PDA

View Full Version : SUV question and dealer opinions

snoop101
04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Good morning all

I been looking at getting an SUV for a bit now and pretty much narrowed it down.

Right now I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra limited with nav which I just love (which is odd because I grew up with Audi's and BMW's). My daughter is now turning one and we realize that we just need more space. At the same time I would to be able to go camping and fishing with a SUV.

While most SUV's will do, I want something that I still somewhat feel comfortable taking off road.

I have narrowed it down to buy either a brand new Hyundai Santa fe 2.0t SE. Still has a backup cam, but not a gps in the SE, which is fine because I have a garmin already and barely use the one I have in the Elantra. Also buying a Hyundai new might make trading in my Elantra a lot easier.

My other option is a 2011-2012 pre owned Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Laredo with leather would be perfect. The V6 they put in them seem decent, though not the best on gas and unfortunetly in those years it was stilla 5 speed auto. The nice thing about the Jeep GC is that I wont be afraid to take it off road. If I buy 2011-2012 it will still have some warranty left over.

My last pick and not the best for off road is a Mercedes GLK350. I dont know if I would take this off road though, but the looks and engine are very nice.

Now comes down to dealer.

Hyundai seems decent no matter what. We bought from precision hyundai and our sales person (Mike) was awesome. He knew the specs in side and out and was not pushy. The only issue we had was financing women was a bit fake and then tried to sneak in all the extras without asking. I was not to happy about that.

Last Sat we went to courtesy jeep to look at a brand new Dodge journey R/T Rallye (which I realize now is not the best for us and looks are blah). So I walk in and some women who I still have no idea who she is, but looked sketchy says "im going to save you thousands today". I was like sorry my kids in the car so I cant spend to much time. She said ok well heres are best sales person. The sales guy was really nice, but when I asked if the had a new journey R/T Rallye he had no idea what a Rallye was. He said they are just all R/T's. I was like ok what ever. So we looked at a few and then we looked at a pre owned Jeep Grand Cherokee with leather. I really like it and would be perfect for what I we need. Im just afraid to buy from a dealership that does not have educated sales team and if that lady is in financing it would scare me. (on a side note I took a brochure of the journey and showed the sales guy a rallye)

Mercedes dealership I dont need to really talk to much about. Certified pre owned through Mercedes is just awesome and good rates.

Sorry for wall of text, but if anyone has experience with these or knows a reputable sales person that can assist me in one of the vehicles please let me know. I live in the South down in Somerset, so anything in the North would be a pain.

Sugarphreak
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM

snoop101
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Ya I kinda like the newer Grand Cherokee's.

The hardest thing is finding one from someone who isnt going to give me the run around. Jeep dealers seem to not have the best rep.

Sugarphreak
04-29-2013, 11:48 AM

FraserB
04-30-2013, 02:46 PM
PM'd

Xtrema
04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Big 4 is the only Chrysler dealership that seems decent to me.