PDA

View Full Version : Audi Avants A3/A4/S4/RS4/

Sorath
05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Does anyone have any information on these? and what to stay away from? etc. looking to replace my daily driver.

I like the space and the fact that its awd for winter.

Probably looking for an 07+ for under 30

cam_wmh
05-05-2013, 01:44 AM
You can't get RS4 Avant's in North America. (you can start importing the original, B5 RS4's in a year or so -- 99 model)

I suggest, a A4 B7 2.0T S-Line Avant (05.5 - 08), or an A4 B6 Ultrasport Avant (02 - 05.5)
They can be found around 20's, but are unicorns.

On the 1.8T & 2.0T, make sure timing belt has been changed at 100k. Get a full PPI. It's a German car, reliability notoriety isn't their strong selling point. ;)

Also to consider:
The B6 & B7 S4 Avant (02-08), use the 4.2 V8. It's heavy, and a pig on gas. It sounds epic, and pulls well. Good version can be found under 30. Eyes peeled. The autos are tips. (meh)

Stay away from A3's. Their interior's are dated, (in comparison to the Mk4/Mk5 VW's of the same years), and dont have the premium as you'd find on the rest of the Audi line in comparison to VW. You can't get them with a stick & Quattro in North America.
As well, approximately %20 of them have Quattro. Most are of the 2.0T FWD variety.

Hope this helps.

gulfstorm
05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I own both A3 Sportback ('12) and A4 Avant ('09)

A3 is a lot of fun to drive. Although its FWD it handles very well and has good amount of cargo space. There was a change in the 2.0 engine between 08/09 MY TSI vs FSI but the output hasnt really changed. Although dual clutch transmission is great, mine is manual and I prefer it that way. Reliability is fairly good on these and I am not aware of any problem areas.

A4 is a great vehicle. BIG change in 09 with the intro of B8 platform. Also small change in output in 2.0T and more rear bias from the quattro. I bought a certified pre-owned. It has cargo space that rivals SUVs. Common problem areas is excessive oil consumption (recall fix in most cases). Mine has over 90k and runs great!

Either way the 2.0T is very modifiable and capable of getting around 270hp with an ECU and intake alone. There is also an option of 3.2 N/A engine but in my opinion 2.0T is a better choice.

Hope this helps.

blitz
05-06-2013, 10:03 AM
I had a A3 (FWD, 2.0T, Manual) and now own a B7 S4 Avant.

If you want a stick shift, get an A4 as it comes with AWD. If you want an automatic, get an A3 as it comes with a DSG vs the normal auto in an A4.

A3 was a good car, fun to drive, decent on gas and pretty practical.

Love my S4, but between timing chain guide replacement, valve seals and scored cylinder walls, there's a lot of expensive things that can go wrong with them.

Sorath
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
not looking at fwd, as you can see my OP. specifically awd, i know the 2.0tsi motor is great as i am driving an 09 gti DSG right now for a daily. However because i play hockey 4-5 times a week, im looking to get a wagon for the additional space + awd for the winter.

My ideal car is either a B7 or B8 A4 Avant, auto or manual doesnt really matter for me as my gf drives both.

Good to know that its not a DSG in the A4 though.

Originally i was looking at buying an A3 but they are impossible to find in a Quattro unless you go newer 09+

DeleriousZ
05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
All I know about them is that I get a halfer every time I see a nicely modified a/s4 avant.

The awd a3's are haldex aren't they? Similar to the TT? And only available with the 3.2 vr6 engine?

Xtrema
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
Good to know that its not a DSG in the A4 though.

The only DSG in the B6/7/8 line is 2010+ S4.

But 2011+ A4 Avant's (rare) 8sp is very good.

gulfstorm
05-06-2013, 10:51 AM
B8 A4 Avant is your best bet then! Although not a wet clutch DSG, tiptronic is pretty amazing for an auto. If you can, look for one with drive select. It was a factory option that includes adjustable dampers, throttle, shift quality, steering etc. I really enjoy that feature on mine.

You should be able to get one under 30 for sure!

No manual option for avants 09+

Sorath
05-06-2013, 11:22 AM
any reliability issues? haha, i think that was my main concern with these vehicles, never owned an audi before

gulfstorm
05-06-2013, 11:34 AM
The biggest concern is the oil consumption as I mentioned earlier. Up to a liter per 1000 km. There is some conflicting information as to why but some say there were vehicles that had bad air/oil separator leading to increase in crankcase pressure....other cases are related to bad piston/rings.

In any case providing the vehicle was serviced regulary Audi Canada is fairly good at performing this work out of warranty if necessary. I am not sure how many cars were affected by this and its not limited to one year either.

Other small issues include vibrations at low speed due to prematurely worn control arms.

Other than that I haven't heard of any major issues.

These are hard to find vehicles. Good luck.

sillysod
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
B7 S4 Avant /thread

You can get the 2.0T and put about 6k into it and it will dismantle the S4 if you can't find a nice one. Just stay away from the V6's.

The A3 is nice, but it's a GTI with leather and the RS4 motors have major carbon problems. Regardless maintenance on any of these is going to be key.

Sorath
05-06-2013, 01:31 PM
not really looking to mod, just daily drive stock, wont even chip it. i already have a summer toy to mod, although im pretty much almost done :rofl:

schocker
05-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I have been looking into the B8's and they are very rare. I have been looking mostly in the US as of late and they are just as rare there also (In premium plus trim with decent mileage). I have found I think (2) 2010 P+ avants in the US if you are interested to see those details as I have them all in a spreadsheet I made :facepalm: