PDA

View Full Version : Sprinklers - time to turn on?

nzwasp
04-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Is it time to turn my sprinkler back on and enable outdoor taps again?

lilmira
04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Just did mine today. I don't see any subzero temperature in the forecast.

Unknown303
04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Mine are on.

BokCh0y
04-27-2013, 09:36 PM
got mine going today as well. Also power raked the lawn too :D

Seth1968
04-28-2013, 07:48 AM
I was going to post a similar thread in regards to watering some really dried out evergreen bushes.

Today, the forecast is calling for 0 to minus 5 for lows almost all of next week.

Safe to water?

speedog
04-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Number one - install some frost-free outside taps.

Number two - if you're going to water, then just make sure you drain out your hoses just to extend their life. Better yet, go get some of those big, old ugly real black rubber hoses - they'll survive pretty much anything.

Third - put in plants that can handle Calgary's extremes - my 55+ year old lot has evergreens that never need watering and they look quite fine. To many people are plating stuff that just can't properly handle Calgary's climate and then wonder why it's not surviving or thriving. Those westerly winds are the kiss of death for so many of the plants that inexperienced gardeners try to grow in Calgary. Never the less, water if you need to but also be aware that there could still be a fair amount of frost down still which could prevent that water from getting where it needs to be.

schocker
04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Just did mine today. I don't see any subzero temperature in the forecast.
http://i.imgur.com/SPOhhwd.jpg
Looks like we have two days still!

bigbadboss101
04-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Power or manually rake, put on fertilizer, spread some grass seed first? May be after this week I will put on hoses back on. A little bit of precipitation M and Tuesday.

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have a contact for a good underground sprinkler guy? Or does anyone here on beyond work in that field?

My parents have a huge back yard that's changed a lot over the years, and they need some of their in-ground sprinklers redone to accommodate some new landscape changes.

Thanks!

Tik-Tok
04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
SOAB!

-5 tonight and tomorrow night. I turned my sprinklers on yesterday so I could mark the head locations before my yard spring clean up guy came. I'm going to have to blow out the lines as soon as I get home tonight.

lilmira
04-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by schocker

http://i.imgur.com/SPOhhwd.jpg
Looks like we have two days still!

You ruined it! :nut:

schocker
04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
You ruined it! :nut:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lryc0cmE8V1qbt8o1.jpg

88CRX
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Is it a big deal to drain the hose & bibs when it's only going to be cold for one or two nights?

ExtraSlow
04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
For all you people with automatic sprinklers, please set them to run in the morning, not the afternoon or evening. Better for the grass, and you loose less to evaporation.

Tik-Tok
04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
For all you people with automatic sprinklers, please set them to run in the morning, not the afternoon or evening. Better for the grass, and you loose less to evaporation.

Isn't that common sense? What I hate is when I see commercial sprinklers (business's, playing fields, etc.) on during a rain fall :nut:

suntan
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Number one - install some frost-free outside taps.

Number two - if you're going to water, then just make sure you drain out your hoses just to extend their life. Better yet, go get some of those big, old ugly real black rubber hoses - they'll survive pretty much anything.

Third - put in plants that can handle Calgary's extremes - my 55+ year old lot has evergreens that never need watering and they look quite fine. To many people are plating stuff that just can't properly handle Calgary's climate and then wonder why it's not surviving or thriving. Those westerly winds are the kiss of death for so many of the plants that inexperienced gardeners try to grow in Calgary. Never the less, water if you need to but also be aware that there could still be a fair amount of frost down still which could prevent that water from getting where it needs to be. Mature trees (> ~5 years) don't need additional watering. Their root systems are far reaching.