PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Aerator in the SW

C_Dave45
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
It's Spring Clean up at my house this weekend. Starting with the lawn today.
Does anyone know of someone who is same-day or next-day availability for lawn aeration in the Canyon Meadows area? Looking for those guys who like to just walk down the block offering to aerate the lawn for a cash deal.

AndyL
04-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Cat rentals - think it was 50$ for 24hrs last time I rented one... But since they're closed sunday, you'll have it until monday...

JMO :)

C_Dave45
04-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Yeah I thought of that. But that entails going down, picking up machine, doing it myself after fighting with getting it started, then clean it up, load back into van, back down to rental shop....WHEW, tired already! Lol
For about another $15 I can have it done for me while I try to get all the other chores that need doing.
Fertilize, gutters, power wash patio and garage floor, clean up dog run....

AndyL
04-27-2013, 09:35 AM
There is that... But there's also the get what ya pay for scenario :)

Last time I got the local 'walking down the street' aeration - I ended up having to redo it - because he didn't have weights in the machine... Rented one, was pulling 2" plugs, not just a 1/4" of thatch...

frozenrice
04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm looking for a recommendation too. I'd like to find somone that has a aerating and power raking package and will come out to the west end of town.

Nufy
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Property Stars were canvassing my neighborhood (Deer Ridge) last week.

A little pricy at 70 + GST but he was in and done in about 10 minutes.

Now I have a whole pile of goose poop to pick up.

revelations
04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
If your lawn isnt huge, you can buy a manual aerator from HD for 25$. I did both front and back yard in a couple of hours - spread over a few days. Good workout, but use gloves as I have blisters still ... :nut:

C_Dave45
04-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
Property Stars were canvassing my neighborhood (Deer Ridge) last week.

A little pricy at 70 + GST but he was in and done in about 10 minutes.

Now I have a whole pile of goose poop to pick up.

Don't pick them up. They're designed to stay on the lawn and they will eventually just dissolve back into the thatch. Raking in some coarse sand over the lawn after it's been aerated is a good idea too.

Originally posted by revelations
If your lawn isnt huge, you can buy a manual aerator from HD for 25$. I did both front and back yard in a couple of hours - spread over a few days. Good workout, but use gloves as I have blisters still ... :nut:

A COUPLE OF HOURS?!!!! Ugh...too much work again! Work that hard just to save myself $35-40? No thanks.

:rofl:

revelations
04-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
A COUPLE OF HOURS?!!!! Ugh...too much work again! Work that hard just to save myself $35-40? No thanks.

:rofl:

Just do 1/4 area at a time ... spread the work ;)

lilmira
04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Haha I do that manually too. I see it as a workout, I sit on my ass way too much, why not do some manual labour? People pay to go to a gym lifting deadweight, I do this to make my lawn healthier. ;)

It would take me a few days to do the front and back.

C_Dave45
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Haha I do that manually too. I see it as a workout, I sit on my ass way too much, why not do some manual labour? People pay to go to a gym lifting deadweight, I do this to make my lawn healthier. ;)

It would take me a few days to do the front and back.

Yeah, I haul on average 1,000 lbs of tile and concrete on my shoulders into my jobs every day.... on the weekend I want to sit on the lawn chair with a cold Corona and tell the lawn guy..."you missed a spot".

lilmira
04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
haha, what goes around...

C_Dave45
05-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Shout out to HomeSpunLobster!!! Helping a fellow beyonder out. He pm'd me, offered me a great deal and before I even arranged a time for him to come, he showed up out of the blue and aerated my whole front, side and back lawn! Had 'er done in 20 minurtes.
Awesome deal!
Thanks, man!!!

:clap:

ExtraSlow
05-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Lobster man, you work in the North? I'm in Mount Pleasant, and I want you to give me a shout.

lilmira
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Just did my front in an hour, cha-ching! I'm richer than I think but poorer than I want. :D

GOnSHO
05-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Canadian Property stars did mine 2 days ago, cost me $50, started and gone in like then 20 mins! Nice thick and long chunks too!!

bourge73
05-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I need my front and back done too.
Coventry hills ? Homespun?

Perfect Dark
05-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by bourge73

Same here, Panorama Hills!

C_Dave45
05-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by bourge73

Originally posted by Perfect Dark

Same here, Panorama Hills!

Hahaha....Homespun and I were just talking about how many beyonders are way up north. He told me how driving an hour and a half return isn't worth a 20 minute job. I'm pretty sure he likes to stick south of Anderson. As he lives even further south than me.
My sister lives in Panorama...she got a guy just going door-to-door. He did hers and 5 other neighbours in about an hour. $65 a pop. Not a bad gig for an hour's work.

spacerz
05-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I do aerating and power raking - $60/lawn w/ 10% going to the Calgary Children's Hospital!

static.b
05-04-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm in Panorama too. PM me if your in the area.

natty54
05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Im in arbour lake. Looking for the power rake, aeration, ect. Please pm me thanks!

Kjonus
05-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Did any of you guys in the north find someone to aerate your lawn? I'm in Evanston and looking

Kavy
05-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I live in the SE and im also looking for this to be done. If anyone has a contact number send it my way.

nzwasp
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Mine was also done by property stars on Friday afternoon. I think it cost me $85 for the front and back lawns and outside my fence (live on a corner lot). Am i supposed to pick up the soil plugs now or let them be?

lilmira
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
It's just soil, it will go back into the ground eventually. Or you go pick them up and throw them at random people.

HomespunLobster
05-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Did a yard the other day. Kid asked what they were. We joked and called them "little poopies" (He was 6 or so). He just yelled ew and ran away

sabad66
05-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by spacerz
I do aerating and power raking - $60/lawn w/ 10% going to the Calgary Children's Hospital!

spacerz just finished a power rake + aerate for me in the north in Huntington Hills.

Good guy, and a great job. Would definitely recommend you give him a call if you need this done. Especially with a portion of proceeds going to charity. Thx again! :thumbsup:

bourge73
05-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Property stars just showed up outta the blue
And did my front and back yard for 52.50 score.
Mofo looked so exhausted I had to offer him
Water while I drank a fresh beer.

spacerz
05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Thank you for the kind comment, Dori.

As a side note, we are in the process of becoming a new Beyond.ca sponsor! Hopefully everything should be ready to go by next week!

R-Audi
05-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Not knowing much about the whole process... whats the benefit to having this all done?

ExtraSlow
05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Too much thatch can prevent air and water getting to the soil and roots effectively. I'm a believier that healthy grass doesn't make much thatch, so some lawns may not benefit. Aeration is the same thing, removes plugs of soil to prevent the ground from becoming too compacted. Also depending on what your soil is like, after you aerate, you can top-dress with mulch/soil/sand/seed/fertilizer or whatever you think you need. At my place, I'm planning to top dress with sand and seed only, as the soil is pretty dense, and I'm trying to get more fescue to grow instead of bluegrass.

TLDR, the roots need air and water, and these things help.

frozenrice
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Good guy, and a great job. Would definitely recommend you give him a call if you need this done. Especially with a portion of proceeds going to charity. Thx again! :thumbsup:

Ditto.... Spacerz came out and did my yard in Signal Hill today. :thumbsup:

78si
05-10-2013, 10:25 PM

$60 for any size lawn? :D

ExtraSlow
05-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Spacerz was just at my place, and man that's one hard working dude. The aerator is a heavy beast, but he man-handled it into every corner of my yard.

Thanks bud!

Qeno
05-15-2013, 08:22 PM
I need a power rack and an aerate jobs done too. Ranchlands NW. Please, pm.
Thanks

rojhero
05-17-2013, 02:50 PM

Pm'd.

mr2mike
05-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Spacerz came out and aerated and power raked my lawn on Friday. Great service into a long weekend and the results were great.
He has increased his rate but still a deal and why not pay a beyonder over someone else on Kijiji... Thanks.

KLCC
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Spacerz came out and aerated and power raked my lawn on Friday. Great service into a long weekend and the results were great.
He has increased his rate but still a deal and why not pay a beyonder over someone else on Kijiji... Thanks.

Ditto!!! Had him over by my house this weekend, and he did a pretty good and consistent job. Would love to have him over as well.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: