PDA

View Full Version : Luxury cars maintenance cost

wingku
05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey guys,

Of all the luxury brands, Audi, BMW, Infinity, Acura, Mercedes etc. I heard that the maintenance cost could be much higher than for example a Honda accord. People been telling me an oil change on a BMW is a few hundred bucks.

Can you please advise on which manufacture would be the least expensive in terms of the service maintenance cost?

I don't know much about cars so your feedback would be much appreciated.

Kloubek
05-08-2013, 02:28 PM
German brands are typically the most expensive to maintain.

Honestly - if you're concerned about expensive parts, you probably shouldn't be buying a luxury vehicle.

GQBalla
05-08-2013, 02:30 PM
if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

serious note.
Acura will be the least expensive.

Don't go buy a luxury car, though im pretty sure the Mini you drive isn;t too bad for maintenance.

If you buy used, you can save money by doing it yourself obviously. Parts are generally more expensive. Labour at the dealer will eat you

rach
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I thought the OP is referring to Ferraris, Lambos, etc.

Xtrema
05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by wingku
Hey guys,

Of all the luxury brands, Audi, BMW, Infinity, Acura, Mercedes etc. I heard that the maintenance cost could be much higher than for example a Honda accord. People been telling me an oil change on a BMW is a few hundred bucks.

Can you please advise on which manufacture would be the least expensive in terms of the service maintenance cost?

I don't know much about cars so your feedback would be much appreciated.

New or used? New BMW and Audi comes with scheduled maintenance. There's nothing you have to worry about.

Use and allergic to maintenance cost? Stick with the Japanese brands.

Disoblige
05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by rach
Hah. These days, ~$30k gets you what they call "entry level" luxury.

ganesh
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rach
+1 I was thinking the same thing.

BMW gives you 4Yr or 80K maintenance for their vehicles. The only thing which is not vovered is any wear and tear.
As pointed out here if you were to pay from the pocket for any work on a German car it is expensive.

wingku
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I no longer have the mini. It was a lease and was up and the mini was returned.

As I mentioned before I don't know much about cars so luxury (nice) cars for me are Audi, BMW etc....sure Luxury means the Lambos and the Ferraris but I'm just try to stick to what's attainable for me.

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it".... so we shouldn't ask questions, do our homework and be well informed before making a sound decision?

ganesh
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I no longer have the mini. It was a lease and was up and the mini was returned.

As I mentioned before I don't know much about cars so luxury (nice) cars for me are Audi, BMW etc....sure Luxury means the Lambos and the Ferraris but I'm just try to stick to what's attainable for me.

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it".... so we shouldn't ask questions, do our homework and be well informed before making a sound decision?
I agree with you on the " If you have to ask you can't afford quote" It is a over used quote. It is not like every one blindly goes and spend money on expensive things.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Here's an idea for some costs on my BMW.

Oil changes cost me $105 in parts to do myself, otherwise the dealer charges $130+tax, brake job at the dealer including pads,rotors and sensors is around $1500, did I'd myself with pads and sensors the first time at 52500km for $300 in parts, clutch job at the dealer would be around $900, battery at the dealer is around $350 including "coding" again I did that myself for just the cost of the battery and used my dads software to reset everything, air filter I bought online for $50, one of my dimming mirrors failed and the glass costs $495 plus tax alone (can be bought online for $275ish).

flipstah
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Hah. These days, ~$30k gets you what they call "entry level" luxury.

"Entry-level luxury". That phrase is oxymoronic. :rofl:

But yeah, you gotta pay to play.

wingku
05-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ganesh

I agree with you on the " If you have to ask you can't afford quote" It is a over used quote. It is not like every one blindly goes and spend money on expensive things.

Thanks for understanding the rationale of this thread! :thumbsup:

wingku
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Here's an idea for some costs on my BMW.

Oil changes cost me $105 in parts to do myself, otherwise the dealer charges $130+tax, brake job at the dealer including pads,rotors and sensors is around $1500, did I'd myself with pads and sensors the first time at 52500km for $300 in parts, clutch job at the dealer would be around $900, battery at the dealer is around $350 including "coding" again I did that myself for just the cost of the battery and used my dads software to reset everything, air filter I bought online for $50, one of my dimming mirrors failed and the glass costs $495 plus tax alone (can be bought online for $275ish).

Thanks much for this information. So it appears that people are mostly paying the dealership money where the parts were still fairly affordable if you are handy and DIY.

wingku
05-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Would Lexus cost less in comparison to German made vehicles?

CapnCrunch
05-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Worst piece of advice in this thread.

SkiBum5.0
05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Would Lexus cost less in comparison to German made vehicles?

Yes they would and I have heard great things about their service department (demo's are easy to get, white glove treatment etc).

sidewaysD
05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I am suprised you dont have any American luxury cars in there..

Depending on the price range.. The new Buicks are quick, reliable, nicley loaded, and have great handling to the Japanese counter-parts.

a nice Cadilliac CTS as well? with great handling and power. :dunno:

duaner
05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
As to the OP, that's a question I've been thinking about as I've been interested in Audi and Volvo (among others) for a while, although I won't be stepping up for some time yet. I want to know approximately how much more I would be paying for anything from oil changes to bigger ticket items.

What are the typical shop labour rates for luxury dealerships? Brasso is $130/hr, iirc, so it's not like they're cheap. If "Audi" or "Volvo" charge $150/hr, then that is an insignificant difference from what I currently pay, but if they charge $200+/hr, then that starts to make a difference.

So, yeah, the whole "if you have to ask, you can't afford it," is nonsense because depending on just how much it costs, one might be able to afford it. Not to mention reliability and just how often a given vehicle is likely to be in the shop needs to be considered. If my Altima had to be in the shop every month for repairs or maintenance compared to some luxury vehicle that didn't need to see the inside of the shop that often, it could very well be the same or even cheaper to own a luxury vehicle. See what I'm saying?

Sugarphreak
05-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Lexus and Acura (and maybe Infinity to some extent) should cost less to maintain than German luxury just because they come from Japanese lineage.

American luxury is probably cheaper up front, however long term it is a pain in the ass because they are not reliable and you get a fuck-you tax added onto parts. You quickly learn they are usually dressed up mainstream vehicles more than anything else.

Germans still build the nicest true luxury, expensive up front and ongoing maintenance is higher than normal, but they last.

Going to agree with this, mostly I see Cadillacs are cheaper than German brands but when it's time for repairs they come early and they cost a lot.

wingku
05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by duaner
As to the OP, that's a question I've been thinking about as I've been interested in Audi and Volvo (among others) for a while, although I won't be stepping up for some time yet. I want to know approximately how much more I would be paying for anything from oil changes to bigger ticket items.

What are the typical shop labour rates for luxury dealerships? Brasso is $130/hr, iirc, so it's not like they're cheap. If "Audi" or "Volvo" charge $150/hr, then that is an insignificant difference from what I currently pay, but if they charge $200+/hr, then that starts to make a difference.

So, yeah, the whole "if you have to ask, you can't afford it," is nonsense because depending on just how much it costs, one might be able to afford it. Not to mention reliability and just how often a given vehicle is likely to be in the shop needs to be considered. If my Altima had to be in the shop every month for repairs or maintenance compared to some luxury vehicle that didn't need to see the inside of the shop that often, it could very well be the same or even cheaper to own a luxury vehicle. See what I'm saying?

Agreed 100%!

flipstah
05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by duaner

Your rationale is moot because with a car, you either:

- Get hit with little things slowly that adds up big
- Get one big bill, which is most European cars.

You pay either way +/-; just depends if you want to feel it a little bit at a time or one big shot.

Considesigns
05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Luxury cars = Audi, BMW, Benz, etc.

Exotic/Super cars = Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

As far as maintenance goes on my German car, it takes 13L of oil on oil changes.
A battery control manager goes for about $700.
An alternator for my vehicle goes for about $150 but the engine needs to be taken out for them to reach it.
Bulb replacements can take up to 3 hours of labour.

Hope these examples can help out. Even though parts may cost more or it may take more labour time, the parts generally last a long time and especially if you're purchasing or leasing a new vehicle, by the time the warranty runs out, all the kinks should be worked out.

As far as repairs go, people may say that it'll cost you $2-4 thousand dollars per year. That is not always the case.

If you're the perfectionist type of person, yes it'll cost around that amount per year.
However, if you're the type of person who likes to repair parts when they absolutely need it, it'll cost a little less as generally German cars typically don't get catastrophic failures. They start as a small problem and eventually turn into a bigger one. (If it's anything like my 12 cylinder vehicle).

wingku
05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
I never though about the American luxury line such as the Caddie and the Buick but yeah those could definitely be included in this debate. I am not writing that off neither.

I have been driving Japanese since I got my license many years ago. Maintenance cost was really reasonable and it hardly requires any more work other than the regular scheduled services. When I was leasing the Mini, the service is at BMW Crowfoot and it wasn't pleasant. They overbooked so many vehicles in a day and I wasn't sure if it was because mine wasn't a BMW and "just" a mini....it was down on the list and they couldn't even complete a regular oil change on the same day and definitely cost more than the Japanese.

So when the time comes to purchase the next vehicle, of course I am doing my research to find the best vehicle with the best service. High cost is one thing but if the cost is high, then the customer experience and the quality's got to be there as well.

;)

wingku
05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Considesigns
Luxury cars = Audi, BMW, Benz, etc.

Exotic/Super cars = Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

As far as maintenance goes on my German car, it takes 13L of oil on oil changes.
A battery control manager goes for about $700.
An alternator for my vehicle goes for about $150 but the engine needs to be taken out for them to reach it.
Bulb replacements can take up to 3 hours of labour.

Hope these examples can help out. Even though parts may cost more or it may take more labour time, the parts generally last a long time and especially if you're purchasing or leasing a new vehicle, by the time the warranty runs out, all the kinks should be worked out.

As far as repairs go, people may say that it'll cost you $2-4 thousand dollars per year. That is not always the case.

If you're the perfectionist type of person, yes it'll cost around that amount per year.
However, if you're the type of person who likes to repair parts when they absolutely need it, it'll cost a little less as generally German cars typically don't get catastrophic failures. They start as a small problem and eventually turn into a bigger one. (If it's anything like my 12 cylinder vehicle).

Thanks for the info, definitely helpful!

ganesh
05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I never though about the American luxury line such as the Caddie and the Buick but yeah those could definitely be included in this debate. I am not writing that off neither.

I have been driving Japanese since I got my license many years ago. Maintenance cost was really reasonable and it hardly requires any more work other than the regular scheduled services. When I was leasing the Mini, the service is at BMW Crowfoot and it wasn't pleasant. They overbooked so many vehicles in a day and I wasn't sure if it was because mine wasn't a BMW and "just" a mini....it was down on the list and they couldn't even complete a regular oil change on the same day and definitely cost more than the Japanese.

So when the time comes to purchase the next vehicle, of course I am doing my research to find the best vehicle with the best service. High cost is one thing but if the cost is high, then the customer experience and the quality's got to be there as well.

;)

If you want good customer service stay away from the BMW in Calgary. Both dealer ships are owned by the same guy and they provide very bad customer service.

Xtrema
05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I remember Audi shop rate is $160-$180/hr.

For out of warranty service, it's cheaper and better to head to TuneDub.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2013, 03:36 PM

If you want good customer service stay away from the BMW in Calgary. Both dealer ships are owned by the same guy and they provide very bad customer service. Agreed, also stay away from Docksteader Subaru in Vancouver, also owned by him and terrible service when I was there.

BigShow
05-09-2013, 06:20 PM
and what about Aston Martin or Bentley?

Redlyne_mr2
05-09-2013, 06:47 PM

If you want good customer service stay away from the BMW in Calgary. Both dealer ships are owned by the same guy and they provide very bad customer service.

What's your experience been? I've worked in the auto industry in Calgary for a long time and the crew over at the BMW Gallery is some of the best I've seen. PM me if there is anything you ever need a hand with.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

What's your experience been? I've worked in the auto industry in Calgary for a long time and the crew over at the BMW Gallery is some of the best I've seen. PM me if there is anything you ever need a hand with.

You guys in sales are great, service has not been the best to deal with in our experiences, both at the Gallery and Calgary BMW.

revelations
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by BigShow
and what about Aston Martin or Bentley?

Buddy has a Aston, its nice but exotic in terms of maintenance. 2000$ for regluar maintenance just recently.

Asian_defender
05-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I own a lexus and I find the service fantastic. Nothing beats the valet service.
An oil change with mobil 1 costs about $175. Keep this mind this is every 8k
My service @ 32k is running me about $700 (filters,brake fluid,oil etc). Labour is about $137/Hr
Like others have said when things go wrong it costs a ton of money, for example the speedometer needle costs about 2k to fix if the lume stops working, 7k if NAV dies on me but generally these cars are fairly reliable. Are you looking at purchasing new or used?

ganesh
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Sales wise I had one of the bad experiences at Gallery when I first started looking for a BMW. Ended up buying a totally different vehicle. A friend of mine convinced me to go to Calgary BMW and ended up buying my first BMW from there. Since then I have bought 3 BMW's from there. As mentioned here the sales process is some what acceptable but when it comes to service all I hear is excuse after excuse. It is horrible. I have complained to service manager , GM and BMW Canada and nothing has changed. - This is the problem of one person owning both dealer ship.
Both dealer ships knows that they can do what ever they want and get away with it because of people like me who are sucked into owning a BMW. I have to admit of lately I am starting to wonder why I have to pay all this money and put up with this sub standard customer service. I think it is most likely that my current ride will be last BMW I will own unless a new dealer ship opens up.

wingku
05-09-2013, 11:18 PM

Sales wise I had one of the bad experiences at Gallery when I first started looking for a BMW. Ended up buying a totally different vehicle. A friend of mine convinced me to go to Calgary BMW and ended up buying my first BMW from there. Since then I have bought 3 BMW's from there. As mentioned here the sales process is some what acceptable but when it comes to service all I hear is excuse after excuse. It is horrible. I have complained to service manager , GM and BMW Canada and nothing has changed. - This is the problem of one person owning both dealer ship.
Both dealer ships knows that they can do what ever they want and get away with it because of people like me who are sucked into owning a BMW. I have to admit of lately I am starting to wonder why I have to pay all this money and put up with this sub standard customer service. I think it is most likely that my current ride will be last BMW I will own unless a new dealer ship opens up.

This is exactly why I opened up this thread.

These information people share on this forum is invaluable.

I have always admired BMW and wanted one but at the same time, after having the mini and had to go through their service department. It just doesn't induce any confidence.

So how does BMW and Audi compare? In terms of service cost and also the overall customer experience?

I think to be more specific, I will probably go with pre-owned vehicle and perhaps between BMW/Audi/Lexus/Infinity.

flipstah
05-10-2013, 12:58 AM

This is exactly why I opened up this thread.

These information people share on this forum is invaluable.

I have always admired BMW and wanted one but at the same time, after having the mini and had to go through their service department. It just doesn't induce any confidence.

So how does BMW and Audi compare? In terms of service cost and also the overall customer experience?

I think to be more specific, I will probably go with pre-owned vehicle and perhaps between BMW/Audi/Lexus/Infinity.

Audi service is better than BMW, for me at least. Plus, the VAG-COM programming system in Audi's are easier to get a hold of than BMW (only dealerships have the BMW programming kit, I believe).

clem24
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I took my '11 C63 in for it's yearly scheduled maintenance last October (only 1 oil change per year).. This was Service B I think. They change oil, change brake fluid, do a complete inspection, and some other stupid things. Cost was over $900. This year should be half the price.

But yeah, within the warranty period, it'll be going to the dealer. Once it's off warranty, I'll be taking it to my mechanic.

No ways around it.. It's pricey. Their clientele is also quite different.. Many just don't care and just want 'what's best for their car' regardless of cost. For example, when I reviewed my invoice, I gave them shit for replacing the battery in my key fob. They charged me $15 to replace the $1 battery that I put in just a month ago. Didn't bother checking it. The response was "it's on the Service B list, so we just do it". Anyway they were understanding and put a credit on my account (hey I am Asian, it's in my blood).

I know where you're coming from - before my C, I've owned 2 Toyotas and 2 Subarus, and my wife's Honda, all of which I've done self maintenance, so yeah, the $900 is BIG TIME sticker shock to say the least. Not an issue of whether you can afford it or not. They also feed you bullshit like "oh it's AMG it's gonna cost you" but more like "oh it's AMG so we're milk this shit for all it's worth". I mean they replaced nothing AMG.. It's not like the car gets special AMG oil and AMG brake fluid.. It's just Mobil1, which isn't even that great to begin with!

wingku
05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I had many opportunities to pull the trigger but I've been so hesitant because of what you said....

I am willing to pay the money if it is reasonable but a lot of times, like you said, they are just milking the system because here in Calgary, we have the oil money and people just don't care about how they are spending it.

I'm Asian too, it's also in my blood! :clap:

benyl
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by clem24
I took my '11 C63 in for it's yearly scheduled maintenance last October (only 1 oil change per year).. This was Service B I think. They change oil, change brake fluid, do a complete inspection, and some other stupid things. Cost was over $900. This year should be half the price.

But yeah, within the warranty period, it'll be going to the dealer. Once it's off warranty, I'll be taking it to my mechanic.

No ways around it.. It's pricey. Their clientele is also quite different.. Many just don't care and just want 'what's best for their car' regardless of cost. For example, when I reviewed my invoice, I gave them shit for replacing the battery in my key fob. They charged me $15 to replace the $1 battery that I put in just a month ago. Didn't bother checking it. The response was "it's on the Service B list, so we just do it". Anyway they were understanding and put a credit on my account (hey I am Asian, it's in my blood).

I know where you're coming from - before my C, I've owned 2 Toyotas and 2 Subarus, and my wife's Honda, all of which I've done self maintenance, so yeah, the $900 is BIG TIME sticker shock to say the least. Not an issue of whether you can afford it or not. They also feed you bullshit like "oh it's AMG it's gonna cost you" but more like "oh it's AMG so we're milk this shit for all it's worth". I mean they replaced nothing AMG.. It's not like the car gets special AMG oil and AMG brake fluid.. It's just Mobil1, which isn't even that great to begin with!

Lonestar or Hyatt? My service B was $600.

clem24
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Acura or Lexus MIGHT be a little cheaper though not having owned either, I can't really say for sure. The main sticking point though is that it is almost all labour. To do the complete inspection takes something like 2 or 3 hours I think and that's what I was paying for.

Honestly I don't think this should really turn you off.. And also depends what you're buying. If you're buying something like a newer BMW, then as mentioned, the maintenance is covered, whereas if you buy something a little older that's also off warranty, then you can pretty much take it anywhere or heck, do maintenance yourself.

European luxury cars don't run on fairy dust.. It's the same as any other car. A BMW like the E46 is fairly reliable, and because it's such a hugely popular car, DIY instructions to replace anything is all over the internet.

And recently, Euro brands have been hugely reliable. My C, in it's 2 years, has never been in for any warranty work; absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it (knock on wood). And really, there's nothing made in Japan (IS-F, no thanks) or America (CTS-V, not NA) that even comes close to it. It's a fantastic machine. The quality of materials may not be top end luxury, but there's just something about a European car that neither Japanese nor Americans can reproduce. Could be just psychological but what it is, it's there.

I suggest you get the car your heart wants. Bite the bullet. If you went for something Japanese, you'll ALWAYS wonder what that BMW or Merc would've been like, and in a year, you'll be again in the same boat, asking the same questions, starting another thread on Beyond, and looking on Kijiji LOL.

Redlyne_mr2
05-10-2013, 12:29 PM

What exactly is the issue? You can PM me if you'd like.

clem24
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Lonestar or Hyatt? My service B was $600.

Hyatt just cause I work downtown. I am pretty sure it was Service B.. The car had about 25k KMs. Will go to Lone Star next time if that is the price disparity.

My buddy also with '11 C63 and AMG package got quoted something like $6k for a brake job.. They want to replace all pads, rotors (2 piece), sensors. I was like WTF. Oh, BTW, his car has 25k KMs and the pads are only 50% worn. I was like WTF x 1,000,000.

ganesh
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM

What exactly is the issue? You can PM me if you'd like.

It is not just one issue with every single purchase I ran in to multiple issues. Like I said in my comment I have complained from top to bottom and not a single thing has changed.
I am not intrested in listing down the issues again because I know nothing will change and it is only going to get me more agitated.

Thnks for your concern and the offer.

Impreza
05-10-2013, 02:24 PM
My first service on my 2012 C350 coupe was $450 lol. I'm not sure if that was Service A or B, though.

On my old 2006 BMW M Coupe, I remember the cost was ~$2500 on the service that included a valve adjustment.

benyl
05-10-2013, 03:13 PM
I've done two service As and they have both come in under $300.

clem24
05-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I've done two service As and they have both come in under $300.

Where do you take your car?

benyl
05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Lone star.

Eis
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Hyundai Genesis?

I read from other forums that dealership maintenance costs are quite reasonable, and 429-horsepower and Lexicon audio system look good on paper. I really do not mind a bargain Korean AMG. It is sad that Lexus and Infiniti are no longer the bargains that they once were, and not many “average” brands offer RWD sedans.

Also, does anyone know whether or not dealerships charge more for fewer services in Calgary than other cities? It feels like there is little competition in the luxury car market here, and the service industry (not just car dealerships) charges people like they are all oil and gas executives.

wingku
05-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Eis
It feels like there is little competition in the luxury car market here, and the service industry (not just car dealerships) charges people like they are all oil and gas executives. [/B]

so true. :dunno:

clem24
05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Eis
I read from other forums that dealership maintenance costs are quite reasonable, and 429-horsepower and Lexicon audio system look good on paper. I really do not mind a bargain Korean AMG.

LOL a bargain AMG? Dude you're dreaming. If you're referring to the fact they're RWD, I guess so, but that's gonna be about it.

Eis
05-13-2013, 01:26 PM

LOL a bargain AMG? Dude you're dreaming. If you're referring to the fact they're RWD, I guess so, but that's gonna be about it.

Do you have experience driving the Genesis?

I just read some reviews, and the R-spec is barely faster than the Lexus GS350 because of slow gear changes. Surprisingly, reviews say the R-spec has better steering feel than the new GS.

However, the Genesis is the most reliable car in its class, which includes the A6, 5-series and E-class, and there are many dealerships, and services will be a lot cheaper than the fancy brands.

I am thinking of getting a cheap used one as a daily beater and wait for the car that I really want to come along. (I just can’t stand FWD transversely mounted engine cars!)

M.alex
05-13-2013, 02:18 PM

So you basically paid $1k to change oil and brake fluid.
http://www.troll.me/images/high-expectations-asian-father/son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

joech
05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
I bought 2 BMWs from Calgary BMW and never had any issue with sales or service.

Acura and Lexus maintenances are just as much as BMW. I almost choke when the dealer told me the cost to replace the brakes on my wife's MDX

Here are my examples

Oil change
2009 Acura MDX $65 (parts cost ~20 with dyno oil) dealer profit $40
Lexus RX350 $90 + (parts cost ~25 with dyno oil) dealer profit 65
2011 X6 35i $132 (parts cost ~84 with 8 litres of synthetic oil ) dealer profit 48

Brakes job
2009 MDX new pads F & R, machine all 4 rotors $1250 ($240 more for new rotors)
2011 X6 new pads & rotors (front & rear) $1062

Eis
05-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Luxury car dealerships offer "free" juices, ice coffee, and bottle water. Just make sure you grab 20 bottles before you leave.

Disoblige
05-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Eis
Luxury car dealerships offer "free" juices, ice coffee, and bottle water. Just make sure you grab 20 bottles before you leave.
You know how I know owning luxury is not for you? :rofl:

max_boost
05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Everyone should just follow BMW and have the maintenance included/charged up front into the selling price. Consumers won't notice and they will think it's free!

r3ccOs
05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
$164 for oilchange and brake inspection at valentine Volvo

$125 for 2 wipers, installed...

bargin :P

Team_Mclaren
05-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by joech
Here are my examples

Oil change
2009 Acura MDX $65 (parts cost ~20 with dyno oil) dealer profit $40
Lexus RX350 $90 + (parts cost ~25 with dyno oil) dealer profit 65
2011 X6 35i $132 (parts cost ~84 with 8 litres of synthetic oil ) dealer profit 48

I dont get how thats profit? Dealer has to pay someone to do it...

clem24
05-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

You know how I know owning luxury is not for you? :rofl:

I thought it was the Spec R = bargain AMG comment. :D

Sugarphreak
05-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Disoblige
05-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Wtf is dyno oil? It's dino oil you twat.
Fixed :rofl:

FraserB
05-14-2013, 08:51 AM
I need to sidetrack this thread temporarily

So is this an actual term people use now?

If I am not correct it is derived from "Dinosaur Oil" which refers to extracted and refined oil VS synthetic oil. So why is it being changed to Dyno (which refers more towards accepted slang for dynamometer scale) which almost implies that it is for more power.

One thing I have learned is that even if you can afford a $100k car, you can still have the communication skills of a high schooler.

Eis
05-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Hey, not everyone is willing to pay $900 for an oil change, but someone has to keep children of AMG technicians in college.

Xtrema
05-14-2013, 09:27 AM

Hey, if it weren't for that thinking, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti won't exist today. :dunno:

ducaudi
05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
How would you guys rate Rigel Tuning for service? Anyone here use them? Looks reputable, but I'm guessing on par with dealership pricing or not?

Mitsu3000gt
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Eis

Hey, not everyone is willing to pay $900 for an oil change, but someone has to keep children of AMG technicians in college.

Since when does MB charge $900 for an oil change? Pretty sure it's under $200.

You sound exactly like the type of person who should probably own a Hyundai, and I don't mean that as an insult. You seem to be rather turned off by the German brands.

Hallowed_point
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I want me some of that new fangled DYNO oil dammit.

I needs all the horse I can round up!!

rage2
05-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Since when does MB charge $900 for an oil change? Pretty sure it's under $200.

You sound exactly like the type of person who should probably own a Hyundai, and I don't mean that as an insult. You seem to be rather turned off by the German brands.
Yea, they don't. Eis isn't understanding the major service B work. The $600 Service B is a huge inspection to identify warranty repairs, lube service on all the joints, as well as the $200 oil change. It's labour intensive, and since nothing is really done, a lot of people find it to be a waste of money. Unfortunately, it's required for warranty compliance.

Not sure why clem paid $900 tho, I only remember mine being in the $600-700 range even with the extra non warranty parts identified.

The minor service A (it alternates between the 2) costs around $300, most of it is oil money.

Also, the service is the same price for normal MB's and AMG's. Only the SLS and SLR has a separate service schedule which is way more money.

clem24
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Haha OK I am curious now too.. Gonna look closer at my invoice again.

turbotrip
05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
pops just paid $1100 for a standard service on an E350 @ Lonestar, i think the car is around 70-80,000 kms? I'll try to post the invoice tonight

Xtrema
05-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Benyl's and Rage's prices are not bad. But Clem's and Turbotrip's are a bit out there especially for non-AMG cars. Did they get upselled?

962 kid
05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
The Benz services are pretty widely varied in cost and services performed. A b service is usually a good inspection, oil change, and filter change. The crazy costs come up when the "additional menu items" are called up on the assyst display. Outside of the a/b/c/d/e/f service, the car will bring up a list of items that may need to be addressed outside of the standard service and those items are to be charged separately. A lot of the times those services (brake flush, spark plugs, fuel filters, etc) are not required, but when they are it can get pricey quickly and all of a sudden you have a $1000 dollar b service. The trick is to be sure that any additional items performed were actually required - the additional items are inspection based as well, showing up on the assyst screen alone is not grounds for completing the service.

G
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Benyl's and Rage's prices are not bad. But Clem's and Turbotrip's are a bit out there especially for non-AMG cars. Did they get upselled?

Clem has the Beyond Civic with the performance package as well...so he didn't get upsold.

nj2Type-S
05-15-2013, 01:03 PM
do you guys take your higher end cars (bmw, mb, audi) to the dealership for any maintenance even after the warranty had lapsed? wouldn't you just take it to a reputable shop to get the same service for a relatively lower cost?

maintenance cost is the reason why i'm scared to buy german cars.

Aleks
05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
do you guys take your higher end cars (bmw, mb, audi) to the dealership for any maintenance even after the warranty had lapsed? wouldn't you just take it to a reputable shop to get the same service for a relatively lower cost?

maintenance cost is the reason why i'm scared to buy german cars.

I took my BMWs to BMW dealers. I found the regular maintenance costs there no more expensive than at Honda for example. Brakes were sub 500 for pads, rotors, sensors and labour, belts sub 200, oil 140 per 24,000kms. Plus they gave me free loaners every time. 100% happy with their service.

max_boost
05-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Porsche yearly maintenance which consists of oil/ air filters and a thorough inspection of the car head to toe is about $600.

turbotrip
05-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
pops just paid $1100 for a standard service on an E350 @ Lonestar, i think the car is around 70-80,000 kms? I'll try to post the invoice tonight

Ok it was the F service @ 89,000kms and here is what they did for a whopping $1,086.73:

Performed FSS scope 'F' major service, items: 2,3,7,9,12 and 14; changed engine oil and filter, adjusted tire pressures, front at 2mm, rear at 0mm tread depth (estimate new tires), inspected brakes: front at 9mm (60%) and rear at 8mm (62%), checked all lights, topped up fluid levels, performed brake fluid flush, inspected and replaced dirty engine air and cabin dust filter elements. as per service sheet, spark plugs replaced ($260).

so pretty much just an oil change, brake flush, and spark plugs/air filters replaced lol. but i guess its still not too bad compared to the battery alone in my car costing $480 to replace at the dealership!

M.alex
05-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Ok it was the F service @ 89,000kms and here is what they did for a whopping $1,086.73:

Performed FSS scope 'F' major service, items: 2,3,7,9,12 and 14; changed engine oil and filter, adjusted tire pressures, front at 2mm, rear at 0mm tread depth (estimate new tires), inspected brakes: front at 9mm (60%) and rear at 8mm (62%), checked all lights, topped up fluid levels, performed brake fluid flush, inspected and replaced dirty engine air and cabin dust filter elements. as per service sheet, spark plugs replaced ($260).

so pretty much just oil change, brake flush, and spark plugs/air filters replaced lol

For $100 I'll check his tire pressure and adjust as needed. It's a steal of a deal, LMK.

Sugarphreak
05-15-2013, 08:31 PM

flipstah
05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Porsche yearly maintenance which consists of oil/ air filters and a thorough inspection of the car head to toe is about $600.

That's not as bad as I thought it would be.