PDA

View Full Version : 40 day program by Dan John

max_boost
04-28-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_40day_program

What are your goals?

The answer, almost universally, is 1) lose fat and 2) gain some muscle.

Focus on these five movements:

• A large posterior chain movement (the deadlift is the right answer)

• Upper body push (bench press, incline bench press, military press)

• Upper body pull (pull-ups, rows, or, if you've ignored them like me, heavy bicep curls)

• A simple full-body explosive move (kettlebell swings or snatches)

• And something for what I call an "anterior chain" move (an abdominal exercise). I think the ab wheel is king here, but you can also do some movements best suited for lower reps.

Looking for some motivation but don't know where to look. Beyond og 'lint' has always been awesome in pointing me in the right direction and he suggested the above program.

My strength numbers have hit the intermediate range (squat, deadlift, press, bench) and to be honest I am very satisfied with that. It's not really my goal to push a lot of weight, you can call that an excuse or whatever you want.

Coles: Workout 40 days in a row.

Squat or deadlift 2X5 (any weight)
Bench or press 2X5 (any weight)
1x5 pullups, 1x5 chinups
25 kb swings or 25 hard rope slams or prowler

So simple. So effective. I've done it 4 days in a row and I feel damn good. Still stronger than flipstah. :D

403ep3
04-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

So simple. So effective. I've done it 4 days in a row and I feel damn good. Still stronger than flipstah. :D [/B]

Wow :burnout: !

Let us know how it goes. I wish I could workout 40 days in a row but lifes too busy =(

mgwatson
04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Don't be surprised if you get sick for not giving your body adequate rest. I get that you're motivated to do this, but it makes no sense.

A790
04-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by mgwatson
Don't be surprised if you get sick for not giving your body adequate rest. I get that you're motivated to do this, but it makes no sense.
From the looks of it the workout is relatively easy...

Tej.S
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by mgwatson

This. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you doing the same workout(working the same muscle groups) for 40 consecutive days, without taking ANY days off?

Edit:
It's not really my goal to push a lot of weight

Nvm, didn't see that. If you're doing low volume and not putting adequate stress on your body, I guess you should be fine.

max_boost
04-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Well I'm definitely gonna be missing some days lol

The program is simple but I trust Dan John. As for the weights, you can do 2X5 at whatever you can handle. I'm doing my squats and deadlift at 135, bench at 95 and press at 75 to start lol but I can do higher weights if I wanted to.

Let's see how this goes. Like I said, I'm at intermediate strength levels as defined by http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm for my 140lb frame.

I find this program has what I'm looking for and like I said, I trust Dan John. Just sharing it with everyone, that's all.

jsn
04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Get back in to 5x5. I got back into it not too long ago. On my 5th week now :)

flipstah
04-29-2013, 11:10 AM
LOL I look forward to the results!

40 days in a row though? :(

max_boost
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
lol I'm skipping today.

I had the hardest skate of my life last night at shinny :nut: to compound it I ran into Shadowz and almost got KO'd lol