PDA

View Full Version : How to create and maintain a good lawn?

roopi
05-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I need specifics here. My lawn has always sucked. Weeds, grows in patches, half green and half brown. I take the time to pull weeds and cut/trim on a regular basis but it always looks like shit.

So this weekend I plan on raking and cutting but what is the next step? Fertilize? Seed and soil?

Add seed first or try fertilizer? If so what brand/type of fertilizer should I be buying? Any tips wold be appreciated.

Tik-Tok
05-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Underground sprinkler. It helped my lawn SOOO much. Not even that difficult to do yourself (unless you have several 40' spruce trees like I do, lol)

big A
05-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Fat grass.

Google the recipe, it's peat, vermiculite, fertiliser and seed.
I used it about ten years ago and my lawn is still awesome. I barely water because it retains the moisture and barely get weeds because the grass is too thick for weeds to get through.

AndyL
05-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Next step is aerate - lawn doesnt grow on compacted soil...

If its already weak - and you want it cleaned up quick - nutrilawn or greendrop both still run spring specials... liquid ferts seem to perk it up way quicker than granular. A light top dressing (add new dirt) and overseeding never hurts (except the water bill)

then get in the habit of mowing long - 2½-3" it fills in and looks better quick (and is more drought resistant), might involve 2 mows a week at first - fun is making sure your removing less than 1/3 of the leaf on any mow. Thats usually the highest settings on the mower...