PDA

View Full Version : career change mid thirties?

nzwasp
05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I am sort of at a cross roads with my career. Ive been in it for 10 years. And no matter what I do (get different experience / get more certificates etc) I just can't seem to get out of a rut of only been paid around mid 70k. The only time I made more cash was when I was contracting but that even seems unstable in my industry.

Not only that I find my job to be thoroughly boring. And probably the reason I haven't attempted even higher certification is because it does not interest me.

In my day job I'm probably busy for 30 mins of each day for the week and I love jobs where I'm constantly busy, I haven't really ever encountered that in Canada yet.

Has anyone made the move out of (im in IT) their profession and into something entirely different and what was your experience like?

A790
05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Happened to me six months ago. Was working as a senior sales manager for Yellow Pages. Had a team of 10 people working under me, paid in the low 80's. Was fairly stable.

However, it just wasn't me. I took the jump, make a lot less now, but am doing things that I feel provide value to people. I feel better about it every day.

If you've got a bit of cash saved up, or have a second income source to provide for you for a while, I say do it. Make the jump. You only get to live once, so make sure you feel good about it!

CanmoreOrLess
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Have you spoken to someone in HR about this, I know of a person (relative) who was in a like position, every time he dusted off his resume to seek a more challenging position the HR office assigned him just what he wanted. The vast majority of drones are content in doing their job as is, and good for them as the world needs most to be drones (my entire family is made of drone DNA). Ask HR if you are in the position to do so, otherwise you already know the answer. Reduce expenses greatly, dump all debt and grind your current job while being open to another challenge. You'd be amazed at what comes along once you are free of the need to be working at the job you hate, your ears and eyes are open for opportunity and it will show up in due time.

ExtraSlow
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't know anything about IT careers or the pay scales that are possible, but it sounds ot me like you need a big change. Don't be afraid of the change, embrace it and get started on your new career as soon as possible.

Lex350
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Why don't you specialize more in IT. I have a buddy that did that. He works in high end IT storage and has his choice of jobs and makes about 110k + bonus

nzwasp
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Have you spoken to someone in HR about this, I know of a person (relative) who was in a like position, every time he dusted off his resume to seek a more challenging position the HR office assigned him just what he wanted. The vast majority of drones are content in doing their job as is, and good for them as the world needs most to be drones (my entire family is made of drone DNA). Ask HR if you are in the position to do so, otherwise you already know the answer. Reduce expenses greatly, dump all debt and grind your current job while being open to another challenge. You'd be amazed at what comes along once you are free of the need to be working at the job you hate, your ears and eyes are open for opportunity and it will show up in due time.

Yeah I'll have to check that out in December, I think at my work my current manager ultimately decides whether or not I can leave the group Im in and he bleeds people so im not sure how that would work.

Oh and I guess im in a more unique situation or perhaps a common one where my wife makes more than twice my annual salary so I sort of have flexibility to retrain. I just have to decide what I want to do, another beyonder from my client company suggest project management but I don't have much related experience, and Im not sure what the current certificate/training that is required for that. I have sure seen alot of young project managers around during my time in Calgary though.

npham
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I think you need a change in company more than a change to another field. There is so much money out there for good IT people. I contract now, and I am not worried about finding work if my current contract expires or is terminated. You probably need to do some networking and meet more people in the industry. I know there's a bunch of 100K+, some in the 150K+ people on Beyond. It's constantly challenging and rewarding(monetary and career wise) but you need a company that actually respects IT and sees technology as a tool and/or asset instead of a sunk cost.

Also, if you are not being pushed, it's probably time to move on.

Xtrema
05-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Are you sick of:

1) Tech?
2) Pay?
3) Boss(es)?
4) Job?

Answer:

1) Move to other discipline of IT, may be project management.
2) Change company or specialize via upgrades
3) Change company or try internal move
4) See 1-3.

As I progress, I keep asking myself if I'm sick of tech yet and slowly I'm but not completely.

As for pay, you need to get into tier 1 energy companies. While most tech jobs had been outsourced, most still need tech knowledge to design and enforce architectures.

And if your wife's job is steady and with plenty of health coverage, try contracting. You have a bit more control on how to pay yourself which may give you more $.

speedog
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Spent 26.5 years at TELUS in a variety of positions (management and non-management) including field maintenance, outside plant maintenance, network operations center, desktop support, network management and network engineering - when I finally decided to resign and move on, I can honestly say that I loved my job, my crew, my boss and even the money wasn't half bad. The reason for leaving - I couldn't stand working for the company any more and knew that I probably still had another 20 years working life ahead of me as retirement at 55 just wasn't in the cards - not because of money but more because I enjoy being busy.

So my wife and I moved on and purchased our own business some 5+ years ago and it was the best thing we could've done - yeah, it comes with it's risks and different worries but we directly control our own destiny now and there is much satisfaction that comes from that. One interesting and new thing to me was being in a customer facing position and after five years, I would dearly miss that interaction with our customers (and their wonderful dogs) - some whom I have come to know quite well and many of whom buy me coffee in the morning.

All I can say to you, nzwasp, is don't stay in a career if it's just for the money - if there is something out there that even remotely interests you than do some digging to find out more about it. Hell, I never dreamed that owning our own business and directly interacting with customers could be a part of my future and that it would be such a rewarding experience, but here I am some five years into it and I can honestly say that another 15 years of doing this doesn't scare or bore me in the least bit.

tom_9109
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
If you're UNHAPPY, move.

If you just think its greener on the other side, DON'T.

sabad66
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Agree with above... Sounds like you need a new job. What exactly are you doing? ("IT" is such a broad term that could be anything from level 1 help desk to sr. Program Manager)

If its service desk then salary seems right, but the also really low for something more specialized with 10 yrs exp.

nzwasp
05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Agree with above... Sounds like you need a new job. What exactly are you doing? ("IT" is such a broad term that could be anything from level 1 help desk to sr. Program Manager)

If its service desk then salary seems right, but the also really low for something more specialized with 10 yrs exp.

I'm a network analyst for a large telco.

I like some aspects of my job for instance field work and projects. Its just that the norm is reactive network problems which at this client nothing ever breaks. Yesterday was the exception to this - had a oncall problem that i was called out to drive to a town 200km away and spent the day there fixing a problem. My client even gave my manager a commendation of me going above and beyond for the company.

Days and recognition like that make me proud of my work however its few and far between.

macman64
05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
If you are only busy for 30 minutes a day in IT you need to switch employers. Maybe look at going to an IT consulting firm?