PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to AC?

woodywoodford
05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
just wondering what anybody does with their cooking hot apartments, if they're not allowed to install AC units. Last summer I had 4 fans going all day every day (top floor unit gets HOT) and already the place is turning into an oven for this season. Do those dyson hot & cold fans actually cool the air at all? Are there other options?

firebane
05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-air-conditioner/

Alterac
05-08-2013, 10:45 AM
If you have sliding windows, you can get a few window fans, and have them exhaust all day, and as soon as the tempurature outside is less than inside, set one to intake and create a breeze through your place.

Also, if the hallway has nice AC in it, open the door, and keep the fans exhausting.

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
How would they know if you brought in a portable A/C unit? Usually when you aren't allowed to install A/C it's because they don't want noise on the outside, or condensers on the outside of the building. You wouldn't have either with a portable A/C.

Other than insulated window coverings, opening windows at night, and fans, there is nothing else you can do short of keeping a damp towel on your head or something. I had the same problem and A/C was literally the only solution. I used to see 26-30 degrees C in my place on the regular. I could get it to drop 1-2 degrees at night max, which wasn't enough. Now my bedroom is an icy 19 degree C whenever I want, and it's amazing.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
How would they know if you brought in a portable A/C unit?

:werd:

Just disguise the window outlet somehow (like have the vent tube going through a fan, so it just looks like a fan from the outside) , and have it drain into a bucket in the apartment.

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
You won't even need the drain bucket if you buy a dripless unit.

I have this one and it's AWESOME. Super powerful, cleanable/reusable filter, and no water to ever drain:

http://www.costco.ca/LG%C2%AE-13%2c000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner.product.10350462.html

It's also $10 cheaper in-store lol.

There is no way anyone would ever know I had it unless I let someone into my unit to check.

nzwasp
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I see alot of portable AC that fit windows but in my main bedroom the window would be far to large to fit one of these units. Am i only supposed to use these units in the small windows in the lounge and bonus room?

Im talking about the units that sit in the windows not the ones like from costco above.

v2kai
05-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I see alot of portable AC that fit windows but in my main bedroom the window would be far to large to fit one of these units. Am i only supposed to use these units in the small windows in the lounge and bonus room?

Im talking about the units that sit in the windows not the ones like from costco above.

most come with block off accessories to fill the vacant space when installed in a window larger than the ac unit itself. or you can fab up your own out of wood

woodywoodford - I would get a portable unit or if you already have a window mount unit, convert it to a portable setup. not as efficient as a dedicated portable setup but better than nothing and relatively quite cheap.

taemo
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
You won't even need the drain bucket if you buy a dripless unit.

I have this one and it's AWESOME. Super powerful, cleanable/reusable filter, and no water to ever drain:

http://www.costco.ca/LG%C2%AE-13%2c000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner.product.10350462.html

It's also $10 cheaper in-store lol.

There is no way anyone would ever know I had it unless I let someone into my unit to check.

for how many seasons have you had it?
read lots of reviews where people store it in the winter then in the summer it doesn't work anymore.
how well does the kit work in the window? does it block road noise and does it work with windows that opens sidewayS?

flipstah
05-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Ice block. Fan. Win.

v2kai
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Ice block. Fan. Win.

Ice block. Fan. Water.

revelations
05-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Tint your sun-facing windows with vinyl tint. HUGE heat difference in my condo.

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by taemo

for how many seasons have you had it?
read lots of reviews where people store it in the winter then in the summer it doesn't work anymore.
how well does the kit work in the window? does it block road noise and does it work with windows that opens sidewayS?

I just bought it a couple weeks ago, so I can't provide long-term feedback.

Reviews on LG's website, costco, amazon, and other places were very positive for the most part.

The few "poor" reviews were often later edited with an update with the user admitting they did no install it properly (Used way too many bends in the hose, or something similar).

I do not use a window kit, I physically cut a hole in the bottom of my balcony door precisely the size of the vent, and then I screwed to the door. It's the cleanest possible install. In the winter I have the piece I cut out of the door to just pop back in.

I don't get much road noise because my door is shut and I just cut the hole in the door for the vent. I measured it at 50 db though, which according to my meter is the same as "light rain". I would say it would overpower any road noise.

It works with windows that open upwards or sideways. My "windows" are big patio french doors, which is why I had to cut a hole in them. If you have "normal" windows the install would take 2 minutes. It even comes with weather stripping to surround the window kit with.

codetrap
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Alternatively, you could by some plexiglas and a DIY window screen kit. I used the metal to frame around the plexi, and then put taped on foam around the outside edge to seal it off. It was nicely weatherproof to keep the AC in the window. You could easily adapt that for one of the floor units.

woodywoodford
05-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Do these portable units make much noise? I could probably stick one in the kitchen window, but I'd have to figure out how to make sure the landlords didn't see the hose in the window (pretty clear view from the street).
Alternatively, I have sliding glass patio doors. Would it work if I just opened the door say 6", stuck the hose in the bottom part, left the screen door shut, and then didn't block off anything above the hose? Or would that allow too much warm air in so that the AC wouldn't make a difference? I use the patio a lot so putting something in there to seal it off would be a pain in the ass.

Either way, that's definitely what I'm looking for.

nzwasp
05-10-2013, 10:31 AM

I just bought it a couple weeks ago, so I can't provide long-term feedback.

Reviews on LG's website, costco, amazon, and other places were very positive for the most part.

The few "poor" reviews were often later edited with an update with the user admitting they did no install it properly (Used way too many bends in the hose, or something similar).

I do not use a window kit, I physically cut a hole in the bottom of my balcony door precisely the size of the vent, and then I screwed to the door. It's the cleanest possible install. In the winter I have the piece I cut out of the door to just pop back in.

I don't get much road noise because my door is shut and I just cut the hole in the door for the vent. I measured it at 50 db though, which according to my meter is the same as "light rain". I would say it would overpower any road noise.

It works with windows that open upwards or sideways. My "windows" are big patio french doors, which is why I had to cut a hole in them. If you have "normal" windows the install would take 2 minutes. It even comes with weather stripping to surround the window kit with.

sounds solid im gonna pick one up today, and well with costco if it doesnt work next year i'll just take it back and get my money back.

ExtraSlow
05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
the portable AC units don't make much noise outside, the noise is more inside the room. I had one when I was in an apartment, and it was good enough to keep my bedroom cool, but if I left the door open, it was not strong enough to cool my entire apartment.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Do these portable units make much noise? I could probably stick one in the kitchen window, but I'd have to figure out how to make sure the landlords didn't see the hose in the window (pretty clear view from the street).
Alternatively, I have sliding glass patio doors. Would it work if I just opened the door say 6", stuck the hose in the bottom part, left the screen door shut, and then didn't block off anything above the hose? Or would that allow too much warm air in so that the AC wouldn't make a difference? I use the patio a lot so putting something in there to seal it off would be a pain in the ass.

Either way, that's definitely what I'm looking for.

Noise is around 50dB in your apartment, and basically zero outside. Ambient noise in the middle of the night is way louder than the sound of your A/C venting air outside. Nothing to worry about there.

These are apparently 50dB equivalents:

50 decibels, equivalent to quiet radio, light rain, average home, light traffic at a distance of 100 feet, refrigerator, gentle breeze, average office, non-electric typewriter, ordinary spoken voice.

You wouldn't want to leave part of your patio door open, you would want to block that. It comes with a kit that will block most if not all of it, so you could just add to that if you had to. You wouldn't be able to really use that door though, while the AC was on, without giving up a lot of efficiency.

The hose outlet isn't' very big - the hose itself is 4-5" diameter, but the end has a diffuser on it that tapers right down to 2-3" wide. I really don't think it would be easily noticed from the street. You could disguise it pretty easily if you had to, I would think. You want to use the shortest possible hose length, with the fewest bends.

This pic shows what the end of the vent hose is like, as well as the install kit. The kit works vertically too.

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Categories/Appliances/Heating_Cooling_AirQual/Air_Conditioners/Hero/Images/3_7_AC_Hero_02.jpg

woodywoodford
05-10-2013, 11:07 AM

Noise is around 50dB in your apartment, and basically zero outside. Ambient noise in the middle of the night is way louder than the sound of your A/C venting air outside. Nothing to worry about there.

You wouldn't want to leave part of your patio door open, you would want to block that. It comes with a kit that will block most if not all of it, so you could just add to that if you had to. You wouldn't be able to really use that door though, while the AC was on, without giving up a lot of efficiency.

The hose outlet isn't' very big - the hose itself is 4-5" diameter, but the end has a diffuser on it that tapers right down to 2-3" wide. I really don't think it would be easily noticed from the street. You could disguise it pretty easily if you had to, I would think. You want to use the shortest possible hose length, with the fewest bends.

This pic shows what the end of the vent hose is like, as well as the install kit. The kit works vertically too.

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Categories/Appliances/Heating_Cooling_AirQual/Air_Conditioners/Hero/Images/3_7_AC_Hero_02.jpg

For comparison sake, how does 50 DB compare to say a typical fan? I'm not worried about noise as I'm probably on the noisiest street in Calgary as it is, but for curiosity? Otherwise gonna go find one tonight probably.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2013, 11:10 AM

For comparison sake, how does 50 DB compare to say a typical fan? I'm not worried about noise as I'm probably on the noisiest street in Calgary as it is, but for curiosity? Otherwise gonna go find one tonight probably.

I edited my post with sound equivalents.

I'd say it's as loud as a tower fan or oscillating fan on high. And that's only inside your apartment - outside noise is essentially zero unless you put your ear up to the hose outlet. 90% of the noise is from the fan in the A/C, so it's like any other fan. The compressor makes almost no noise.

If you don't get this one from Costco, get one that is dripless so you don't risk water damage. These LG ones evaporate the water into the hot exhaust air. Those Danby ones that everyone sells aren't dripless and have a lot of very negative reviews (leaks, etc.).

codetrap
05-10-2013, 12:43 PM
This may be a stupid question.. but how can your landlord say anything about if you open a window and put a non-permanent thing in it? I can see having a caveat about installing an in Window AC, as that usually requires structural modifications. However one of these little portable units is no different structurally than a window fan.

You're not going to damage anything. Politely tell them that you're not changing anything, or damaging anything, and that you followed the install instructions, therefore they have no grounds to dictate to you what you can do in this situation.

rage2
05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
This may be a stupid question.. but how can your landlord say anything about if you open a window and put a non-permanent thing in it? I can see having a caveat about installing an in Window AC, as that usually requires structural modifications. However one of these little portable units is no different structurally than a window fan.

You're not going to damage anything. Politely tell them that you're not changing anything, or damaging anything, and that you followed the install instructions, therefore they have no grounds to dictate to you what you can do in this situation.
I think it has more to do with adhering to the condo board rules, which can be pretty draconian.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
My guess is they just don't want people installing exterior condensers or loud window units. Or if power is included in your condo fees. Those are the only possible reasons to ban A/C.

woodywoodford
05-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah, they cover power so I just assume that's why

codetrap
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I can see Rage's point about the condo board rules... but are they really going to fine you for putting a window fan in? As long as nothing is extruding, tell them pound sand. :)

Even power is iffy, run that thing 24x7 and it'll be along the lines of $60/month in power. Most people don't run them like that... I think last summer my bill went up like $10 or so from running that monster I put in the window. (Completely worth it too, not sweating my balls off watching tv in the evening.

I should throw it on the killawatt when I reinstall it this summer, and figure it out exactly.

Edit: OP, post the relevant section of the condo board rules. I did a little googling, and any of them that exclude AC are very specific that it's only window mounted units. Not floor standing units.

Disoblige
05-10-2013, 02:23 PM
I just strategically place my fans so my place circulates better. Funny thing is that the apartment hallway has AC, but the suites don't. So I open my door and blow the air to cool down my place :rofl:

woodywoodford
05-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm actually a rental, hence my concern - I'm already on strike three (party's, smoking) so don't want to get kicked out, but at the same time I simply cannot sleep when my unit is 30+ degrees inside. It's on my lease so I should probably dig that out and read it, but I think I've found my solution. Even if I'm not allowed the portable unit, they'll never know it's there.

So can I get that LG anywhere else in the city, for the same price? I don't have a Costco membership and don't know anybody who does.

codetrap
05-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm actually a rental, hence my concern - I'm already on strike three (party's, smoking) so don't want to get kicked out, but at the same time I simply cannot sleep when my unit is 30+ degrees inside. It's on my lease so I should probably dig that out and read it, but I think I've found my solution. Even if I'm not allowed the portable unit, they'll never know it's there.

So can I get that LG anywhere else in the city, for the same price? I don't have a Costco membership and don't know anybody who does.

I'm sure you do. There are ton's of people with costco memberships... or you can ask them for a day pass IIRC.. otherwise, take the online price and PM them to another store like Best Buy, or Sears.. hell, even CT.

If it comes right down to it, I'd be willing to meet you at the RockyRidge one and let you use my card to buy it.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2013, 03:09 PM

You can order online without a membership, just have it shipped to your parents or friends house so it isn't as obvious.

If not, I'm sure you must know someone with a membership (friends, parents, etc.). If not, someone one here can probably help you out with that. I tag along with my parents' membership.

I didn't see that LG anywhere else in the city for sale, but I didn't scour around for it either. At least with COSTCO you can return it for literally any reason, at any time, so you get peace of mind there in case they make you remove it or if it breaks.

woodywoodford
05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Yeah I've been looking also, Home Depot has a 12,000 BTU unit available. I grabbed a costco card off a coworker so will give it a try tonight.

If I grab the HD unit, is 12,000 BTU enough for a ~600 sq ft apartment with lots of sun? Getting mixed answers to that on google.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah I've been looking also, Home Depot has a 12,000 BTU unit available. I grabbed a costco card off a coworker so will give it a try tonight.

If I grab the HD unit, is 12,000 BTU enough for a ~600 sq ft apartment with lots of sun? Getting mixed answers to that on google.

According to my LG box/manual, 13,000 BTU is good for 500 sq ft, so 12,000 BTU will be working too hard in 600 sq ft + sun IMO.

That is probably assuming absolutely ideal conditions as well, such as an extremely short exhaust hose with no bends in it.

If you want to try cool your entire place get at least 13,000-14,000 BTU. Even that will probably be a little light though, that thing is going to be running 24/7 if you want it to be 20 degrees or so in there. It'll probably drop it a few degrees though.

I use mine in a 144 sq ft bedroom and it can drop it from 28 to 19-20 degrees in a matter of minutes.

Darell_n
05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Do you pay for your water consumption? If the answer is no you can have free cooling for your apartment with a proper air heat exchanger using cold tap water. Good environmentally? Not at all.

Xtrema
05-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't see any issue with that LG unit except window fitment.

But in case they bitach on that too....

http://www.compactappliance.com/EAC211TS-Portable-EdgeStar-Air-Cooler-With-Air-Purification/EAC211TS,default,pd.html?cgid=Air_Quality

This is slightly better than fan but no where near the ability of AC.

Since it's ice pack and recirculating water based, it's only good for a few hours before it just turn into a normal fan. Sometimes just enough to til the sun goes completely out and cools down and only good for a small bedroom.

woodywoodford
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Well grabbed the LG... so far has cooled my bedroom to the perfect sleeping temperature, but I get the idea it isn't going to do a lot for the living room area. Cool air doesn't seem to escape the bedroom door. So 13,000 BTU to cool my bedroom to 17*C? Overkill probably, but I'll take it.

Also, holy fuck that thing is heavy by the third floor. Never again.

codetrap
05-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Put one of those little turbo fan's in your room to blow the cool air into your living room. They work like a charm.

Maxt
05-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Do you pay for your water consumption? If the answer is no you can have free cooling for your apartment with a proper air heat exchanger using cold tap water. Good environmentally? Not at all.
We kept an 8 story building cool downtown with city water while the new chiller was delayed. Kept the building livable for 2 weeks. Not sure what their water bill was like having a 2" main open for 10 hours a day.:nut:

nzwasp
05-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Well grabbed the LG... so far has cooled my bedroom to the perfect sleeping temperature, but I get the idea it isn't going to do a lot for the living room area. Cool air doesn't seem to escape the bedroom door. So 13,000 BTU to cool my bedroom to 17*C? Overkill probably, but I'll take it.

Also, holy fuck that thing is heavy by the third floor. Never again.

Yeah i carried mine up the stairs and all the way to the bonus room before i realized that it had wheels.

The window fitment is quite useless when the wind picks up though - I wish the hose would just stay in the window part. Im going to have to glue it I reckon.

clem24
05-14-2013, 10:16 AM
For a temp setup, I just use a piece of cardboard.. Cut it out to the size of the window, and one cut out for the outlet hose and voila.

Be careful that it DOES get loud OUSIDE, depending on the size of your outlet hose. On ours, I can clearly hear it from the street and it's on the side of the house on the 2nd storey. It sounds like the sucking noise from the end of a vacuum cleaner.

A small unit won't be enough to cool a big room and becomes pointless (I tried in our bonus room on those stifling hot July days last year). Also you don't want too big a unit as you end up with a cold and clammy room (A/C cools the room too fast without having a chance to de-humidify it).

nzwasp
05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I don't see any issue with that LG unit except window fitment.

But in case they bitach on that too....

http://www.compactappliance.com/EAC211TS-Portable-EdgeStar-Air-Cooler-With-Air-Purification/EAC211TS,default,pd.html?cgid=Air_Quality

This is slightly better than fan but no where near the ability of AC.

Since it's ice pack and recirculating water based, it's only good for a few hours before it just turn into a normal fan. Sometimes just enough to til the sun goes completely out and cools down and only good for a small bedroom.

That air cooler looks like something you could buy from T&T

woodywoodford
05-14-2013, 01:59 PM
So I've got a followup problem. My parents house always had a/c, but it's a fancy expensive central air unit, with humidifiers built in or something like that. This one does not. So since I've started using it, my nose is in BRUTAL pain from drying out. Any way around this? Really unfortunate that I've either got (a) an oven of an apartment, or (b) a sore, bloody nose all the time.

Tik-Tok
05-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Buy a humidifier. They're super easy to install.

Mitsu3000gt
05-14-2013, 02:17 PM
So I've got a followup problem. My parents house always had a/c, but it's a fancy expensive central air unit, with humidifiers built in or something like that. This one does not. So since I've started using it, my nose is in BRUTAL pain from drying out. Any way around this? Really unfortunate that I've either got (a) an oven of an apartment, or (b) a sore, bloody nose all the time.

Just run a humidifier by your bed as well.

My bedroom stays at around 25% humidity with, or without the A/C running. I haven't noticed it any drier, but I only run it for a couple hours at a time.