PDA

View Full Version : Question about some old speakers

MalibuStacy
04-30-2013, 10:35 PM
So today my brother and I swapped our old 1970's Sony three way speakers for my Dads 80's Sony SS-C50's on our retro stereo. After making the swap I took some photos of the old speakers and in the process saw that behind the retro screen there was JL audio subs for the low range. The high end and mid range are original Sony equipment, but the low ends are JL.

I am wondering whether I try and sell em, do I cannibalize them to get the use of those subs? Or should I keep em?

They don't have great sound, with the exception of the bass.

Thoughts?

clem24
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
There are no subs in there; they are woofers. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to use other manufacturers or generic drivers in their designs. For example, Focal makes drivers and you'll find them in $200 speakers up to $50,000.

Having said that, I don't know anything about the SS-C50's. JL Audio has been in the biz for a while now, and while it's possible those drivers were used by Sony, it's also possible that someone had swapped them in in place of the original drivers.

Finally, I'll add that just because it says "JL Audio" doesn't mean it'll magically make your car go boom (which I assuming is what you want to do).