PDA

View Full Version : Worth fighting?

tulit
02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
I got a $115 ticket tonite for my license plate being dirty and the cop saying he couldnt read it (though it really wasnt THAT dirty).
He said I was doing it to get out of photo radar tickets :nut:
Is it worth fighting? Whats my defense?

Or should I go to the CP a week before my court date and just see if I can get the fine reduced? (Is this how it works? My court date is Mar 10, so do I go down on the 3rd? Where do I go from there?)

Anyone have experience with similar ticket?

Thanks.

GorG
02-19-2004, 07:35 PM
No experience in this area, i'm not sure if you can fight it but if you can do it, because thats just stupid. I know its illagal to have your licence plate cover, but if its dirty i dont think thats fair, expecially with the weather we have had. btw is your whole car just as dirty of lp or just it?

t3rry
02-19-2004, 07:37 PM
just goto court there is a very good chance the it will be thrown out before it even gets to court.. or the cop wont even show up for such a small offence.. and if not just tell them that you are sorry and it was very sloppy outside and hadn't made it to the car wash yet... they may reduce it, and they may not but it cant hurt to try

tulit
02-19-2004, 07:38 PM
nah the whole car was filthy. just got back from driving like 5 hours on the highway. it was dirty but i feel still readable. bah stupid cops

sxtasy
02-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I am sure you could get off that ticket man. The roads are so sloppy right now.

tulit
02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
If I do go to court, the worst case is that I pay $115 right? I wont be liable for anything else/more over that right?

hjr
02-19-2004, 07:41 PM
everything is worth fighting. unless you miss work and its actually cheaper to pay it.

jdmakkord
02-19-2004, 07:42 PM
You're good with your camera, take some pics with you to the c.p.

nismodrifter
02-19-2004, 07:44 PM
yeh, take some pics of your WHOLE CAR showing that its dirty because of the road conditions etc.....what a bullshit ticket

tulit
02-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah no kidding

Does anyone know how to actually go about this? I think Ill just go talk to the CP before the court date.

Just show up a week before my court date at 230-7th ave right?

Thanks guys.

JordanLotoski
02-19-2004, 08:47 PM
yes man fight it,, what are you supposed to do, evertime it gets dirty, stop..man all of calgary would be pulled over......and untill they make plate washers on cars i think youll get off..its not like u could have saw that it was dirty...wht a fuking gay cop

t3rry
02-19-2004, 08:50 PM
yea, just tel;l them, you were driving for 5 hours, what are you supposed to get out every 10Km and wash yer plate?

JordanLotoski
02-19-2004, 08:53 PM
u shoulda got out of your car, went tp the cop car and asked to see his plate.....i would have...fuk cops in this city are so lame

rc2002
02-19-2004, 10:57 PM
It must be getting pretty near quota time. The cops are rushing to get their quotas filled.

Go talk to the CP and he'll reduce the fine for you (almost guaranteed). Be prepared to wait a few hours to see him though.

When I first started fighting tickets, nobody was ever there. Then ever since the rates went up, the lineups have been ridiculous.

JordanLotoski
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
fuk man everyone whos got a ticket we should all go together...lol....least we will have sumting to talk about and to talk to...so damn uncomforable there

i gotta ticket to get rid of...

tulit
02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
haha. Do I hear a beyond.ca meet at the court house?

:)

sputnik
02-20-2004, 09:01 AM
take a digital picture of the plate to prove that it was still readable

Zero102
02-21-2004, 12:35 AM
LOL a beyond meet at the courthouse.
That would really help the image of the board.
Maybe the person at the booth would put a beyond sticker on the glass?
lol....
Sorry.

davidI
02-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
LOL a beyond meet at the courthouse.
That would really help the image of the board.
Maybe the person at the booth would put a beyond sticker on the glass?
lol....
Sorry.

bi-monthly beyond meets at the CP's office :tongue:

kenny
02-21-2004, 12:51 AM
One word of advice, use a film based camera to take pictures as they don't like digital photos, even if its printed.

However, in this case I really doubt you need to make much of an argument to get that ticket thrown out. Its been really sloppy out there, and the CP/Justice of Peace people are really reasonable.

tulit
02-21-2004, 08:35 AM
I had to clean the plate off right away and unfortunately had no camera with me. Oh well. I will go talk to the CP and see what he says. I'm willing to pay like 40bux, but not 115!

civic_ek4
02-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Like many of them said take some pictures AND you said you were on the highway for the past few hours right. Bring some fuel receipt showing that you were out somewhere to back it up.
Good luck

403Gemini
02-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by tulit
haha. Do I hear a beyond.ca meet at the court house?

:)

id show up, i have court date on march 3rd lol

i think its bs too especially since your car is covered in dirt, but maybe he didnt know you just got off high way :dunno: cause you could just be a lazy mofo that didnt wash your car for like a month ;)

i think its a bs ticket too, but i dont think its a bs ticket when i see peeps with snow on theier liscence plate cause they are to fuckin lazy to take 10 seconds to wipe off the snow

nine8civicSi
02-22-2004, 03:53 PM
lol i cout one sometime in march too!!