.

codetrap
03-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Massage with a happy ending.

.. from my wife

TomcoPDR
03-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Massage with a happy ending.

From the realtor? :eek:

codetrap
03-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

From the realtor? :eek: lol

From the realtor... via my wife. :D

TomcoPDR
03-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
lol

From the realtor... via my wife. :D

Ahhhh that explains the new baby.

Type_S1
03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Realtors do next to no work...it's ridiculous the way they have rigged the system to allow a person with half a brain to earn the type of money they do. I honestly wouldn't hire a realtor unless he gives me a cut of the commission back. With the housing market the way it is in Calgary I could sell my own house without a realtor if the system wasn't rigged so I don't really think they should make 10,000 off me for 10-20 hours of work.

msommers
03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
You're required to have a realtor to sell, by law?

Homes are definitely selling themselves right now, it's a little nutbar how hot the market is.

sputnik
03-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Realtors do next to no work...it's ridiculous the way they have rigged the system to allow a person with half a brain to earn the type of money they do. I honestly wouldn't hire a realtor unless he gives me a cut of the commission back. With the housing market the way it is in Calgary I could sell my own house without a realtor if the system wasn't rigged so I don't really think they should make 10,000 off me for 10-20 hours of work.

No you CAN'T do that!

Haven't you seen the commercials?

Without a realtor you could be raided by SWAT teams. I know this is true because a realtor said so.

8WJpnUl-pUk

Sugarphreak
03-31-2014, 07:16 AM

jwslam
03-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
I don't really think they should make 10,000 off me for 10-20 hours of work.
That's how car salesmen make money :dunno:

The common one I see here is 7% on the first 100K and 3% on the rest. So on an average 500K home you are shelling out 19,000$ in commisions.
All the houses I saw being sold by "2% realty" looked like dumps? :dunno:

JordanLotoski
03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
^^ You guys have apparently all been dealing with the wrong realtors.

Sure there are times I will list a home that sells in days..maybe hours. But what you don't see is the daily grind of the ones that don't sell right away. Or the buyers that want to see 60-100 homes and then end up deciding not to buy..I get 0 for that... I work damn hard. I bet longer hours then most of you on this site. I ensure the best service for my buyers/sellers and have a great reputation in this city and on this site.

As a realtor I have no guarantee on what my monthly income will be. I wake up everyday unemployed and have to go work my ass off for it. I get no weekends with my family. I have next to no personal/social life and my marriage has been on the rocks a few times throughout my career. Its not an easy job!

I welcome any of you that think its easy to give it a try
http://www.creb.com/public/education-and-careers/steps-to-entry.php

Let me know how it goes:thumbsup:

Ohh and in regards to house warming gifts. I make sure my clients are first and foremost thrilled with the service I have given them.. (see testimonials) and the process goes very smooth. I do give a small house warming gift (gift card, wine, gift basket)

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2014, 10:30 AM

One of the underlying problems is that housing prices are exponentially higher and realtors havn't adjusted their commision rates to be more reasonable.

The common one I see here is 7% on the first 100K and 3% on the rest. So on an average 500K home you are shelling out 19,000$ in commisions.

It really is a stupid amount to pay for selling a home, it simply doesn't equal the effort that is put into it.

This has always been my thought as well. I could never wrap my head around Realtor commissions. $20K on a very average Calgary home is just mind boggling, and I would bet the vast majority of home sales do not require $20K++ of effort. In many cases, that will work out to over $1000/hr. Even if it took me 1-2 years to sell my house on my own, it would still be worth the savings in my mind. Especially when the market is so hot and you have a desirable property, shelling out that kind of cash for a sale seems crazy.

Do Realtors show clients private sale houses? I believe they have a fiduciary duty to act in the client's best interest (i.e. if their perfect home happens to be a private listing), however from their point of view, if they aren't going to make a commission, they may not bother. What happens if a client wants to look at a private listing?

Sugarphreak
03-31-2014, 10:58 AM

Disoblige
03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Well isn't it all relative? You could say the same for other jobs too. And if it was so easy and straightforward, why don't we all become realtors? lol

Why don't we all become professional poker players too? Sit on your ass and rake in the money!

jwslam
03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Do Realtors show clients private sale houses? I believe they have a fiduciary duty to act in the client's best interest (i.e. if their perfect home happens to be a private listing), however from their point of view, if they aren't going to make a commission, they may not bother. What happens if a client wants to look at a private listing?
I asked my realtor this question. He told me this happened:
-Buyer wanted to see for-sale-by-owner house
-He went to go talk to this owner about how he gets paid
-Owner says 'it's negotiable". After like a half hour, the owner finally explains: the closer he gets to listing, the more the realtor will get
-Realtor was straight up to seller and said he will not get involved with this house because conflict-of-interest.

cidley69
03-31-2014, 11:21 AM
I think reason many people are jaded to the disproportianate effort to wage disparity, is the fact they have the market cornered with no viable options.

I'm basically going to buy first place that meets my criteria, so the most skilled realtor in the world isn't adding much value for me. I'd be content using the internet for searches, and viewing through sellers realtor, if it saved me $10K in fees (for a few hours work, its just riduclous). But this is not even an option.

The situation is similiar to travel agents. I'm sure if you asked them a few years back, they'd go on and on how you could never accomplish the same tasks they do for you, etc.

How long is this cartel business model going to last?

ercchry
03-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
I think reason many people are jaded to the disproportianate effort to wage disparity, is the fact they have the market cornered with no viable options.

I'm basically going to buy first place that meets my criteria, so the most skilled realtor in the world isn't adding much value for me. I'd be content using the internet for searches, and viewing through sellers realtor, if it saved me $10K in fees (for a few hours work, its just riduclous). But this is not even an option.

The situation is similiar to travel agents. I'm sure if you asked them a few years back, they'd go on and on how you could never accomplish the same tasks they do for you, etc.

How long is this cartel business model going to last?

wut? as a buyer you are not paying a dime.... and a good experienced realtor can save you way more than $10k on the asking price...

Sugarphreak
03-31-2014, 11:53 AM

pheoxs
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM

Ok, even if you take your worst case client who actually goes out and sees 60 homes with you, if they buy an average home worth 500K you get a nice half of that 20K commission, notably with no MLS or advertising costs. Say you spend a hour at each place, you are still making 166$ an hour to walk around chatting with people inside a home and fill out some paper work.

On the flip side, if you have somebody who buys an upscale home and sees maybe just 15 or 20 homes.. your average hourly wage is anywhere from 600$ to 1200$ per hour.

Not picking on you specifically at all here, I am just saying that the effort realtors put in is really disproportionate to the wages they earn.

While that is true, neither of those situations costs the buyer a penny. The seller is paying all of that commission in order to get people looking at the house and hopefully a quick sale at a reasonable price

The seller has the option to list with say Comfree and do it themselves and save the cost, that is their choice.