PDA

View Full Version : Frame straightness?

Tik-Tok
04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
The project truck I bought has had some welding done on the frame, and I have no idea if it was done correctly, or just by some farmer in his barn.

Where can I take it, to get it checked? Would any collision repair shop be able to do this?

G-ZUS
04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
try frame king off of center ave ne

tom_9109
04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
You could do some comparative cross measurements yourself.

artieg30
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
You could do some comparative cross measurements yourself.

that won't be the most accurate but you're right you can do that as a start.

not sure about trucks since they actually have a "frame" but i know for cars they have this thing called the cellete bench where you basically put a car onto it. The bench itself has these rods specifically positioned to match your car's unibody/sub frame. If the rods match up to the corressponding holes from the unibody then thta confirms a proper frame. hope this helps!

AndyL
04-29-2013, 05:35 PM
For tiktok's there is a drawing for an old school tape measure layout for alignment / twist check on the stovebolt board

but if what you mentioned in pm is accurate, you've got little to work from... I think that drawing showed a transmission crossmember to front axle line - i dont think it was equal L/R. So ...

I'd start over on the stovebolt forums, theres some real chasis geeks over there...

Tik-Tok
04-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

I'd start over on the stovebolt forums, theres some real chasis geeks over there...

Good idea, I've browsed the forums over there, but haven't signed up yet. I've been thinking instead of restoring the exterior, I'd just turn it custom, and make an extended cab :D

AndyL
04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
There was an 80s s15 2wd - with blown motor on kijiji last week for 200$ ;)

I've read that its the worlds easiest chassis swap... :angel: