PDA

View Full Version : 96-00 Civic Si - What gas? Regular or Premium?

BokCh0y
05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a stock 96-00 (EM1) Civic Si for the boy. Didn't come with a owners manual, also couldn't find anything anywhere on the gas tank or gauge cluster on whether to use regular or premium. I think because it's just a stock "d" series, I should be safe using regular? SOHC 4 Cylinder 127hp.

Checked out a few forums and general consensus regular, but thought i'd check here with locals instead of the "muricans".

Thanks.

scboss
05-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Regular is fine. If it was a SIR then you would want premium

hamkered
05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Used regular on my old one. Ran just fine.

BokCh0y
05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Cool, thanks guys:thumbsup:

slinkie
05-07-2013, 11:29 PM
keep an eye on the oil for d16y8.

SportEL
05-07-2013, 11:31 PM
EM1 is the Cdn SiR. You would have an EJ8. Regular is fine.

BokCh0y
05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification, new to Honda...but ask me about Toyota's and i'm a different person :D

So this is a EJ8.

Slinkie - How come to keep an eye on the oil? Does it burn it or something? Any recommendations for oil? I was just going to grab an OEM Honda oil filter and some castro 5w30 high mileage oil for a quick change. :dunno:

firebane
05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Thanks for the clarification, new to Honda...but ask me about Toyota's and i'm a different person :D

So this is a EJ8.

Slinkie - How come to keep an eye on the oil? Does it burn it or something? Any recommendations for oil? I was just going to grab an OEM Honda oil filter and some castro 5w30 high mileage oil for a quick change. :dunno:

What year and make is the car specifically. Saying a 96-00 doesn't say much as there was changes in those years especially body changes.

Oil burning is a problem with vtec motors because of improper maintenance to the vtec solenoid.

BokCh0y
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by firebane

What year and make is the car specifically. Saying a 96-00 doesn't say much as there was changes in those years especially body changes.

Oil burning is a problem with vtec motors because of improper maintenance to the vtec solenoid.

Besides the body and some interior chagnes, aren't they the same engine and tranny?

Thanks for the oil info. It doesn't leak or burn anything as far as I know so far.

firebane
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Besides the body and some interior chagnes, aren't they the same engine and tranny?

Thanks for the oil info. It doesn't leak or burn anything as far as I know so far.

You said EM1 as well as Si as well as D series.

EM1s usually came with a B series.