PDA

View Full Version : bday gift - 5 y/o boy

jwslam
04-27-2013, 12:02 AM
I need a bday gift for a 5 y/o boy

Is buying this kid an iPad mini trying too hard to be a great uncle?

I just got cake the past few years and somebody took that away from me this year so I have to be materialistic in another manner.

What's on kid's hit lists nowadays?

D'z Nutz
04-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Lego.

Matter of fact, you by me some Lego and you'll be my favorite uncle.

Hallowed_point
04-27-2013, 12:24 AM
No techy stuff..period. Seriously, kids should be playing
with toys, real toys. Lego, Star Wars, GI Joe , Hot Wheels , w/e

amear
04-27-2013, 12:30 AM
get him an electric rc car!!

Hallowed_point
04-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Ok, I should amend that. R/C car is a great suggestion. It just kills
me to see kids nerding out on ipads etc :banghead:

D'z Nutz
04-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Yup, my opinion is the same as Hallowed_point's. If you're the type of adult that buys kids iPads or Xboxes or shit like that, you should be slapped.

I'm going to add a bike to the list.

Tej.S
04-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
It just kills me to see kids nerding out on ipads etc :banghead:

This. He'll have plenty of time to fidget around with electronics and gadgets later on. If he likes any sort of sport, get em a ball(soccer ball, basketball, football, etc). The weather is warming up, so it would be good timing too!

roll_over
04-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Something that makes him use his imagination, cops and robbers was always a popular game when I was young

FixedGear
04-27-2013, 01:05 AM
are you serious about the ipad mini?!!??!? only a major dbag would do that IMO. get the kid legos, like was mentioned above.

jwslam
04-27-2013, 01:38 AM
This damn kid isn't patient enough for lego lol.
We tried that last year and he told us to give it back to him once it was built.

I tried looking up a shaker's annual pass just now. 5 year olds don't meet the 40" height requirement for go-karts huh?

bleu
04-27-2013, 07:19 AM
I work with kids in this age group all day and Lego is huge for boys. They talk a lot about Skylanders, I haven't the slightest idea what that is. As D'z mentioned a bike is an awesome idea...perhaps rollerblades?

GTS4tw
04-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
We tried that last year and he told us to give it back to him once it was built.

I tried looking up a shaker's annual pass just now. 5 year olds don't meet the 40" height requirement for go-karts huh?

Brutal. I know kids like that too and it just reminds me that we are doomed. Not enough patience for Lego!!? What has the world come to.

bourge73
04-27-2013, 08:00 AM
R/C car or a airhogs heli? I would hate the
Uncle that made me look like a broke ass
Parent that got my 5 yr old an iPad

Seth1968
04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
cops and robbers was always a popular game when I was young

The gubberment says kids can't play that anymore.

Seriously.

ganesh
04-27-2013, 08:46 AM
I am going get flammed for saying this, I think iPad mini is a good idea provided that he is going to use it for the right reason. There are lot of educational games out there for kids.
Also RC Car and bike are good ideas. I will add a mechanichal set to that list, but if he is not into lego most likely he will not like mechanichal set.

03ozwhip
04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Drums....yep.

firebane
04-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Go to Chinook mall and go the Discovery Hut. If you can't find something there....

Graham_A_M
04-27-2013, 09:53 AM
^That or cross iron mills and go shopping. :dunno:

jwslam
04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Drums....yep.
HMM... maybe I can turn him into a youtube sensation like the "I'm Yours" kid and the ukelele

Graham_A_M
04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
^ His parents will likely despise you for getting him drums.

.. just saying. :dunno: Their very noisy, and there is far from anything close to a mute button. If you did get him drums, I'd suggest the electronic ones, since those make no noise really, and you can even use headphones, or a small amp for them.

spikerS
04-27-2013, 11:30 AM
a 5 year old girl.

codetrap
04-27-2013, 04:07 PM
We tried that last year and he told us to give it back to him once it was built. Get him nothing because of this.

rage2
04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I've bought various gifts for my nephews over the years, kid drums, lego, transformers, iPods, rc cars and helicopters, pretty much every toy shown on commercials. The most successful ones are iPods, and a gym mat haha.

Call me a dbag, but I have no issues with an iPod as a gift. Most kids play with their parents iPhones and Androids anyways, and it's incredible how so many 5 year old knows their way around these devices. If anything, keeping them away from technology will keep them a step back growing up.

Kids should play with real toys like bikes and soccer balls, and do other non video game/tech activities, but there should be a healthy mix of both, which the parents are responsible for. I'll let Modelexis chime in on his thoughts from here... :D

As for drums, guitars and such, it's not so easy trying to teach a 5 year old how to play a musical instrument. I've tried haha, it's tough to present it as fun when it takes months of struggle to even get started, so it'll just sit around wasting space.

abyss
04-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Actually, this is a great gift. I love it when people get us passes to do stuff! My 4.5 year old who is TINY (like 30th percentile for height) is 40.5" tall, most 5 year olds are much taller than that.

rookie101
04-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Family pass for the zoo.

jwslam
04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by abyss
{shakers annual pass}

Actually, this is a great gift. I love it when people get us passes to do stuff! My 4.5 year old who is TINY (like 30th percentile for height) is 40.5" tall, most 5 year olds are much taller than that.
Hmm Guess I have no clue how tall 40" is because it's not metric LOLOL. It made a lot of sense to me though since they live in Cranston. Maybe it'll be on next year's list or an add-on for this year.

But seriously, I picked this up today
http://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-11383493dt.jpg
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12222741
It says 8+ but the thing is advertised as "indestructible" with the crash cage... and with the two story ceilings in their house, this uncle will have fun for a few hours even if he doesn't.

Also picked up this
http://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-14647362dt.jpg
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=17293236

Also, with rage's approval, iPad is now on list for next year's bday or xmas.

rage2
04-27-2013, 07:14 PM
haha my approval isn't important, you should get the approval of the parents of the kid that you're buying for. Last thing you want to do is to buy an iPad for a kid who's parents are anti-technology.

jwslam
04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
hahaha if anything I think they'd appreciate that they don't have to fight the kid for their ipad.

this is a kid that went into an app and bought $400 worth of i don't know what in iphone apps (or in app purchase, i don't know). when dad cut it off, he says "daddy, don't work no more". (back before age 3)

Hallowed_point
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Get him nothing because of this.

LOL!! x2 "listen you little sh*t get building , or else!!" :rofl:

jwslam
04-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
"listen you little sh*t get building , or else!"
HEY! I'd never talk to him like that. I love this kid to pieces. (which he wouldn't put back together)

SJW
04-28-2013, 07:00 AM
You want to be a great uncle, get him a toy that you and him can go play with.

A) it gives the parents time to relax for a few hours
B) he'll LOVE you for spending time with him

My kid brags about how great his uncle Kelly is after a day spent with him.

The toy isn't important. 1 on 1 time is.

codetrap
04-28-2013, 09:21 AM

HEY! I'd never talk to him like that. I love this kid to pieces. (which he wouldn't put back together) Hahahaha... That is funny. :)

SJW has the right idea. My daughter would FAR rather go swimming or biking with me than play on the iPad, or play with her Polly Pockets by herself. She's constantly bugging me to go biking with her, at the very least to go outside and watch her on her bike.

It's completely about the time and memories you build together, not about the stuff. If you want to totally be the best uncle ever, rent a quad, and take him out for an afternoon of some easy-going quadding in maclean. I did that with Cassie and she talks about it a year later. Ask her what she's going to dream about? Camping with you Daddy, it was SO much fun! That was a year ago too.

GTS4tw
04-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Hahahaha... That is funny. :)

SJW has the right idea. My daughter would FAR rather go swimming or biking with me than play on the iPad, or play with her Polly Pockets by herself. She's constantly bugging me to go biking with her, at the very least to go outside and watch her on her bike.

It's completely about the time and memories you build together, not about the stuff. If you want to totally be the best uncle ever, rent a quad, and take him out for an afternoon of some easy-going quadding in maclean. I did that with Cassie and she talks about it a year later. Ask her what she's going to dream about? Camping with you Daddy, it was SO much fun! That was a year ago too.

Best post in this thread.

Myrrinda
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
You should not buy the kid an iPad without the consent of his parents. I would kill the person that bought my kid something like that. Buy him a book.

jwslam
04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
This is a given. Hence I was thinking shakers.
Now I'm just tacking on a Telus Spark pass.

This uncle can't take care of himself on a camping trip, let alone a 5 year old.

Kritafo
04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
my son loved anything remote control so good choice. I would have bought that or a Calaway pass, you could have taken him a few days over the summer.

RjKaz
04-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Hmm Guess I have no clue how tall 40" is because it's not metric LOLOL. It made a lot of sense to me though since they live in Cranston. Maybe it'll be on next year's list or an add-on for this year.

It says 8+ but the thing is advertised as "indestructible" with the crash cage... and with the two story ceilings in their house, this uncle will have fun for a few hours even if he doesn't. ...xmas.[/i] [/B]

Cool helicopter. I bought my lil guy one and we fly it together. If the blades just barely touch anything its out of control, so this one looks awesome bc of the cage over the blades. I'm guessing he's going to be thrilled.
Btw, don't see an issue w the iPad if parents approve. If that's all the kid does, then maybe not good, but if it's balanced, why not? My little guy colors with crayons at home, runs around, ... but when we go out, or winding down, he's on my iPad - coloring, matching, or reasoning through a game on how to get water to an alligator - educational stuff mostly...

spike98
04-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by SJW
You want to be a great uncle, get him a toy that you and him can go play with.

A) it gives the parents time to relax for a few hours
B) he'll LOVE you for spending time with him

My kid brags about how great his uncle Kelly is after a day spent with him.

The toy isn't important. 1 on 1 time is.

This!

I got my little guy (for his 5th birthday) a model rocket. I know 5 is kind of young for this but we had a blast putting it together, painting it, and lunching it. His eyes almost exploded out of his head when the motor lit and it launched 500ft or so in the air. We took all his cousins out too when we launched it. Turned out to be a great family event.

When its not in use, it hangs from the ceiling in his room., as part of a "space" scene. We took glowing star stickers and mini planets and put them on his ceiling too.

Now space/planets/stars and how they work and are made is a huge interest for him. It was also a segway into talking to him about how we are here and where we came from.

sputnik
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Lego.

Matter of fact, you by me some Lego and you'll be my favorite uncle.

:werd:

People who buy my son Lego are his (and my) favorite people.

Xtrema
04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Lego. Can't go wrong.

clem24
04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Lego's awesome but depends on the kid. Most of the City stuff STARTS at age 5, while some are 7. My 5 year old really struggles with it. He can mostly follow the instructions but not very well, and he gets disinterested. His last 2 sets I basically built for him because he just couldn't follow the instructions. Maybe more fun to buy a few sets, combine them and let him use his own imagination.

Not sure I'd buy an iPad for them. There's a difference between borrowing mom and dad's iPad vs. having their own. I severely limit his time on it. I truly do NOT believe your kid will be disadvantaged whatsoever, since both computers/iPads/iPods are now used in KINDERGARTEN. Kids should be outside playing with friends or real toys, and even then, toys don't really have lasting effect - i.e. my kid will play outside for HOURS on end, whereas a bunch of toy cars might last 20 minutes.

So get him a bike, maybe even a Power Wheels (and then mod it) if you want to be really cool...

Xtrema
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Lego's awesome but depends on the kid.

I guess so. My first set is @ 5yr old. Still remembers it. It's a moon landing set. But Lego was simpler back then.

blitz
04-30-2013, 10:37 AM
My 2 year old can operate an iPad and fucking loves it, but we only let him use one on planes or at restaurants. I feel it's up to the parents to regulate how much that sort of thing is used so if you want to go that route, ask the parents first.

My vote is for Lego.

Melinda
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
The science center pass is a FANTASTIC gift, that place is the shit.

Lego is a hit around here too. With my 4 year old son and D'zNutz, aka Uncle Derrick
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Syryda/image-1.jpg

jwslam
04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
The science center pass is a FANTASTIC gift, that place is the shit.
Yea I only volunteered there once since it opened and didn't even get a chance to see the place. This uncle is a selfish bastard for wanting to take him there =)

Tej.S
04-30-2013, 09:47 PM
I think the reason we all love lego so much is because we grew up around it a lot more(or at least I did). I know when I was in kindergarten and grade 1&2, they had us construct a whole bunch of stuff with lego all the time which kept me interested in it.

jwslam
05-05-2013, 12:26 PM

It says 8+ but the thing is advertised as "indestructible" with the crash cage... and with the two story ceilings in their house, this uncle will have fun for a few hours even if he doesn't.

Also picked up this
http://trusca.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRUCA1-14647362dt.jpg
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=17293236

Also, with rage's approval, iPad is now on list for next year's bday or xmas.

In case someone digs up this thread later and thinks these are great ideas:
The helicopter is impossible to direct. It just spins in circles and I can't figure out how to stop it even following the instructions to "calibrate" it. Also the battery takes about a half hour to charge and lasts about 3 minutes of play.

Same battery issue with the vectron.

They're both going back to toysRus.

clem24
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM

In case someone digs up this thread later and thinks these are great ideas:
The helicopter is impossible to direct. It just spins in circles and I can't figure out how to stop it even following the instructions to "calibrate" it. Also the battery takes about a half hour to charge and lasts about 3 minutes of play.

Same battery issue with the vectron.

They're both going back to toysRus.

Sounds like you got a defective one... Did you just buy a Havoc Heli? Those do nothing except go up and spin around (though controllably - again sounds like yours was defective). The get motion, you have to add some weight to the front (like a tack) but then it would constantly move forward.

Anyway R/C copter is WAAAAAAY too advanced for a 5 year old anyway. Maybe start with an R/C Lightning McQueen or something but then even those by Air Hogs have really shitty range.

codetrap
05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
^Really? I taught my daughter when she was 3 years old to fly the little indoor ones. It didn't take her more than a couple of crashes to figure it out. At (almost 5) she does a pretty good job with them.

jwslam
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
It's not defective I don't think. I spent an hour playing with the "Trim" button and it still just spins.

Did my research and turns out this one doesn't have a gyroscope so I got one that does. The "replay" i now got also has A grade reviews on rctoyreviews. I haven't had time to bring it to him and to try it yet though.

clem24
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
It's not defective I don't think. I spent an hour playing with the "Trim" button and it still just spins.

Did my research and turns out this one doesn't have a gyroscope so I got one that does. The "replay" i now got also has A grade reviews on rctoyreviews. I haven't had time to bring it to him and to try it yet though.

It's defective.. From what I know about toy grade helis, the 'gyroscope' is simply the the weighed bar at the top of the blades that work to stabilize the heli; it's not some magical piece of electronics. You can see it working by holding the heli in your hand, apply throttle, and then tilting the chopper and watching that bar change it's pitch to try to stable it.

On your Replay heli (vs. what I assume is a Havoc heli that you originally got) you can see the 'gyroscope' (not to be confused with a real heli gyro) through the 2 weights on top. Unlike the Havoc, the Replay doesn't use a single rotor and tail stabilizer, but uses 2 counter rotating blades for stability, while the tail rotor mounts horizontally and is only used to control forward and backward momentum. With the 2 sets of counter rotating blades, you don't have the spin problem, and all the heli wants to do is hover.

The Havoc on the other hand, has a single rotor and uses a real gyro controlling the tail rotor for stability. With only 1 main rotor, the heli wants to spin but the tail rotor counteracts this force by pushing the heli in the opposite direction. What's likely happening is that the tail rotor is not spinning correctly in relation to the main rotor and thus causing it to spin uncontrollably. Could be either a defective gyro or defective tail rotor motor (likely the latter - I've had one like that and had to take it back to the store).

You're confusing a bunch of terms.. You can now see why the Replay would need a 'gyroscope' while the Havoc doesn't, but my point being, that the gyroscope on the Replay has nothing to do with why the Havoc would spin.