PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to reset GM security?

nuclearbroccoli
05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
So finally got my wife's car towed home (never calling that company again..).
Finally figured out the battery was so corroded and old that it wasn't getting enough power to the starter. I took the terminals off, and cleaned everything, and now the starter works again. However...
When I try to start the car, it cranks, but won't actually start, and the security light on the dash flashes as soon as the key is in the on position. It will flash for about 10 minutes, go solid, then go out if I leave the key in the on position. Car still won't start though, so I think I activated the passlock system. The car is a 2002 Chevy Cavalier, and as far as I can tell, just has the basic key without any chip or anything.
Based on what I've read online, here's what I've tried already:

1. Used the original fob to lock and unlock the car.
2. Turned the key to on, left it until the security light turned off, put it into the off position for 20 seconds, and then tried to start the car.
3. Turned the key to on, left it until the security light turned off, then tried to start the car without moving it to the off position.
4. Turned the key to on, left it until the security light stopped flashing and stayed solid, turned to the off position and waited 20 seconds, and then tried to start the car.
5. Turned the key to the on position, waited 10 seconds, then tried to start the car.

I'm positive the battery was the issue as the electrical was being erratic yesterday when it wouldn't start, but all of it works perfectly now with the battery cleaned up.

Anyone out there ever have to reset the security and can explain to me how to do so? I tried to find a dealer that was open Sunday with no luck, and I desperately need to get her car running today as she has to work tomorrow.

revelations
05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Reset_a_pass_lock_key_on_a_2002_Chevy_cavalier

:dunno:

RickDaTuner
05-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by revelations
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Reset_a_pass_lock_key_on_a_2002_Chevy_cavalier

:dunno:

This is the methode, if 5 seconds after 10 mins (x3) doesn't work, you'll need to do it again with 30 second intervals.

THE GOVERNATOR
05-05-2013, 10:13 PM
should reset within 10 mins of being left in the on position. If that does not work either the ECM or the BCM may have logged the security fault, You may have to get that cleared before it before you can preform the Passlock Relearn.

nuclearbroccoli
05-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Yup! That method works like a charm. After posting, I called Canadian Tire (What? They were the only ones open on a Sunday!), and spent another 45 minutes searching before finally stumbling across it myself. There are a lot of variations on the method, and some aren't written clearly..

Thank you for the responses everyone. Car runs fine now, and has a new battery so this doesn't happen again. Serves me right for not replacing it earlier..