PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here work for a vehicle registry?

Cooked Rice
05-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Tried getting a OOP form for a car I brought in from Japan today. This is my second RHD I own. Was surprised today when the agent told me the car wasn't in the "system" yet and told me to return Monday cause they had to call some lady to get it put in. Confused as this was not the case with my first vehicle, I left. Upon reviewing the Importation form from Transport that got stamped by Customs, i noticed a part they completed stating that it is exempt from being entered in the Import Registrar due to it being 15 years old. Anyone able to shed some light on this? Maybe the agent overlooked it?

dj_rice
05-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I believe dannie does

guessboi
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Just FYI...insurance is similar, insurance companies have to confirm and manually add it to the system.

Cooked Rice
05-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Went to a different Registry today, reminded the agent that the car is RIV exempt, pointed to the section on Form1 that states this, and got my OOP Request Form with no issues.

I assume the agent I dealt with yesterday, looked it up in the RIV, didn't find it, assumed it was just not entered by Transport Canada yet, and sent me away. Just never processed one that was exempt before I figure and didn't know how to look for it on the Form1. With most cars that come from the USA, RIV is required, and Transport will enter it in the system within a few days of them getting their copy of the form. Cars that are exempt ie. JDMs, will never be entered in the RIV.

dannie
05-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Not that it matters now, but i'm wondering if the clerk just worded what they were trying to say - wrong. Even though it is exempt from RIV, the clerk is still required to do their due diligence and check one of our systems for the vehicle. The system we use for that check had a few glitches thru the day Saturday and around 12 on Sunday which would have prohibited them from completing the oop request. Perhaps that was it? If not... meh, at least it's done :)

Either way, you are correct. Once the vehicle is over 15 yrs, it is not required to be part of the RIV system regardless of it coming from Japan or the US.

Best of luck with your inspection :)