PDA

View Full Version : New Brighton Area Lots

thextinct
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey guys,
I was looking at the New Brighton area and really liked couple of lots from a builder. The area looked good as well as all the amenities were near.
One of my buddies told me that because of the dump yard being so close, people can sometimes notice the smell in the area because of which the value of the homes is not as much as it should be. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your input.

roll_over
04-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Summer time it stinks like trash

thextinct
04-27-2013, 11:30 PM
^ Damn it! I was really hoping for it to be a false alarm. I really loved the lot and was going to put a downpayment soon to lock in the lot. Anyone else with similar experience?

Unknown303
04-27-2013, 11:32 PM
I have family that lives back there and I definitely notice it during the summer.

Dave P
04-27-2013, 11:41 PM
I live here, I don't think it's as bad as people say. Once and a while you do, but once in a while every area stinks

EmJay
04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
I live here, I don't think it's as bad as people say. Once and a while you do, but once in a while every area stinks

Agreed, I haven't experienced any smell issues and I've been living in the area for many years. I have a few friends that live in the area as well and we aren't too far from 130th and 52nd and I haven't heard anybody complain either.

It's a pretty nice community, if you're thinking about buying in the area why not pop in at random times on weekends and grab some lunch or coffee at one of the shops at 130th and hang around outside and see if you notice anything.

JordanLotoski
04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Spend the extra money and look in Cranston/Auburn Bay

You'll have a way better return down the road with the proximity to the new Hospital.

Zan
04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
My brother lives in the community. He says the smell is there. Not always but that's enough to put me off from buying in the neighborhood. I do think people get used to the odor of their surroundings/homes. Think similar to walking into a person's home for the first time and smelling something off yet they are so used to it they don't notice it anymore. Spend a couple of hours there and you hardly notice anything.

superflychief
04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
From what I've heard, the city is planning to reclaim the dump in the next few yrs so the smell should be a thing of the past.

ercchry
04-28-2013, 10:11 PM
i guess it would depends on where you are in the area?

we never had issues. we use to be able to hear the bikes race around the track though... but thats not an issue now :(

NB is a good 10-15min closer to the city during rush hour that cranston, also walking distance to 130th and high street, cranston also will be the LARGEST community in calgary once complete... with 1.5 entrance/exits (yup, the north one will be a 0.5 once the ring road is done)

roll_over
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
with 1.5 entrance/exits (yup, the north one will be a 0.5 once the ring road is done)

wont there be an entrance in the river stone section of canston

Redlined_8000
04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

You'll have a way better return down the road with the proximity to the new Hospital.

Thanks for advice!

Jeeper1986
04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

my home estimate was 90k over what I paid for it lol and the area around my house theres room for more homes to come up yet

roopi
04-29-2013, 09:17 AM
cranston also will be the LARGEST community in calgary once complete... with 1.5 entrance/exits (yup, the north one will be a 0.5 once the ring road is done)

Why are you sayin the north entrance/exit will be 0.5? From looking at the drawings it clearly shows that you can enter and exit Cranston from 22x.

Originally posted by roll_over

wont there be an entrance in the river stone section of canston

All the community proposals I have seen do show a 3rd enterance/exit for Cranston south of Seton.

ercchry
04-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Why are you sayin the north entrance/exit will be 0.5? From looking at the drawings it clearly shows that you can enter and exit Cranston from 22x.

All the community proposals I have seen do show a 3rd enterance/exit for Cranston south of Seton.

we've been over this... north and west only... no south or east

page 12

http://www.sestproject.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/SEST-Presentation-Board-06-2011.pdf

no idea about a deep south exit... but that sure as shit isnt helping anyone up near the mac's and has not even broke ground yet.

88CRX
04-29-2013, 10:08 AM
The entrance by Mac's/Sobeys isn't bad now that the set of lights are in :dunno:

stevelou
04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
We've lived there for almost a year, and maybe smelt the Dump/storm pond a handful of times. I find the community is well rounded for walking around, as well as was said earlier about the accessibility to 130th and Mackenzie Towne is awesome. We lived in Auburn Bay for a year and if the wind was going the right direction you could still smell it. I found living out there that you had to drive to get anything. Although they are starting to build stores now.

Just my two cents

ercchry
04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
The entrance by Mac's/Sobeys isn't bad now that the set of lights are in :dunno:

you realize that those two businesses are on opposite sides of the community, right? :confused:

88CRX
04-29-2013, 10:45 AM

you realize that those two businesses are on opposite sides of the community, right? :confused:

Isn't it a Mac's at the gas station right by sobeys.... maybe not hah.

But yea I wouldn't want to be in the far north end of Cranston once the new interchange is completed. Really sucks for Western Pizza and everything else in that strip mall.

roopi
04-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Isn't it a Mac's at the gas station right by sobeys.... maybe not hah.

But yea I wouldn't want to be in the far north end of Cranston once the new interchange is completed. Really sucks for Western Pizza and everything else in that strip mall.

Mac's is next to Western Pizza. Petro Canada is next to Sobeys.

sputnik
04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by stevelou
We've lived there for almost a year, and maybe smelt the Dump/storm pond a handful of times

Its not the dump or the storm ponds you smell. Storm ponds dont stink, and the dump is generally covered with clay (except for the small active portion.

It is the sludge (poop) ponds that you are smelling, they stink when they aerate them. Unfortunately it will be a LONG time before they go away.

http://goo.gl/maps/p5rEz

89s1
04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
I work in the same area and would never buy property within smelling distance of those tailing ponds. even one day a year would be too much.

ercchry
04-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I work in the same area and would never buy property within smelling distance of those tailing ponds. even one day a year would be too much.

its amazing how many people ARE willing to though... sold our place in two weeks. people on the same street are paying almost double what our mortgage was for rent too :nut:

89s1
04-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Different strokes I guess. The smell is thick on a hot day, to me Its almost gag worthy

ercchry
04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
yeah, i could never smell it... driving to race city? yup... on our street? nope

4doorj
04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't ever remember smelling it. I have lived here for 7 years. Maybe cause i live further away from it??? not sure.

But I would want to build in mahogany. Their lake is going to be sweet!!!!
I hate paying our community fees because even with kids I never use the new brighton place.
Auburn bay community lake house is awesome. But so far from 130th. I love how everything is soooo close to new brighton.

hurrdurr
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
My last condo faced 52nd and was right by 130th.

The smell was never really distinct enough for me to complain after 4 years there.

YMMV

Ntense_SpecV
04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
I don't ever remember smelling it. I have lived here for 7 years. Maybe cause i live further away from it??? not sure.

But I would want to build in mahogany. Their lake is going to be sweet!!!!
I hate paying our community fees because even with kids I never use the new brighton place.
Auburn bay community lake house is awesome. But so far from 130th. I love how everything is soooo close to new brighton.

My wife and I took a drive down to Mahogany just to checkout the neighborhood. I will say I like the lake a lot. The homes seem much more upscale with most being stucco, and a craftsman styled look. However, they seem to jam the most house as legally allowed on the same size lots as New Brighton so they look much closer together down there (they might not be at all). Plus they also seem to start at 100k more for a house compared to New Brighton.

Ntense_SpecV
04-29-2013, 03:25 PM

ercchry
04-29-2013, 03:31 PM
if you cant park a car on the street between houses, they are too close. deal breaker for me for sure.

88CRX
04-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

My wife and I took a drive down to Mahogany just to checkout the neighborhood. I will say I like the lake a lot. The homes seem much more upscale with most being stucco, and a craftsman styled look. However, they seem to jam the most house as legally allowed on the same size lots as New Brighton so they look much closer together down there (they might not be at all). Plus they also seem to start at 100k more for a house compared to New Brighton.

Yup, no vinyl siding in Mahogany looks a lot more upscale. But the lot sizes are no larger than New Brighton (or any other community) in fact most of New Brighton isn’t zero lot lines when most new areas it’s starting to become the norm.

stevelou
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
My wife used to work for Brookfield a few years ago and I believe that they were told that Mahogany is supposed to be the most condensed community in Calgary when its finished. (Meaning a lot of Multi-family and townhomes)

btimbit
05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Doesn't look like you can get onto east 22x from Cranston blvd, just the big ramp to northbound deerfoot.

To get to east 22x you'll have to use the south exit/deerfoot then onto 22x.

http://www.sestproject.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SEST_Presentation_BoardFinal.pdf

JAYMEZ
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
You should look into Auburn Bay , alot of new stuff is going up in the area by the Hospital.. I just sold my house in Auburn , great community.

r3ccOs
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
you can smell the dump from Auburn Bay when the wind blows from the North/East

I drive by sheppard on my way to glenmore and its godawful.... I could only imagine how it would be like to perminately live there.

Someone correct me here... but I've heard that New Brighton, Douglas Glen and Copperfield are all reclaimed land (i.e. was a dump, but WM has now deemed/certified the land to be safe for residential development)

wouldn't surprise me

my buddy's dog, went for a swim in that copper point "lake" thingy and ended up with all sorts of hives/rashes that needed to be treated

sputnik
05-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
ySomeone correct me here... but I've heard that New Brighton, Douglas Glen and Copperfield are all reclaimed land (i.e. was a dump, but WM has now deemed/certified the land to be safe for residential development)

wouldn't surprise me

Myth.

my buddy's dog, went for a swim in that copper point "lake" thingy and ended up with all sorts of hives/rashes that needed to be treated

That is a retention pond filled with storm sewer water. While it is possible that his dog might have got something from the water, it is pretty unlikely. If so he should never let his dog drink from puddles either.

r3ccOs
05-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Myth.

That is a retention pond filled with storm sewer water. While it is possible that his dog might have got something from the water, it is pretty unlikely. If so he should never let his dog drink from puddles either.

does it need to be disclosed whether the developer is building on reclaimed land?

I mean this is not uncommon... there were tons of golf courses and "estate" homes that backed onto them on a couple "newish" golf courses built in Winnipeg

and you're probably right... if this is just a storm sewer pond, its probably just some sort of non-garbage related pollutant in there.

but I wouldn't swim in Elliston park neither

Ntense_SpecV
05-02-2013, 12:49 PM
you can smell the dump from Auburn Bay when the wind blows from the North/East

I drive by sheppard on my way to glenmore and its godawful.... I could only imagine how it would be like to perminately live there.

Someone correct me here... but I've heard that New Brighton, Douglas Glen and Copperfield are all reclaimed land (i.e. was a dump, but WM has now deemed/certified the land to be safe for residential development)

wouldn't surprise me

The area isn't a reclaimed dump. It's a previous farmer field that was purchased by Hopewell. In fact the developer is still in negotiation with the current owner as he still owns a good chunk of land just East of Copperfield. My builder told me that's the reason why Copperfield Bvld. doesn't connect all the way around - I can't confirm this obviously...but it does make some sense.

I've lived in Copperfield now for 2.5 years.

sputnik
05-02-2013, 01:09 PM

I mean this is not uncommon... there were tons of golf courses and "estate" homes that backed onto them on a couple "newish" golf courses built in Winnipeg

There is only one golf course in Winnipeg that used to be a dump and that is Harbourview (aka Kil-Cona Park). It was a dump 40+ years ago and has been a park for over 20 years now.

http://goo.gl/maps/QJMtn

Additionally there aren't any large residential developments adjacent to the park either.

Feel free to enlighten me about the estate homes that back onto former landfills in Winnipeg, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

ALBERTA_IS
05-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I have lived here for 2.5 years and I would say I smell a stagnant smell about 2 times a year and sometimes less. The wind almost always blows the opposite direction. I live on the drive facing the pond and green space so if you we're closer maybe it would be worse. As for zero lot lines that is only for the starter homes. My house has 14.5 feet on each side. Great area especially for the price range.

big A
05-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I've lived in New Brighton since the early stage of phase one. Back when you could get a real backyard :-)

I agree with everyone that says you get a bit of a whiff a few times a year. However I drive home from work up 52nd and, yup, those settling ponds are awful sometimes.

That means I've been here for about 11 years and love it. The access to deerfoot, 22x, east out of the city, even when I want to go west out of the city, you can't get a much more beautiful drive than 22x west.

You know what I hate about it? the fees. They are literally equivalent to a lakeside community fee. What do we have that is comparable to, say Bonavista or Auburn, a couple Zambonis. That's right I pay over $300 a year in community fees for things I never use but if you are a family that likes to skate and play hockey then New Brighton would be good for you. There is a leisure rink and a seperate hockey rink that are regularly serviced by Zambonis payed for by a whole community of people just for the hockey families in the area.

trevh
05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Any issues with Seagulls shitting on homes/cars? I worked at this landfill, they top dress with chopped up foam from car seats and dirt, top layer maybe clay but never saw clay at the landfill.

We used to pick garbage that blew past those large screen fences. They also have a bunch of poles (red/yellow) in the ground around the dump, they are constantly testing the ground for any leakage from the dump.

Are they not extending 130 av so people have access to the ring road?

Copperfield, New Brighton is a tough place to gain any sort of equity IMO

btimbit
05-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by trevh

Eventually, but not for a while. Original plans call for connections at 114th, then not until 22x

ALBERTA_IS
05-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by trevh
Any issues with Seagulls shitting on homes/cars? I worked at this landfill, they top dress with chopped up foam from car seats and dirt, top layer maybe clay but never saw clay at the landfill.

We used to pick garbage that blew past those large screen fences. They also have a bunch of poles (red/yellow) in the ground around the dump, they are constantly testing the ground for any leakage from the dump.

Copperfield, New Brighton is a tough place to gain any sort of equity IMO

There are never any seagulls flying around our place. Its not like the community is right on the dump!

As for the equity part, I am not sure why you would think living there that the market would somehow leave you behind. We have made a very good return on our house in the 2.5 years we have been there.

C_Dave45
05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ALBERTA_IS

There are never any seagulls flying around our place. Its not like the community is right on the dump!

As for the equity part, I am not sure why you would think living there that the market would somehow leave you behind. We have made a very good return on our house in the 2.5 years we have been there.

Notice Trevh says "IMO". New Brighton is no different than any other new sub-division. Some beautiful homes there, and all have the same value as their counterparts in other areas. If anything it will gain in value more, because of the new interchange and new amenitites that are building in that area.
I've worked on hundreds of houses there, over the past few years and never noticed any "smell" or "gulls", other than what you see anywhere else in the city. I've been working in Marda Loop and there were gulls all over the place there. :dunno:

OP, your buddy is full of bs. If you like the area, the builder and the amenities, then go for it. You'll gain equity just as quick as anywhere else.