PDA

View Full Version : 1.35 million kilometers and still runs great.

Graham_A_M
05-05-2013, 09:05 PM
So, here is our 1995 Ford F250. I bought it at a job I had about 7 years ago working in the oil patch, it had 1,280,000 km's on it when I got it. Its been up and down every single road in western Canada more times then I could possibly count. It used to be a service truck with a typical service body for a box (Hence the fact the box on it now is a different color since its off a different truck). I bought it off them for $300, along with a '97 F250 HD (with the gas chugging 460ci big block, and 500K on it, you can see it in the background actually) for another $300 on top of that.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/null_zps550f86da.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/media/null_zps550f86da.jpg.html)
^ Yes its towing about 3/4 of a ton of chemicals with about a half ton of shit in the back of it.
Whats really amazing, is that this truck was pulling a 1500 pound (diesel air compressor) trailer for the majority of those KM's, through ultra rough & very muddy forestry roads, to and from job sites.

Its all original, with only typical wear items such as starters, brakes, tires (etc). thats been replaced. Original engine, rear end & tranny.

Upon driving it, you just know its really been around the block more then a few times. Its getting tired, but still has yet to break down and we use it all the time for our farm.
It has the 5.7L 351 Windsor (gas) under the hood. With the auto tranny. 4wd and everything still works great on it.
This truck is like a very close, old friend. You can always depend on it, no matter how old it is. +38 to -34, it starts up and runs great everytime. We've honestly never had a single problem with it, even over the 7 years we've had it, with HOW many KM's it now has.

Man, I wish all trucks were this epic.... this thing is beyond words amazing.

It barely even burns oil, just barely. The engine can go for another 700k or so the mechanic says, without needing a single rebuild. :rofl: :rofl: Apparently the compression is decent:dunno:

IDK, I dont really have the (current) means to take this truck until its totally dead, but I'd sure love to see where that is. :D

bourge73
05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
That's an awesome story and one for Ford!
I'm sure they would love to hear it.
I knew the 5.0 /302 were great long lasting
Motors, awesome to hear about the 5.8/351 are too.
Interested to hear how long she goes haha.

haggis88
05-05-2013, 09:25 PM
sheer brilliance, only wish my Honda had lasted that long haha!

Graham_A_M
05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
^ Yeah man, we use it as our tow rig. Usually we tow around our 1800 pound water tank with it while that tank sits on a trailer, to get water for our farm. :dunno: It just deals with it like its no biggie. :dunno:
LOL its kind of funny having something you cannot possibly destroy.

dj_rice
05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Call up Ford Canada and explain your story. Maybe they will take it in and give you a brand new Ford F150

But your story goes to show, any car can drive forever if you take care of it properly.

MGCM
05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
its amazing what vehicles can do........if we properly care for them, and dont overly abuse them lol

Graham_A_M
05-05-2013, 09:51 PM
^ Oh its been abused lol. Probably driven by about 500 different people over its life. Shit kicked by most. :nut:

Unknown303
05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I swear that looks like this old Ford I used to drive when I worked for Flint. Those old trucks could be bagged and they wouldn't give up.

haggis88
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Call up Ford Canada and explain your story. Maybe they will take it in and give you a brand new Ford F150

the irony hits when the brand new truck gives in after a few thousand kilometers! :rofl:

they don't build em like they used to :cry:

Tik-Tok
05-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by haggis88

the irony hits when the brand new truck gives in after a few thousand kilometers! :rofl:

they don't build em like they used to :cry:

They can last just as long though. It depends on luck of the parts bin draw really. There's a reason you don't see very many of these, because all the rest are in the scrap yards, the ones that last just got good quality parts, with no defects.

sidewaysD
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Damn!!

Kolbatron
05-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Awesome story! I had a 1989 F-150 Lariat with the 5.8 (351) and it had 400K ams on it and ran like a top in all weather condition. I sold it for 200 bucks to some guy who ironically wanted it for the motor! :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
05-10-2013, 12:35 PM
No its funny, Im out at the farm right now. Last night I loaded up 900 liters of diesel in the back since we use the pup tank to fill up our tractors in the field, since we have no gas stations near by. Along with towing another 400 liters in a fuel trailer right behind it.
WTIW, 1000 liters = 1 metric ton. So 900 (+ 400 and the trailer) isn't pocket change to a 3/4 ton.
No probs whatsoever. :thumbsup: Lol it just deals with it and keeps going. Its wicked.... the truck that simply will not die.

Yeah its old, but it has an awesome character to it. Still lots of fun to boot around in.

Were extremely happy with it. Best $300 I've spend in, probably ever really. :rofl:

4wd, everything still works great on it. The A/C needs a recharge, but I couldn't care less.

Over the next week I have to put an AB plate on it, to avoid the OOP out here in Sask.

whiskas
05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Would it pass an OOP inspection?

masoncgy
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
That is awesome. Those old Ford trucks were tanks. I have been looking for something like that to pick up for hauling junk and perhaps a camper in the summer time.

With the last company I worked for, I had a '97 Chevy 2WD 1500 W/T with the 4.3L V6 and auto that had well over 500,000 km on the clock and it ran like a top. All original drivetrain too. The rest of the truck was crumbling (interior pieces, etc) but it was still a solid machine.

Graham_A_M
05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Would it pass an OOP inspection?
No idea, but given how picky they are, I'd rather not risk it, as they'll find something very stupid to fail it over that alone. Mechanically its fine, but you know how they are.... "Windsheid has a 2" crack, that may impede drivers vision therefore it fails". :rolleyes: It has a few faults like a lack of a license plate light (etc) so I know it wont pass due to shit like that alone.

By getting it plated and insured in AB where it was last registered, I dont have to worry about any of that.
So makes sense to me really. Since Im a AB resident, the Sask RCMP can't say shit about it that way.

I may have to bring it to Calgary to haul one of my trucks back to Sask, so perhaps I'll bring it to a beyond meet just for shits & giggles haha.
:D

Originally posted by Unknown303
I swear that looks like this old Ford I used to drive when I worked for Flint. Those old trucks could be bagged and they wouldn't give up.

It wouldn't surprise me. There was a Flint up in Whitecourt where I was working. WCT services (Whitecourt services) bought this a LONG time ago, put the vast majority of the KM's on it, then I later bought it from them back in March 2007.

So Maybe it is. If you look closely at the front passenger fender, you can see a blue "32" sticker on it, since this was one of their fleet vehicles. Would that be the same?