PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Focus ST

sphynx
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I just moved to Canada (Calgary) and I am looking at getting my first car. I am a young guy with no plans for kids soon so I don't need a huge SUV or anything. My initial thoughts were towards something like an XV crosstrek or a 2013 civic with a few decent options. Unfortunately I want something a little more exciting, but I'm trying not to sacrifice too much in the way of reliability. The car needs to at least be able to get me to work and back everyday.

I was wondering what all of your opinions are on the 2013 Focus ST? I am pretty much sold on the looks and performance of the car but I have some concerns about reliability. As I'm sure most of you know Ford has a less-than-stellar reputation outside of North America, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Canada. I'm also interested in hearing if anyone would recommend or not recommend any one of the three Ford dealerships?

I have obviously looked at the competition but the GTi and WRX are out of my price range (ST is right at the top of it) and while the MazdaSpeed 3 probably has the best value, I think it looks really dated now - especially the interior.

Thanks for any info!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
I can tell you the Focus ST is pretty dissapointing in terms of interior space in my opinion.

TravisF79
04-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Focus isn't bad. But agree with Twin_Cam about interior space.

DON'T go with the Fiesta.

But I do recommend the Fusion.

Cos
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM

eglove
04-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Love my ST, have no complaints. Interior isn't that bad IMO, but last car was a TSX then s2000...lol so it's huge compared to those. Loaded up 4 wheels and 3 tires no problem in the back. Sync is awesome to have with nav. Some quirks with phone connectivity but better than anything else out there right now IMO. Seats are amazing for stock, gearbox is sloppy and gobs of power. Set $450 aside for a Cobb Accessport and $50 for a green filter. If you wanna go for a ride, send me a PM

@ Twin Cam - there's more room than your 135 no?

heavyD
04-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I can tell you the Focus ST is pretty dissapointing in terms of interior space in my opinion.

This coming from a guy that's looking at buying an FR-S?????

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm not comparing it to my 135i or the FRS, I'm just saying for the size of the car it doesn't seem like they used the space very well.

btimbit
04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
How much more is the GTI? They have the same/similar base price don't they? But in typical VW fashion once you spec it up is it like $5k more?

Anyway, I really like the ST, I thought it had decent space and reliability really hasn't been much of in issue in recent years. I prefer the GTI though

Kloubek
04-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Ford has had a pretty bad reputation here too, Sphynxter. It's only in the last few years they are actually making what appears to be far better vehicles.

In fact, until recently I swore I'd never buy another Ford in my lifetime - but compared to many other brands, the quality, price, performance and dare I say appearance all seem to be very competitve.

sphynx
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm not too concerned about interior space. This will be my DD but when I have family or friends travelling with us we also have a Tucson that my girlfriend uses day-to-day.

@eglove: Thanks for the offer - I probably will be contacting you :) Would be cool to see how everything in the car operates and get an unbiased opinion about the good and the bad.

@btimbut: Yeah - that's pretty much the story with the GTi. I know it's a great car but it starts pretty much where the focus ends fully loaded and with similar extras it would be at least $4k more. I have also been told that VW's can be notoriously expensive to fix in North America - something I'm not really used to with VW.

@Kloubek: Yeah that's what I have been told and that is the only reason I am even considering an American car. I understand that it is certainly not as comfortable inside as a GTi and not as good as a WRX in rough conditions but it's much cheaper than both and probably just as much fun. Pretty much my only concern right now is trying to find as many long-term reliability reports as I can.

eglove
04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Join us @ http://fordstnation.com/forum/ lots of good posts good and bad about the car.

Stewjoe
04-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Have you considered a Veloster turbo? Power and handling don't match the ST but I think they are so much better looking. The ST is nice for a focus but doesn't turn heads.

Ukyo8
04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
:) :burnout: ST all the way
:) :burnout:

corsvette
04-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Stewjoe
Have you considered a Veloster turbo? Power and handling don't match the ST but I think they are so much better looking. The ST is nice for a focus but doesn't turn heads.

Veloster?....serious? This goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Can't go wrong with the ST though, it won't be out of style near as fast and will hold it's value.

schocker
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
The only reason the veloster turns heads is so you don't throw up on your shoes :barf: :barf: :barf:

:rofl:

Hallowed_point
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM

I agree...head to head I prefer the Veloster styling.

But only the turbo model. Then again, I think the Juke is a cool looking little car, different tastes for sure!

eglove
04-29-2013, 11:46 PM
:nut: derail

Coming from a straight honda fanboy to the ST....but veloster :barf:

Rat Fink
04-30-2013, 07:19 AM

corsvette
04-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
LOL, talk of Ford being a joke in long term value and now there are recommendations for Hyundai instead? I think I just sharted from laughing so hard.

Fords new generation engines are hard to top for reliability IMO. Do you know how many times my dealer (or even my last dealer) has had to tear down a 3.5L ecoboost?......try zero times and we're in the 3rd model year of that engine. Pretty fucking awesome if you ask me! I haven't even had to take a valve cover off of one of them yet. Same with the 2.0L, 5.0L, and 3.7L engine. The only 6.2Ls I've had to take apart were the very early ones but it has been ~2 years since I've taken one apart since.

When you buy a Hyundai in North America, you will never get any good offer for your car when it comes time to sell it unless you return to Hyundai and trade it in. That is how they are making their money. They are selling their "almost as good as" cars to suckers that become stuck with Hyundai unless they want to take an enormous bath by switching brands.

Hyundai: Hey, I'll sell you this piece of shit and trap you in my fagatron web where I'll secure my shit-selling abilities with you! Muahahaha /maniacal laugh.

+1. Was helping a good friend buy a SUV a few months back, I reasearched the Hyundai/Kia models as they were quite interested in them. I read countless online owner reviews and found that most people were not happy with them in the long run. All those extra features and attractive pricing lure lots of new buyers into their fold, but the cost savings come from places in the vehicle you can't see or feel...

heavyD
04-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
LOL, talk of Ford being a joke in long term value and now there are recommendations for Hyundai instead? I think I just sharted from laughing so hard.

Fords new generation engines are hard to top for reliability IMO. Do you know how many times my dealer (or even my last dealer) has had to tear down a 3.5L ecoboost?......try zero times and we're in the 3rd model year of that engine. Pretty fucking awesome if you ask me! I haven't even had to take a valve cover off of one of them yet. Same with the 2.0L, 5.0L, and 3.7L engine. The only 6.2Ls I've had to take apart were the very early ones but it has been ~2 years since I've taken one apart since.

When you buy a Hyundai in North America, you will never get any good offer for your car when it comes time to sell it unless you return to Hyundai and trade it in. That is how they are making their money. They are selling their "almost as good as" cars to suckers that become stuck with Hyundai unless they want to take an enormous bath by switching brands.

Hyundai: Hey, I'll sell you this piece of shit and trap you in my fagatron web where I'll secure my shit-selling abilities with you! Muahahaha /maniacal laugh.

Meh. My 2012 Mustang had more issues in 18 months than our last 7 new cars combined. I liked the car but I was pretty shocked at how poor Fords quality control is. The transmission (and a vast majority of parts) built in China, clutch in Turkey, engine assembled in Canada, heads built in Mexico, Nav/Radio's and paint made in Japan, etc, ect. All their parts are outsourced to the cheapest available manufacturers. Heck my Mustang was a month late because the Mexico factory fucked up a batch of heads and F150 gets priority.

I realize that all manufacturers outsource but Ford has taken it to the next level when it comes to cost cutting. Oh and I know all well Ford resell sucks ass just like Hyundai.

Twenty
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
As someone who has lived with a Mk3 Focus for the past 19 months, I can say it's never disappointed.

At my dealership we haven't had many STs come through but they get snatched up quickly and the owners seem to really enjoy them.