PDA

View Full Version : Pho in the NW?

Pages : [1] 2

2.2vtec
05-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Can anyone suggest a good Pho place in the NW area?

bulaian
05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Pho Van on Harvest Hills blvd by the bottle depot

Nha Trang in Panorama Hills

Strider
05-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Pho Huong Viet - Ranchlands

Kinjou
05-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
Pho Van on Harvest Hills blvd by the bottle depot

Nha Trang in Panorama Hills

If you're in this area, head a little farther to Saigon Red Sky; just off of beddington trail heading towards deerfoot. It's in the small strip mall beside the gas station.

My buddies use to go to Pho Van but have stopped ever since going to Red Sky

Kloubek
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Pho Huong Viet - Ranchlands

I really enjoyed this place when it was located down by Westbrook Mall.

We go to Nha Trang once every 2-3 weeks. It's decent but nothing special, and tends to be slightly higher priced than most Pho.

Gonna have to try out Red Sky. It gets great reviews online and is fairly close to me in Kincora.

Lex350
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
A Taste of Saigon - In Royal Oak

Marsh
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I like Kim Lan in Beacon Hlll shopping centre, its always quick and seems more like homestyle pho would be

bourge73
05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm white and even I know the NW has no
Good PHAaaaa places. Gotta go to the dirty
NE for your Viet fix...

sabad66
05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Kinjou

If you're in this area, head a little farther to Saigon Red Sky; just off of beddington trail heading towards deerfoot. It's in the small strip mall beside the gas station.

My buddies use to go to Pho Van but have stopped ever since going to Red Sky
Yep, this is my fav in this area. I used to go to pho thanh in hunterhorn but this is my new spot. They aren't open Sundays tho :(

It's right next door to Seniores if you know where that is.

bigbadboss101
05-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Hmm I drive by that often and I also normally go to Pho Thanh. Will have to give this place a try.

hampstor
05-02-2013, 07:53 PM
These are the restaurants I go when I want pho or other viet food in the NW:
- Saigon Star (16th/uxbridge)
- It's technically the NE, but I prefer Pho Thanh above all the others in the NW.

Restaurants that are "meh" but my white friends like:
- Saigon Pearl (right by T&T)
- A Taste of Saigon (royal oak) - though i've only had the bun bo hue. They're open late, but service is hit/miss.
- Essence of Saigon (across from Winston Churchill)
- Bobby Chao's (Edgemont, the viet restaurant is right next to the chinese one. You can even order the chinese menu if you want)
- Nha Trang (panorama)
- pho huong viet (ranchlands)

Restaurants I didn't really enjoy:
- Pho Taurus (way back, I wrote a review on beyond of how nasty this place was)

Kloubek
05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
I like Kim Lan in Beacon Hlll shopping centre, its always quick and seems more like homestyle pho would be

Really? We ate there once and thought it was absolutely brutal. But I'm white so that might have had a bearing on it...

852VR6
05-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Really? We ate there once and thought it was absolutely brutal. But I'm white so that might have had a bearing on it...

X2....ate there once and it was quite bad, never there since

bleu
05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I totally agree with Pho Taurus...horrible.

I like pho thanh. I'm rarely in the NW anymore.

npham
05-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Phuong Vi Noodle House across from SAIT is by far the best place in the NW.

Marsh
05-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 852VR6

X2....ate there once and it was quite bad, never there since

Lol i guess im not much of a pho expert then, i thought it was decent

genesis0403
05-03-2013, 02:24 AM
I agree with hampstor. I lived in Vancouver for 12 years and I found Pho Thanh to taste almost the same as the pho there.

GQBalla
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
any pho in the NW is a bad go IMO.

go down to ghetto 17 and you're golden

Kritafo
05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
blech.. all of the NW sucks for Pho. I can never believe how freaking packed the place in Royal Oak is... had it...ran....never looked back. Worst everything I have ever had. I used to be able to tolerate the place in Bowness but the last time we went about a year ago it was terrible.

that place in Beacon Hill.. never again. Ranchlands bites. I hate having to drive all over town for good Pho...but hate myself when I eat garbage.

Xtrema
05-03-2013, 04:58 PM

I find Kim Lan to be disgusting.

Like:
Pho Huong Viet - Ranchland
Pho Thanh - 64th Ave

Ok:
Essence of Saigon - Churchill High
Pho Van - By bottle depot
Na Trang - Panorama by Rexall

Dislike:
Kim Lan - Beacon Hills
Saigon Pearl - T&T
Bobby Chao's - Edgemont
Saigon Y2K - McMahon

Pho Thanh is consistent. But Huong Viet has off days.

Lex350
05-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Don't like this place. Tastes like they made it the day before and just kept it warm.

phreezee
05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
A Taste of Saigon - In Royal Oak

Taste is ok, but service is slow... can't stand waiting over 30 minutes for food for a Vietnamese place.

Kloubek
05-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Just went to Red Sky tonight. I got beef Sate, she got some sort of mixed meat bun.

She thought her noodles are a little firm, but thought it was ok. My Sate lacked a lot of extra veggies (besides sprouts) but had a very nice taste and was just-right good and spicy.

Owner seems like a nice guy - made a little small talk. Quick service both in and to get the food. I'd say overall it is above average.

Nobody has mentioned Tango yet. Probably considered NE? I actually liked that place... but rarely go anymore. Real fruit slushes are a nice plus you don't get everywhere... ambience is far above average.

rob the knob
05-03-2013, 09:25 PM
how do you day PHO?

rhyme with?

what girl does not firm noodle? just jokes. locates

Dalking
05-03-2013, 10:56 PM
my two fav spots are vietnam palace 16th ave 3st , alwaysgreat, tons of serving. the second fav is the bowness vietnamese restaurant in the little 'mini city'.

Kloubek
05-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
how do you day PHO?

rhyme with?

Is this a riddle?

Cooked Rice
05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
how do you day PHO?

rhyme with?

Your english some days...

redevil
05-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Saigon Red Sky is the place I like. I anyone notice how small the chairs are at the restaurant? First time I went there the chairs made me feel like I was a big guy. I like the food and service regardless of the small chairs :D

clem24
05-07-2013, 10:39 AM
My Sate lacked a lot of extra veggies (besides sprouts) but had a very nice taste and was just-right good and spicy.

Veggies? WTF? The only veggies in pho are cilantro, onions and green onions. What were you expecting??

Anyway the only place with even half decent pho is going to be Y2K across from McMahon, and even then, when I go there, I opt for beef La Bop or something else. But they do have awesome 3 colored bean though.

Otherwise, I'd say venture slightly into the NE to Pho Thanh in Huntington. I guess Pho Kim would be in the NW but they're inconsistent.

All of the places in Royal Oak / Ranchlands / Crowfoot / whatever ALL SUCK SHIT.

Even though I am in far NW, I venture down to Pho Chu The on McLeod cause good pho is worth it LOL.

Kloubek
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Veggies? WTF? The only veggies in pho are cilantro, onions and green onions. What were you expecting??

Ha! Not a garden of veggies... but it seemed like it was really just sprouts, broth and beef. I can't say I know exactly what goes into these soups (I guess you just told me), but I just found the Pho from other places to have more in it.

Or, perhaps I was just being overly critical because this was my first time there and I had previously read this thread. :dunno:

BigShow
05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

Taste is ok, but service is slow... can't stand waiting over 30 minutes for food for a Vietnamese place.

Agreed, food in a Viet place should come out in like 4-6 mins. Any longer and it just doesnt feel authentic.

Kg810
05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I quite enjoy the Bun Bo Hue at Pho Huong Viet. That is the only thing I get from there.

Kritafo
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Dalking
my two fav spots are vietnam palace 16th ave 3st , alwaysgreat, tons of serving. the second fav is the bowness vietnamese restaurant in the little 'mini city'.

I don't ind Vietnam Palace, but when did you start going to the Bowness one? IT's changed so much since it first opened.

Xtrema
05-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

Don't like this place. Tastes like they made it the day before and just kept it warm.

They all do. The worse pho is the day they started a new stock pot from scratch.

interlude
05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

Royal Oak Taste of Saigon

The best was when they first opened, a couple waited over 45 minutes for salad rolls. They ended up leaving at the 45 min mark and no salad rolls. I had ordered take out and gave them an hour, went there and ended up waiting another 30 minutes.

Plus, their soup is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo salty. I have no idea why they are still in business.

lilmira
05-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by interlude

Royal Oak Taste of Saigon

The best was when they first opened, a couple waited over 45 minutes for salad rolls. They ended up leaving at the 45 min mark and no salad rolls. I had ordered take out and gave them an hour, went there and ended up waiting another 30 minutes.

Plus, their soup is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo salty. I have no idea why they are still in business.

Yeah, that place is a disappointment. Don't understand how it would take so long to make a bowl of pho. Broth should be ready to go, no cooking required for raw beef, noodle doesn't take long to cook. Don't know if they have improved but I'm not motivated to go there even though I'm like a few minutes walk away.

interlude
05-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Yeah, that place is a disappointment. Don't understand how it would take so long to make a bowl of pho. Broth should be ready to go, no cooking required for raw beef, noodle doesn't take long to cook. Don't know if they have improved but I'm not motivated to go there even though I'm like a few minutes walk away.

I regretfully went back a few months later and it still sucks. Service was still slow (but not as slow as before). Unless they are slaughtering the cow in the back for meat and soup bones and making a fresh bowl of pho for each order, I have no idea why there is such a huge delay.

and its still fucking salty. For those who have low blood pressure and need sodium in your diet, you should check this place out!

Disoblige
05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
^^ Haha shit man. No way would I ever have went back if they took so long to get your food ready. Vietnamese cuisine is one of the quickest to prepare for customers at a restaurant.

hamkered
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Does anyone on here know of a pho place that's guaranteed peanut-free? I never go because they all seem to have satay with peanuts in it.

clem24
05-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by hamkered
Does anyone on here know of a pho place that's guaranteed peanut-free? I never go because they all seem to have satay with peanuts in it.

By peanut free do you mean absolutely zero peanuts served in the entire place, or just no nuts in the satay?

I honestly don't think you can find one.. Almost all the vermicelli will have peanuts as garnish.

bigbadboss101
05-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by redevil
Saigon Red Sky is the place I like. I anyone notice how small the chairs are at the restaurant? First time I went there the chairs made me feel like I was a big guy. I like the food and service regardless of the small chairs :D

I went there today. Nice music and a nice looking small restaurant. My pho was pretty good. Yes the chairs were short in terms of thigh support. Must be designed for little people :-)

hamkered
05-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Haha well that sucks then :banghead:

XXXXXX
06-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Anyone ever get vermicelli ?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/jona_to_cute/IMG821_zpsf45cba62.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/jona_to_cute/media/IMG821_zpsf45cba62.jpg.html)

secol
06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
bun? yeah, good stuff. love the vinegar

Cooked Rice
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
It's mostly fish sauce, sugar water and lemon juice and it's called Nuoc Mam Pha.

Kaos
06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I call it Nammer Juice.

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 02:18 AM
I hate that shit, always throw it out. Way to runny for the food.

jwslam
02-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Bump.

Saw this. Anyone try it yet?
http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/john-gilchrist-o-phoenix-brings-upscale-vietnamese-dining-to-northwest

I'm betting it's the exact same spot as where Taste of Saigon used to be (now moved to Royal Oak to continue serving their crap)

know1edge
02-13-2016, 11:18 PM

rage2
02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
$17 pho?

riander5
02-14-2016, 01:10 AM
Red sky Saigon is awesome. After having that and pho hoai in china town I can't have pho anywhere else. Who was complaining about not enough veggies in red sky ? Lol

gqmw
02-14-2016, 02:26 AM
Oriental Phoenix is garbage.

Taste of Saigon is quicker these days (~15 minutes). Always found their beef to be better quality. Soup is still a bit salty though.

reijo
02-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Bump.

http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/john-gilchrist-o-phoenix-brings-upscale-vietnamese-dining-to-northwest

I'm betting it's the exact same spot as where Taste of Saigon used to be (now moved to Royal Oak to continue serving their crap)

Yes, I went there recently ... very nice inside and food was good I thought. It used to be a Roger's Video store before. Next to Nottingham's pub ... couple blocks south of Crowchild off of Nose Hill Drive.

Reijo

chathamf
02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Little spot in Ranchlands right off of Nose Hill has been my go to around the NW. Good prices and fast service. Always packed with people so must be not too bad. I don't know Pho too well so can't really judge but I like it.

Dumbass17
02-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by npham
Phuong Vi Noodle House across from SAIT is by far the best place in the NW.
Uhm what. Nope

Dumbass17
02-14-2016, 12:59 PM
What about pho near Kensington area? We live in Kensington but always end up driving to Lemon Grass near west hills for pho

jwslam
02-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Little spot in Ranchlands right off of Nose Hill has been my go to around the NW. Good prices and fast service. Always packed with people so must be not too bad. I don't know Pho too well so can't really judge but I like it.
The one by dairy queen / the greek place / CIBC. Yup it's always damn busy.

Xtrema
02-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2
$17 pho?

And here I thought $12 is too much.

I don't know, slurping noodles out of a soup bowl doesn't sound fine dining to me. Don't know how well this concept will work in the NW.

Disoblige
02-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Pho Van's gotten a lot better when I went to eat there.

Not in the NW, but if we're talking about cheap pho, Pho Binh Minh in Forest Lawn is super cheap! And pretty great too. I'd go there a lot more often if I was in the area.

bleu
02-14-2016, 10:53 PM

The one by dairy queen / the greek place / CIBC. Yup it's always damn busy.

Pho Huong Viet! I haven't been to the NW location, but frequent the one on 17th SW as it's by my place. I find it's always busy, pretty tasty and reasonably priced!

rx7_turbo2
02-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I don't know, slurping noodles out of a soup bowl doesn't sound fine dining to me. Don't know how well this concept will work in the NW.

There's lots of us white folk up here that have no idea what good pho tastes like, or what it should cost. ;)

Vagabond142
02-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Pho Huong Viet up in Ranchlands is by far the best flat out Vietnamese, not just pho, I've had in the NW. Their sate is a touch on the milder side, which is great if you want to try out a sate without roasting your sinuses, but overall I find their broth nicely balanced, and for their bun it's always really nice :thumbsup:

K3RMiTdot
02-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Pho Huong Viet up in Ranchlands is by far the best flat out Vietnamese, not just pho, I've had in the NW. Their sate is a touch on the milder side, which is great if you want to try out a sate without roasting your sinuses, but overall I find their broth nicely balanced, and for their bun it's always really nice :thumbsup:

I went there when it first opened - i vowed to never go there again because it sucked.

Maybe ill give it another shot since a lot of you seem to like it

Xtrema
02-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

I went there when it first opened - i vowed to never go there again because it sucked.

Maybe ill give it another shot since a lot of you seem to like it

Food is fine. Service sucks. Always busy, not worth the wait.

jltabot
02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
For all the white people on here, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, try pho anh just off center and 16th (adjacent to the shoppers or tim's there, can't remember which one). There's about 4 different pho places all within a couple blocks of each other in the area but pho anh is the best.

It's dingy looking so you know it's good haha

chathamf
02-16-2016, 07:26 AM

Food is fine. Service sucks. Always busy, not worth the wait.

I always do takeout and regardless how busy they are it's never more than 15 minutes. Always pleased with the service myself.

jwslam
02-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Food is fine. Service sucks.
I didn't find it that bad. Are you a white guy who's expecting to see the server every 3 minutes asking how you're food is? You'll NEVER find that at ANY Asian restaurant. Ever.

V6-BoI
02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Saigon Red Sky right off of Beddington Blvd is good. Guess it's technically considered N.E., but just a block away from center street.

Kloubek
02-16-2016, 09:22 AM
There's also a newer one across from the Boston Pizza in Creekside, Symons Valley.... Vietnam Palace. I'd rate it about 3.5 white guy stars.

I'm hesitant to go back though. The last time we went, they had given us a teapot and tea bag that had clearly been used already. Guess it could have been worse, but what else are they missing....

bigbadboss101
02-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Siagon Red Sky food was pretty good. Seating is tight and the chairs are for little people.

Mixed, not so great reviews on Vietnam Palace. First time there I wasn't impressed. The 2nd time I enjoyed the soup I had.

DC2
02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Has anyone tried Pho Sate in Nolan Hill? looks like they just opened up not too long ago.

Xtrema
02-16-2016, 04:40 PM

I didn't find it that bad. Are you a white guy who's expecting to see the server every 3 minutes asking how you're food is? You'll NEVER find that at ANY Asian restaurant. Ever.

I always got served by a guy who doesn't want to be there and yell at you. I guess it's just my luck then.

There's also a newer one across from the Boston Pizza in Creekside, Symons Valley.... Vietnam Palace. I'd rate it about 3.5 white guy stars.

I'm hesitant to go back though. The last time we went, they had given us a teapot and tea bag that had clearly been used already. Guess it could have been worse, but what else are they missing....

Been there once, didn't like their soup. But good deal back when they are new, like 3 bowls and get 1 free or something like that.

ROBOCOP
02-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but Pho Anh in Crowfoot/Arbour Lake is the ONLY place I go to now. They use NO MSG which is the main reason why I go. Of course the pho is amazing as well due to the fact. I've been to all the places in the NW, the one in Ranchlands is brutal, only a little better than Kim Lan. :barf:

For those who aren't into eating a ton of MSG, check this place out.

https://www.zomato.com/calgary/pho-anh-calgary

max_boost
02-17-2016, 08:01 PM
No MSG pho is just a bad time. No thanks. :rofl:

403ep3
02-18-2016, 08:40 AM
No MSG in Pho? no wayyyy :thumbsdow

n1zm0
02-18-2016, 10:00 AM
No MSG in Pho, blasphemy, while it can be done (Rice for King on Macleod for example), I'll stick to MSG in my pho personally.

Originally posted by ROBOCOP
They use NO MSG which is the main reason why I go.

VJw8r_YWJ9k

The Source Of The Myth

In 1968, a scientist wrote to the New England Journal of Medicine saying that he'd experienced something he decided to call "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" after chowing down on Chinese food. He claimed he'd experienced "a numbness at the back of the neck that radiates to the arms and back," along with "general weakness and palpitation."

At the time, they decided to place the blame on the flavor additive.

But research over the next few decades didn't support the claim that a normal dose of MSG could cause the mysterious "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" effects.

Instead, as the ACS says, the scientific consensus from that research is that "MSG can temporarily affect a select few when consumed in huge quantities on an empty stomach, but it's perfectly safe for the vast majority of people."

So, a normal person may get temporary symptoms if they eat huge quantities of the stuff without any other other food. But no normal person would consume MSG in that way — it would make as much sense as eating tablespoons of salt, and cause the same reaction.

As for glutamate itself — as the ACS explains, it's one of the 20 amino acids that make up all naturally occurring proteins. Nothing to fear, here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-msg-sodium-in-chinese-food-safe-to-eat-2014-8

sneek
02-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Bump.

It is in the same strip mall near Esso. I went over the weekend and it was amongst the worst dining experiences I have had. We arrived at 1:00PM hoping that he lunch rush would be over, but we ended up waiting till 2:40PM before our food arrived. The orders were for a beef pho soup and a combination bun. The food was no better than Pho Huong Pasteur, not bad by any means but no where near good enough to justify the wait. The restaurant only had 4 other tables so there was really no excuse for it to take that long. One couple walked out somewhere around the 1 hour mark.

max_boost
02-18-2016, 12:03 PM
MSG is so bad but I will just dump a shit tonne of salt and soy sauce into my food and on top of that give me an XL Coke. :rofl: :thumbsup:

speedog
02-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by sneek

It is in the same strip mall near Esso. I went over the weekend and it was amongst the worst dining experiences I have had. We arrived at 1:00PM hoping that he lunch rush would be over, but we ended up waiting till 2:40PM before our food arrived. The orders were for a beef pho soup and a combination bun. The food was no better than Pho Huong Pasteur, not bad by any means but no where near good enough to justify the wait. The restaurant only had 4 other tables so there was really no excuse for it to take that long. One couple walked out somewhere around the 1 hour mark.
I can't believe you waited 100 minutes, I know I would've been out of there well before the hour mark. 100 minutes for pho soup and combo buns, wow, you are patient.

Disoblige
02-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by speedog

I can't believe you waited 100 minutes, I know I would've been out of there well before the hour mark. 100 minutes for pho soup and combo buns, wow, you are patient.
I can't even remember the last time I waited over an hour for food to arrive.

Oh wait, just did. Fucking Oshii :whipped:

bigbadboss101
02-18-2016, 12:51 PM
The one in Nolan say they don't use MSG. The owner came talk to us. Nice guy.
The thing is there are other names for MSG. One can say they don't use MSG but in essence they do but it's under another name.

Maxx Mazda
02-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Just had some Pho Van in country hills. Would eat again.

jwslam
02-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
^ White guy talking. Every Asian I know prefers to stay far away from there.

Disoblige
02-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Dang, I must be white because I don't mind Pho Van at all. They improved a lot since they opened.

speedog
02-18-2016, 02:58 PM

Hey, us white folk are good for something at least. eh. Keeping sub-par restaurants in business?

Quizzes
02-18-2016, 03:27 PM
I like Pho Van and I'm not white.

max_boost
02-18-2016, 03:32 PM

Hey, us white folk are good for something at least. eh. Keeping sub-par restaurants in business? haha:thumbsup:

Maxx Mazda
02-18-2016, 03:44 PM

Guilty. I'm as white as they come!

beyond_ban
02-18-2016, 04:18 PM

Pho Van isn't bad, but i prefer Saigon Pearl which is just a stones throw across Harvest Hills Blvd. Have you tried it?

sneek
02-18-2016, 05:40 PM

The worst part is that the couple that walked out at the 80 minute mark had their food come out first. The server acted so shocked that they would do such a "rude" thing. They asked when they left and I told them 10-20 mintues ago. Even with only 4 tables this place couldn't keep an eye on customers. Another table ended up leaving after getting their appys and waiting another 45 minutes for their pho. It was a brutal experience all around. I will never go back for to O Phoenix for mediocre pho.

bigbadboss101
02-18-2016, 07:06 PM

Last couple times I went it was full with Asian customers.

sabad66
02-18-2016, 07:21 PM
There are just way too many pho joints in Calgary to keep track of these days.

I'll throw my hat in for Saigon Red Sky in beddington (right next door to Seniores). Best i've had.

max_boost
02-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Pho Hoai Chinatown still the best and fastest ever. Sit down order and 100 seconds you will get your food. 100mins you guys are champs! :nut:

403ep3
02-18-2016, 08:36 PM
I don't mind pho van and I'm Asian and picky?

bleu
02-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Pho Hoai Chinatown still the best and fastest ever. Sit down order and 100 seconds you will get your food. 100mins you guys are champs! :nut:

Pho Hoai is :drool:

A2VR6
02-18-2016, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I don't mind pho van and I'm Asian and picky?

:werd: me too...I quite like pho van

Maxx Mazda
02-19-2016, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Pho Van isn't bad, but i prefer Saigon Pearl which is just a stones throw across Harvest Hills Blvd. Have you tried it?

I have eaten there 5-6 times but in all honesty the last time I was there was probably close to a year ago. Don't remember it being bad though. Today at pho Van was my first time there.

I'll throw in a good "white boy" vote for Vietnam palace in creekside. Much prefer to Kim Lan. Service is quick and their $12 lunch combo (pho, two salad rolls or spring rolls) is cheap and quick.

alien
02-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ROBOCOP
Not sure if it has been mentioned but Pho Anh in Crowfoot/Arbour Lake is the ONLY place I go to now. They use NO MSG which is the main reason why I go. Of course the pho is amazing as well due to the fact. I've been to all the places in the NW, the one in Ranchlands is brutal, only a little better than Kim Lan. :barf:

https://www.zomato.com/calgary/pho-anh-calgary

Pho Anh has become my goto place for NW Pho too. I can't decide if it's actually really good or just not as sh_tty as all the other NW places.

Quizzes
02-19-2016, 09:42 AM

I'll throw in a good "white boy" vote for Vietnam palace in creekside. Much prefer to Kim Lan. Service is quick and their $12 lunch combo (pho, two salad rolls or spring rolls) is cheap and quick.

I live close to this place and I would never consider this an option for pho anymore. Food and decor is just horrible. :thumbsdow

Maxx Mazda
02-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Friday update. Had me some Saigon Pearl for lunch. Ordered the seafood pho and shrimp salad rolls. The seafood soup was probably one of the worst I've had. The broth was so strange tasting. Very "sour" almost like it was made of tomatoes. In fact, there were a bunch of tomatoes in it. Much prefer the seafood broths at other places.