PDA

View Full Version : Chain + sprocket install question

NCS05
04-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know how much most of the shops charge for labour for chain and sprocket install if i supplied the chain/sprocket myself? Or is is just better for me to buy the chain breaker and riveter tool and do it myself?

swak
04-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Most shop rates are about $60/hr.

So i'd assume around $20-30.
Easy to do yourself though.... $50 in tools would get you going!

RedlineMS
04-27-2013, 08:07 AM
To swap out chain and sprockets, it takes from 1 to 1.5 hours depending on how difficult the front sprocket is to get off. Kawi's are pretty tough sometimes. Shops rates vary from about $80 to $130 per hour. Riveting a chain is not hard but if you don't know what your doing you can easily screw it up and get the link on too tight - like I did the first time I did it. A decent chain breaker is about $100. The rest either don't work that good or are pretty much a one time use item as they bend.

MrSector9
04-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Depending on the km, you should also change the front out at the same time due to wear patterns that develop and will wear the new chain/sprocket at an accelerated time. If you are changing out the front as well then it doesn't matter.

Like redline says pretty easy to say it will be $200 by the time you pay labour/shop supplies/tax at most of the "dealers" and save a few bucks at some of the smaller shops.