PDA

View Full Version : New Canadian fives and tens

speedog
04-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Coming to a location near you in November, 2013...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8256/8693039417_c021c7fb4b_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8542/8694157272_8990e8bcca_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8542/8693039429_f6ca41de7f_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8403/8693039423_a27fe8ba95_z.jpg

FraserB
04-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Actually like the $10, $5 looks kinda silly

asp integra
04-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Actually like the $10, $5 looks kinda silly

ditto, im a fan of the 10

woodywoodford
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
I like the 5's, kinda feel like space bucks

haggis88
04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Canada went to space?

SlickA70
04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Both look pretty dumb :dunno:

Sugarphreak
04-30-2013, 09:55 PM

spikerS
04-30-2013, 10:05 PM
more-over it is about the canada arm on ths ISS...

eblend
04-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Think the $10 looks really cool....the 5 while cool and technical, doesn't flow as nice as the $10

davidI
04-30-2013, 11:17 PM
The 10 is awesome.

I like the idea behind the 5, but it's pretty tough to execute.

I wish they'd use landscapes from across Canada for all of the bills. I loved the old 20's with Lake Louise on the back.

With the 5 bills you could have:

West Coast Scene (maybe with a whale?)
Mountain Scene - Lake Louise, Assinaboine, Castle, Rundel etc. (maybe with a Cowboy in the foreground?)
Prairie Scene - Maybe with a Tractor or Combine
Niagra Falls
East Coast Scene (Light House?)

I'd like to see 2 versions of the 5 or 20, the other with something like Tombstone Territorial Park with a Inukshuk in the foreground.

That basically represents all of Canada, though Quebec would probably be pissed they don't get a special bill. Maybe you have 7 bills, with 2 versions of the 5 and 20 or something.

Just an idea!

I always liked the bills in South Africa where each bill has big game on the back. It's nice they have a "theme"

sexualbanana
05-01-2013, 12:45 AM
The general consensus in a lot of focus groups they did was that the new bills looked cartoonish and silly.

I don't mind it. The focus groups said that the robotic arm on the ISS is unclear because you don't really see the ISS. Just the arm, which I'm inclined to agree.

snowcat
05-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Why don't you guys focus on how many you have, not what they look like. :dunno:

cycosis
05-01-2013, 02:54 AM
I think the 5 is amazing! The 10 is a little fruity

ZenOps
05-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Laurier and MacDonald do look a little "Sims" like to me.

Good design on train, space arm looks a little cluttered, but thats what the arm looks like.

I'm sure we could put a submarine on the five - if we had a working submarine, lol.

ga16i
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by spikers
more-over it is about the canada arm on ths ISS...

The Canadarm was also on space shuttles too.
I think so far only the Soviets, Americans and Chinese had independently sent humans into space.

I like these new bills, it'll make all our bills somewhat matching again.

BigMass
05-01-2013, 07:16 AM
they look fine but I cant stand the feel of the new plastic money

flipstah
05-01-2013, 08:24 AM
I like 'em but still getting used to plastic money. Quite hard to count.

Xtrema
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
They stick together. I always has to crush them to make sure I ain't handing out 2.

I like the 5 and the celebration of science and tech. But for money that supposed to last forever, it's a bit shortsighted to put in something that will be out of service in a decade or so.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm sure as they get used and abused they'll feel a little more "normal" to us. When I was in New Zealand a few years ago, thier plastic money felt fine, and I understand ours is made of the same stuff. Probably just the fact that the ones we're all handling came off the presses (or whatever) so recently.

davidI
05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm sure as they get used and abused they'll feel a little more "normal" to us. When I was in New Zealand a few years ago, thier plastic money felt fine, and I understand ours is made of the same stuff. Probably just the fact that the ones we're all handling came off the presses (or whatever) so recently.

Yep. I think the plastic used for printing CAD $ is actually shipped from Australia and their money felt fine while in use. It was especially great to be able to leave it in your board shorts while going for a surf!

msommers
05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
I like both, and the new plastic bills. While they do tend to stick together when recently put into circulation, the benefits overwhelming negate any of the annoyances there may be.

Tik-Tok
05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
Why don't you guys focus on how many you have, not what they look like. :dunno:

Because having $5's and $10's is nothing to be proud of :rofl:

http://www.linkognito.com/images/07-16-08/money.gif

Feruk
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
The $10's awesome. The $5 is silly. Putting technology on a bill dates it. If this plastic money came out 20 years ago, it'd show the Avro Arrow on it with everyone today saying "they're still bragging about that outdated plane?"

blitz
05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I like both, and the new plastic bills. While they do tend to stick together when recently put into circulation, the benefits overwhelming negate any of the annoyances there may be.

I accidentally gave a guy an extra $100 for a lens for that reason, suprisingly he ran and stopped me as I got into my car to give it back.

FixedGear
05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
The $10's awesome. The $5 is silly. Putting technology on a bill dates it. If this plastic money came out 20 years ago, it'd show the Avro Arrow on it with everyone today saying "they're still bragging about that outdated plane?"

what's wrong with having dated money? Personally, I think it's neat. I love it when I get that occasional old coin from the 1950s.

GS430
05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I like all the new bills, as long as they're in my pocket. :nut:

But actually, I think they're all pretty cool. I hate ratty, worn out older bills.

sexualbanana
05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

The 100s are easier to handle now than when they first came out.

I would know. I have lots of them.

kertejud2
05-01-2013, 12:39 PM

So are we to believe that putting the likeness of a man who has been dead for 90 years doesn't date it?

KrisYYC
05-01-2013, 12:57 PM

Even worse for the new $10 bill then with the VIA rail train on it. Nothing like flossing our passenger rail system that's 40 years behind the rest of the world's.

diamondedge
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I like the landscape idea. I'd like to visit a country and take back a bill that had I place I visited and enjoyed, especially as scenic as our country is.

Feruk
05-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
what's wrong with having dated money? Personally, I think it's neat. I love it when I get that occasional old coin from the 1950s.

Originally posted by kertejud2
So are we to believe that putting the likeness of a man who has been dead for 90 years doesn't date it?

Someone who helped found Canada is timeless. The Canadarm will be space junk in a few years. Do you really wanna say your money has space junk on it when it becomes dated? :dunno:

Originally posted by KrisYYC
Even worse for the new $10 bill then with the VIA rail train on it. Nothing like flossing our passenger rail system that's 40 years behind the rest of the world's.
I actually don't mind the rail one. The railroad is actually the reason that British Columbia is part of Canada and not the USA. I think it's meant to be historic rather than talking about shitty VIA rail.

speedog
05-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Ya know it wouldn't have mattered what the Bank of Canada had put on the front or rear of these bills as there would've still have been people out there critical of anything they'd have done.

Personally love the ten's design and so do like the color of the five - certainly miles ahead of our neighbor's to the south.

whiskas
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Really liking the $5 bill, it's about time this nations accomplishments were actually showcased rather than some mountain/lake/animal/monument or hockey (lol).

ZenOps
05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, for sure they are both better than the US $100 bill.

_7bIXkxOY4w

Stacks of hundred dolla bills yo! Even though they do print 3 one hundred dollar bills for every nickel they produce.

Oddly enough, they finally have a dollar coin design that many would consider to might be slightly appealing:

2013 US Sacagawea dollar featuring a wolf, turtle and turkey. I like it, damn if its the first circulating coin design in decades that has some appeal.

Sentry
05-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Wilf doesn't look like spock anymore.

Also:

m2AkxPCxt_A

kertejud2
05-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Someone who helped found Canada is timeless.

If 'helping found' Canada is the best reason one can give for Laurier, it goes to show that the only thing they really know about him is that he is on the $5 bill.

The Canadarm will be space junk in a few years. Do you really wanna say your money has space junk on it when it becomes dated? :dunno:

That seems like an incredibly stupid thing to worry about.

I think it's meant to be historic rather than talking about shitty VIA rail.

So the Canadarm is space junk, but what is specifically described as a VIA Rail train is merely representative of something historic? Yeesh. Have fun saying there's an American made locomotive built in the 1980s on your money to represent Canadian history.

Maybelater
05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Wilf doesn't look like spock anymore.

Also:

m2AkxPCxt_A

R.I.P Jew Snowflake :'(

Originally posted by msommers

I can't stand all the people I am hearing complain about that. Just check your money first then, it isn't like taking a quick look or feel is that hard.