PDA

View Full Version : When buying a car, preferred method of payment?

CivicTunr
04-29-2013, 06:57 PM
When selling a car what method do you prefer to deal with?
Will you let them haggle you more if its cash vs certified cheque?

Is cash still king? Obviously never take a personal cheque.

eglove
04-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I've always taken and given bank drafts, nothing else.

roopi
04-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Certified check, bank draft, cash are all the same. If you're taking a certified check or bank draft I'd go to te bank to verify it before sending over the keys. These are easily faked.

Hallowed_point
04-29-2013, 07:20 PM
bank draft with receipt of withdrawal to show seller has always worked for me.
Once got $8500 in rubber band money..kinda sketchy but meh cash works

schocker
04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't let them haggle for cash, I wouldn't take cash over a few $k first of all, have done verified bank draft mostly.

Kloubek
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
The price is the price - regardless of payment method. So many times I've heard... "I'll give you XXXXX cash tomorrow!". (Usually XXXXX is about half the car's value from idiot Kijiji people)

I prefer cash, but I will accept bank drafts - thought I insist on due dilligence first of actually seeing their DL for myself and making sure the info they provide is legit.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Cash or bank draft and they accompany me to the bank.

ExtraSlow
04-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Cash for under five grand, bank draft for over. Had one guy insist on paying the first few grand in cash and the rest as a bank draft, I didn't care, but it was a big deal to him.

lilmira
04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Cash or bank-draft, I still prefer to have it verify at the bank together. I don't want to count bills and I don't want no counterfeits.

Mitsu3000gt
04-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Bank draft only for any significant sum of money. Any more than $1000 or so I'd go get a draft because I'm not comfortable having tons of cash on my person.

I don't know why anyone would pay cash, unless they were too cheap to pay the $5 bank draft fee, or they thought they could get a better deal "cash in hand" or "I only brought $XXXX with me......" lol.

Hallowed_point
04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Bank draft only for any significant sum of money. Any more than $1000 or so I'd go get a draft because I'm not comfortable having tons of cash on my person.

I don't know why anyone would pay cash, unless they were too cheap to pay the $5 bank draft fee, or they thought they could get a better deal "cash in hand" or "I only brought $XXXX with me......" lol.

Drug dealer? :dunno:

88CRX
04-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Meet at bank with a certified check/bank draft to have it confirmed as being legit.

Cash must be new style $100's or else confirmed at a bank that it's real money. Trust no one haha.

carson blocks
04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
As a seller, I prefer cash, but will take any certified funds. If it's a cashiers cheque or bank draft I have to make a judgement call on whether the person and the document seem legit. I won't give a discount for cash as really all certified funds mean the same amount in my pocket at the end of the day.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I don't know why anyone would pay cash, unless they were too cheap to pay the $5 bank draft fee, or they thought they could get a better deal "cash in hand" or "I only brought $XXXX with me......" lol. [/B]

I always pay cash for vehicles as I generally buy used and privately and cash makes it easy to pay the seller an exact amount after we agree on a price. Generally I bring cash, a license plate, and a second driver whenever I look at a car so I can take it home immediately. People are generally more agreeable to making a deal if it's clear they'll be paid in full immediately instead of taking a token deposit and waiting for a buyer to go to the bank etc.

brucebanner
04-30-2013, 09:40 AM
My last vehicle sale, we did a cash transfer since we both bank at the same place. That and he is a friend of a friend, of a friend.

For randoms, we both head to the bank.

Shlade
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
I took a gamble taking a cheque one time but I got every bit of info on the person I could just in case.

But normally I like bank drafts

Boosted131
04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I've always paid cash even for large amounts.

03ozwhip
04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
^ya me too and almost all of my cars ive sold have been cash except for one. i like having that ton of cash on me, usually its going to another car the next day though lol