PDA

View Full Version : Need a good laptop reccomendation

Vmack
04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm in the market for a new laptop. Used to have a macbook, it shit the bed after 4 years. I have since learned to hate apple and would like to not get a macbook. I had bought a cheap sony vaio last year, good, but very flawed. screen brightness constantly doesn't work, super slow and loud at times, and track pad is inconsistent. I'm good with computers, but don't know what to look for in one when buying.
So I'm hoping to get something new, here are the guidelines (flexible if its worth it).

$600-700 (still gonna be a student so I wanna keep it affordable)
Light/compact - doesn't need CD drive
at least a 13" screen
i5 processor?
6gb+ ram
500gb HD

I don't do any gaming of any sort. Its literally just browsing the net, writing papers and doing homework, occasionally streaming sports games, but I want something capable.

revelations
04-27-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15r-5521/pd

But even that is overkill for homework, YT and browsing.

Vmack
04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
well that looks pretty decent. and yeah i'm sure that what i'm looking at is going to be overkill for what I'm using it for. I just want something thats not gonna be crap should I need the extra power. I'm planning to go into Medical Imaging so I may need the extra power for programs and whatnot

I also came across this on best buy
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-s-series-s56ca-15-6-ultrabook-black-intel-core-i5-3317u-24gb-ssd-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-windows-8-s56ca-bh51-cb/10227301.aspx?path=2d36bf3e5c28376d1c2a12528ec5dbe5en02&SearchPageIndex=1

revelations
04-27-2013, 12:01 PM
That ASUS is pretty nice, and a lot faster startup with SSD.

Maxx Mazda
04-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I bought a Lenovo G780. Lenovo's build quality is head an shoulders above the competition. They use real solid plastics and aluminum, when ASUS and HP use flimsy cheap shit. Compare the two side by side and you'll see what I mean.

Vmack
04-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
I bought a Lenovo G780. Lenovo's build quality is head an shoulders above the competition. They use real solid plastics and aluminum, when ASUS and HP use flimsy cheap shit. Compare the two side by side and you'll see what I mean.

yeah thats a good point. that laptop looks solid with the exception that its a 17" screen. Thats just huge for situations where I need to take it to school or something

Maxx Mazda
04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Vmack

yeah thats a good point. that laptop looks solid with the exception that its a 17" screen. Thats just huge for situations where I need to take it to school or something

That's what I thought. Trust me I had my heart set on a 15.4" laptop and NOTHING was going to change my mind. Went to the store and actually typed a bunch of shit on it, and the extra size made a HUGE difference. It wasn't crowded, and as for carrying it around you really don't notice. Take my word for it, the Lenovo is probably one of the smallest 17" laptops.

Vmack
04-27-2013, 09:18 PM
yeah i'll go by best buy tomorrow to see if they have the size for it, at least just to see. its on sale right now for a decent price on their website, or their g580 (15.6") is a good price too right now.

thanks bud!

Maxx Mazda
04-27-2013, 09:28 PM
I got mine at Costco for less than $500 otd

FiveFreshFish
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Take notice if you're a touch typist. Many new keyboards have rearranged some keys on the keyboard and now the Return/Enter key is one key farther away from your right pinkie.

I'm so used to the traditional position of Return/Enter key that I had issues typing fast on borrowed Toshiba with the new keyboard setup.

Here's a traditional Return/Enter key setup.
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data/910/medium/lenovo_thinkpad_edge_keyboard.png

This is a new Return/Enter key setup. Sure, it's just as large by spilling into the row above but that doesn't bring it any closer.
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00NCSEOnDlQPqF/Laptop-Keyboard-for-Dell-2200.jpg

Also very important to try out the pointing device to see how you like it.

Sdeibert
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Take notice if you're a touch typist. Many new keyboards have rearranged some keys on the keyboard and now the Return/Enter key is one key farther away from your right pinkie.

I'm so used to the traditional position of Return/Enter key that I had issues typing fast on borrowed Toshiba with the new keyboard setup.

Also very important to try out the pointing device to see how you like it.

:werd:

I searched for days to find a laptop without the new layout.. Bought the Asus 18.4 inch. It's my hybrid desktop/laptop, the iPad is the travel device.

The Lenovo is good if you are hard on things. We use them at work and they stand up good to the abuse some guys put them through, I'm exceptionally careful with my gear and the Asus has stood up well.

spikerS
04-29-2013, 07:34 AM
I am going to suggest staying away from Asus as this laptop I got from them has been shit.

And don't get a new laptop running Windows 8 (Metro). most fucking annoying OS ever.