PDA

View Full Version : she dies and i dont know why? :(

chulito
05-06-2013, 10:18 PM
hey guys got a quick question for ya.

bought a 99 civic. cheap deal. one thing that happens for my luck. it dies all of the sudden. i could be driving or sitting at a red light and sometimes she dies. happens almost every time i drive it. no matter how long. cold or hot.

checked fuses
checked grounds (might add one more for precaution)
alternator pumping 14V

50% of the time car will try to die like flickring lights and power and comes back to live. but then eventually die after a few minutes.

the one thing that catches me is the ignition. when i put the key in and i turn it to the first click, stereo comes on. Nothing else. good. Then i turn it a little more, stereo keeps on but nothing else turns on (at this moment i would expect dash to come on, fuel pump to prime and so on. but no). If i turn it a little bit more without doing a full swing to turn it on, the dash comes on and everything else fuel pump primes. Cool. Now i do the full swing to turn engine over but i have to hold it at the last click for a couple of seconds for the car to stay on. If i just do this last turn normally and release it like any other car it wont turn on. I need to hold it for two seconds then release carefully for it to stay on.

This is driving me nuts and cant get whats wrong. Thought about main relay. maybe? Just not sure why it wont turn dash and fuel pump on on second click and specially why i need to hold it on the third last one for the car to stay on.

Helps are much appreciate.

Thank you kindly

Stewjoe
05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I had an older car do that. The harmonic damper/crank pulley was warped/bent and the crank position sensor would occasionally shut down the car with no CEL.

m10-power
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Sounds like your ignition switch is done

B4YB8KR7y-8

sabad66
05-06-2013, 10:48 PM
how good is your battery?

firebane
05-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Check the ignitor or coil.

Ignitor is a common failure point of which the behavior you are having happens.

jcox20
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I would guess the battery as a first thing to check.

tobypaddock
05-06-2013, 11:54 PM
similar thing happened to an old grand prix of mine, new spark plugs n cables did the trick

chulito
05-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Tank you guys. Thanks to your replies ive been digging a little harder.

Seems like it is a major deal for these type of year cars. Recall has been made by American Motor Honda Co. My only concern is to know if this applies in Canada as well.

I will call a dealership tomorrow and try my luck. itch i my very first suspect ATM....

Found this in a honda-tech thread - http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2811897

Summer 2002

Important Safety Recall: Ignition Switch

Dear Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey or Prelude Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd., has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1997 thru 2000 Honda automobiles. Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda dealer, and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. The dealer will install an improved ignition switch, free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealership for half a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.

Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your vehicle, without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60 days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair appointment), you may submit a complaint to:

Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error.
Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee of a Honda vehicle involved in this recall. If this is not the case, or the name/address information is incorrect, please fill out and return the included, postage-paid Information Change Card. We will then update our records.

If you paid to have a defective ignition switch replaced sometime in the past, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Refer to the attached Instructions for Reimbursement for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure.

If you have questions.
If you have questions about this notice, or need assistance with contacting a Honda dealer, please call Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Division

Here is one of the recall notices posted on NHTSA boards.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 02V120000
Date Owner's Notified: 2002-06-14 Date Received by ODI: 2002-05-16 Date Added to Database: 2002-05-20
Manufacturers Involved: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall:
Manufacturer Campaign Number:
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1000000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.
Consequence:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Report Initiator: MFR V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT '1-888-327-4236'.

chulito
05-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Alright. Finally managed to register myself in Canada Honda get my car in and found out that the recall also applies to Canada. There was a letter sent out by K. Ansari
Executive Vice-Preside.

I will get it fixed and let you guys know about the result. Thank you so much for your help. Spread the word lol

September 2002
Safety Recall: Ignition Switch
Dear Honda Owner:
We are sending this letter to notify you of a potential problem with your vehicle.
What is the problem?
Honda Motor Co. Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on
certain 1998-2000 Civic, 1997-99 CR-V, Accord, Odyssey and Prelude vehicles. Electrical contacts in the ignition
switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts
could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls
while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you’re at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine
(e.g., hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing.
What should you do?
Contact your Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your car repaired. They will change the ignition
switch. This repair will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle for at least half a day to allow the
dealer flexibility in scheduling.
Please note – Honda Motor Co. Ltd. does not approve or recommend the modification of your vehicle with after
market accessories. If your vehicle’s ignition system has been modified in any way since leaving the factory (by the
addition of after market accessories like a remote starter, security system or audio system) Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will
not assume the liability, or the cost, of the reconnection of the after market accessory if it was required to be
disconnected to perform the recall repair. Please check with your dealer if your vehicle has been modified with after
market components.
Notification of this recall has been provided to you in accordance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Honda Motor
Co. Ltd. encourages you to have this safety recall repair performed on your vehicle.
Who to contact if you experience problems:
If the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary recall repair free of charge, you may contact Honda Canada’s
Customer Relations Department at the telephone number or address below.
If you need assistance with locating a Honda dealer, please contact Honda Canada’s Customer Relations
Department at the telephone number or address below.
What to do if our information is incorrect:
This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this
vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please fill out and return the included postage paid Information
Change Card or forward this notice to the new owner if possible.
If you paid to have a defective ignition switch replaced sometime in the past, you may be eligible for reimbursement.
Please contact your dealer to obtain a copy of the reimbursement form.
Thank you for your co-operation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Sincerely,
K. Ansari
Executive Vice-Preside