PDA

View Full Version : NEED ADVICE. Bought a salvage vehicle unknowingly.

bcukkk
05-01-2013, 02:49 PM
What can I do? The seller never put it on their kijiji ad, never put it on the bill of sale, and never notified me at all. I now know I should've gotten a VIR, but what action can I take? It's a 1500 dollar car, so I'm not spending the money on the salvage inspection / repairs. Any information would be a huge help. :(

vengie
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Lesson learned, always make sure you do your due diligence on a used vehicle purchase.

Nothing you can do

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Nobody's fault but yours.

Kloubek
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah, nothing you can do.

Besides potentially being stolen, this is the very first thing you need to ensure when buying a used vehicle. I usually ask to see the registration which should give you a pretty good idea unless an accident very recently occured and was covered up.

GS430
05-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Step 1 when buying a vehicle:

look at registration of previous owner.

At least you got burned on a $1500 car and learned your lesson, instead of on a $15,000 car.. :dunno:

/glass half full

guessboi
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Too bad, always ask for registration and pull at least a car proof report.
Salvage inspections are very expensive.

ndhal417
05-01-2013, 04:24 PM
See if you can part it out and get close $1500 and buy another car?

revelations
05-01-2013, 07:16 PM
1500$? who cares.

dirtsniffer
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
^probably someone who can only afford a 1500 dollar car? Op, take it for an inspection. Maybe it will pass, maybe it won't. They will tell you what it needs if it doesn't. Then you can either fix it or try to pass the buck. What happened when you called the seller?

On the bill of sale did it say anything about registration status??

FraserB
05-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Right from the Alberta Ministry of Transport.

If the vehicle had a status of "salvage" at any Alberta registry agent, the vendor was required under Section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulation (AR 318/02) to either:

- provide the buyer with a subsisting salvage motor vehicle inspection certificate for the motor vehicle, or
- provide the buyer with a written statement advising that the motor vehicle is a salvage motor vehicle for which there is no subsisting salvage motor vehicle inspection certificate

If the vendor has not complied with the regulation Alberta Transportation will investigate the complaint. A written complaint, along with copies of the pertinent invoices/bill of sale, must be submitted to the attention of the Manager, Motor Vehicle Inspection Program before the complaint will be evaluated.

Note: No action taken by Alberta Transportation will result in an award of financial compensation, you will still need to negotiate with the vendor and/or seek a civil court decision.

He might be about to go after the seller in small claims.

turbotrip
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Step 1: ignore all the replies in the thread before FraserB's.
Step 2: call AMVIC, he has a legal obligation to disclose the salvage status to you before purchase

you're gonna have to go to court

btimbit
05-01-2013, 10:03 PM
It is usually buyer beware, hen it comes to actual salvage titles, it HAS to be disclosed, even in private sales.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2819.htm

1. I recently purchased a car and just found out it was declared salvage. The seller did not inform me of this. Do I have any recourse in order to get my money back?
If you have not been able to negotiate a settlement with the vendor, you will probably want to consider seeking compensation via civil court action. Your recourse will depend on how the sale occurred. If the vehicle had a status of "salvage" at any Alberta registry agent, the vendor was required under Section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulation (AR 318/02) to either:

provide the buyer with a subsisting salvage motor vehicle inspection certificate for the motor vehicle, or
provide the buyer with a written statement advising that the motor vehicle is a salvage motor vehicle for which there is no subsisting salvage motor vehicle inspection certificate
If the vendor has not complied with the regulation Alberta Transportation will investigate the complaint. A written complaint, along with copies of the pertinent invoices/bill of sale, must be submitted to the attention of the Manager, Motor Vehicle Inspection Program before the complaint will be evaluated.

Note: No action taken by Alberta Transportation will result in an award of financial compensation, you will still need to negotiate with the vendor and/or seek a civil court decision.

If the vehicle has a status of "rebuilt" at any Alberta registry agent, the vendor may have been obligated to disclose that status at the time of sale. The level of responsibility would best be determined in civil court action.

If the vendor is an automotive dealer, the vendor is required to provide full disclosure under the Fair Trading Act. You may learn more about this Act at the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC).

Kramerica
05-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Find some dude that wants to import it to Africa. At the junkyard we got those guys all the time on salvage vehicles.

bjstare
05-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Dunno if anyone else is thinking this... but who would wanna go to court over something this small? Surely preparation, paperwork, time standing in lines, etc etc etc, would add up quickly. Any gains in small claims would be mostly be offset by lost wages. :dunno:

heavyD
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Dunno if anyone else is thinking this... but who would wanna go to court over something this small? Surely preparation, paperwork, time standing in lines, etc etc etc, would add up quickly. Any gains in small claims would be mostly be offset by lost wages. :dunno:

Like has been said probably a person that can only afford a $1500 car. Just because $1500 is small to you to other's it can be huge. The OP likely has very good grounds to reaching a positive settlement and not only that it's also good to see fraudulent sellers taken to task.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by vengie
Nothing you can do

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Nobody's fault but yours.

Originally posted by Kloubek
Yeah, nothing you can do.

Originally posted by GS430
Step 1 when buying a vehicle:

look at registration of previous owner.

At least you got burned on a $1500 car and learned your lesson, instead of on a $15,000 car.. :dunno:

Originally posted by guessboi

So, what have we learned about giving legal advice on the Internet today?

lilmira
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Always 50/50;)

403ep3
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Beyond advice > ALL

bmeier
05-02-2013, 11:06 AM

sometimes you have to take money out of the equation. the seller tried to pull a fast one and I personally would go after him on principle.

hurrdurr
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
What kind of car?

Boosted131
05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
This is why I run a vin / lien check. It's worth the $30

btimbit
05-03-2013, 01:50 AM

I'd say go after him on principle, people that try to pull fast ones like this deserve to get charged

2BLUE
05-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by guessboi
Salvage inspections are very expensive.

$300-$350

Its the repairs that are expensive

What kind of car is it?

guessboi
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

$300-$350

Its the repairs that are expensive

What kind of car is it?

300-350 is expensive compared to a regular inspection.
Yes the salvage repairs are going to be expensive.