PDA

View Full Version : Enclosing furnace - clearance required by code?

UndrgroundRider
05-03-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm planning to develop my basement. Nothing fancy, just erecting walls to create a utility room and finishing off the space.

Does anyone know the clearance required by code between the furnace and any walls? The furnace is a high efficiency unit, with direct vent for both intake combustion air and the exhaust. According to the manufacturer's manual, in that configuration the required clearance is 0". I doubt the building code is that lenient. Obviously I'd like to build the wall as close to the furnace as possible to maximize the space.

I purchased an online viewing for 10 days (LOL, seriously?!?) of the Alberta Building Code. I couldn't find anything in it specifying the clearances. Only drywall thickness and door width.

In the City of Calgary "basement development brochure" there is a paragraph that says:

Source: City of Calgary: Basement Development Brochure (http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Documents/brochures/basement_development.pdf)
Heating & Ventilation
- Maintain proper clearances of 600 mm (24”) in
front and 150 mm (6”) at the sides and back to
combustible construction, when furnaces and
other gas-burning appliances are enclosed

I'm trying to figure out if that's actually in the code somewhere or just a recommendation. I have personally seen a half-dozen or so houses where the furnace is literally less than an inch away from the wall/door. It seems like a common practice.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Alterac
05-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I find you would want to leave at least 2 feet on each side for Maintenance purposes.

How much space do you need to change the filter? or replace any AC / Heating parts?

Ntense_SpecV
05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I believe code requires a minimum 36" door into the mechanical room also. This is so you can physically move the equipment in and out of the room.

benyl
05-03-2013, 09:55 AM
36" door.

I think if you put drywall on the wall it might need to be fireproof?

Do you really want to rip your walls down when you need someone to work on the furnace. I would go 2' all around.

AndyL
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Generally in new home with developed basement, theyre running on the minimums - to a non-combustible surface (ie drywall - taped/mudded).

That said, every inch you take away for clearance will cost you when work needs to be done... pulling a furnace after install to drywall/tape/mud seems a wee bit inefficient to save 6"

my. 02

barmanjay
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Source: City of Calgary: Basement Development Brochure
Heating & Ventilation
- Maintain proper clearances of 600 mm (24”) in
front and 150 mm (6”) at the sides and back to
combustible construction, when furnaces and
other gas-burning appliances are enclosed

I do believe that is minimum code.

However, when i was developing (years ago) I made sure 12" was available all around (ease of removal or repair) and the front was completely accessible min 3' for servicing).

iirc: mechanical room door code is now 34" (iirc)

It used to be 36" as the furnaces were large and so were HW tanks. With the newer high efficiency ones in compact designs, only a 34" is required.

Again this is all 'iirc'

frozenrice
05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
I believe code requires a minimum 36" door into the mechanical room also. This is so you can physically move the equipment in and out of the room.

Actually 2'8" (32") is code. 36" is better, but you can get away with 2'8".

Barman, 34" (2'10") isn't available as a standard size. Interior doors only come in 1'6" (18"), 2'0"(24"), 2'4"(28"), 2'6"(30"), 2'8"(32") and 3'0"(36").

barmanjay
05-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Actually 2'8" (32") is code. 36" is better, but you can get away with 2'8".

Barman, 34" (2'10") isn't available as a standard size. Interior doors only come in 1'6" (18"), 2'0"(24"), 2'4"(28"), 2'6"(30"), 2'8"(32") and 3'0"(36").

Well there ya go,.. 32"

I couldn't remember (it's been 6-7 years now) so I went with a larger one :D

you used to be able to find 34" doors though, I guess they weren't as commonly used to keep manufacturing.

UndrgroundRider
05-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear. I am putting a 36" door directly in front of the furnace. There is also room to access the furnace from the side. The plan I am considering is below. My only concern with the plan is that the door and wall may be too close to the front of the furnace. I guess I will find out when I apply for the permit. Unfortunately that could cost me $200. http://www.performance-shop.com/images/smilies/spend.gif

http://i.imgur.com/E7jixcr.jpg

frozenrice
05-03-2013, 07:05 PM
If I may, here's what I suggest you do:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/E7jixcr_zpsfeb66ad5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/frozenrice/media/E7jixcr_zpsfeb66ad5.jpg.html)

This will save you the cost of the double doors to the storage area. The way you have the access door to the furnace in the original drawing you'd have to leave the space for the door to swing out anyways. Moving the wall with the door to where I've drawn you'll have plenty of space in front of the furnace. Getting rid of the double doors gives you more usable storage space along the wall in the storage area.

UndrgroundRider
05-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
If I may, here's what I suggest you do:

This will save you the cost of the double doors to the storage area. The way you have the access door to the furnace in the original drawing you'd have to leave the space for the door to swing out anyways. Moving the wall with the door to where I've drawn you'll have plenty of space in front of the furnace. Getting rid of the double doors gives you more usable storage space along the wall in the storage area.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I need the space in the rec room. Otherwise I would do exactly as you said and be done with it.

barmanjay
05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Just take out the 36" door,.. and put in a 48" set of bi-folds,.. then all you need is a 32" door into the storage area.